Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I expecting too much?

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can shed any light; I'm looking to get a new bike - a city / commuter hybrid with disc brakes. Am budgeting €450. Do I need to increase the budget?

Could I get one cheaper across the border?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i got a decent enough mountain bike in dunnes for 80 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For disc brakes on a city bike I reckon you are best looking at the Boardman "Performance Hybrid Comp" from Halfords, (www.boardmanbikes.com) but you would have to increase your budget (it's £450 GBP, not sure what it costs here.)

If you dump the disc brake requirement you have a lot more options, basically entry-level or slightly up from entry-level bikes from any of the big names, e.g. Dawes Discovery (saw one of the new ones in Joe Daly's this afternoon, they look really nice), Trek FX series, etc. Properly-adjusted rim brakes work fine on the road, discs aren't really necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Would discs offset the weight reduction achieved in a light-framed bike? Are there any advantages to them for a bike that's never going to stray off road?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Slice wrote: »
    Would discs offset the weight reduction achieved in a light-framed bike? Is there any advantages to them for a bike that's never going to stray off road?

In a word, no. Properly maintained brakes and more importantly, good bike handling skills will be enough to make up for the tiny benefit of disc brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Why the disc brakes requirement? You only see disc brakes on mtn bikes and that's because the wheel rims get dirty and make the brakes ineffective.

The LaPierre RCR100 would be nice and fast. You could easily get it for 450.

• Advertisement
Advertisement