Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tescos food out of date by 4 months

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I bought a packet of dried fruit from tescos yesterday and after eating some of it noticed that the best before date was march 2008. i took it back to store and they gave refund, and customer services contacted me stating they are awaiting info from their supplier before any action is taken.
    Surely it was tescos fault at not checking the best before dates on the items they are selling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

peelaaa wrote: »
    I bought a packet of dried fruit from tescos yesterday and after eating some of it noticed that the best before date was march 2008. i took it back to store and they gave refund, and customer services contacted me stating they are awaiting info from their supplier before any action is taken.
    Surely it was tescos fault at not checking the best before dates on the items they are selling?

This has happened to me laods of times. Highlighted it to the customer service rep, however they weren't too bothered with it. Almost felt as if it was my fault for not checking the dates.

I always check tesco dates now.....still find items out of date.....most lately Naan Bread mouldy in a plastic sealed packet.......the whole box! I informed the staff, the following week there were still a few "old-mouldy" Naans in the box! Wasting my time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 peelaaa

Haven't noticed this so much in other main supermarkets such as dunnes and superquinn, the tescos branch which is in ashbourne I have noticed out of day items quite a lot. I am thinking twice about shopping ther now. I wish they would **** off back to britain, ( and I am I british too!!)
    Superquinn is far superior imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Some things can be merchandised by others, like agencies or representatives of the supplier. They are supposed to check dates on their stuff. Though Tesco should be checking them too and four months is a bit much.

Didn't Dunnes get done for having so much out of date produce on the shelves Last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Tesco are a disaster when it comes to stock rotation. Thet spend zero training their staff and only worry about wastage

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Tonight in Mahon Point all their Brittany Butter was past their display date and 1 day short of best before..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It is possible that it came in out of date in a shipment thus they are awaiting to see what their supplier says.

It is up to the consumer to check that items are in date before purchase (even though they would generally give a refund as they did in this case) because it is pretty much impossible to ensure 100% of stock is in date i.e. there will always be one or two that slip by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Haven't noticed this so much in other main supermarkets such as dunnes and superquinn, the tescos branch which is in ashbourne I have noticed out of day items quite a lot. I am thinking twice about shopping ther now. I wish they would **** off back to britain, ( and I am I british too!!)
    Superquinn is far superior imho.

Noticed that too. I rarely shop in there now. Plus the staff are not the nicest in there either.

I find the SuperValu or Dunnes in Ashbourne far better...and cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

thats gross. surely the store should be checking use by dates as well as consumers?

I think of all the major stores that tescos are the worst for this. The stores in clondalkin and tallaght are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

axer wrote: »
    It is possible that it came in out of date in a shipment thus they are awaiting to see what their supplier says.

It is up to the consumer to check that items are in date before purchase (even though they would generally give a refund as they did in this case) because it is pretty much impossible to ensure 100% of stock is in date i.e. there will always be one or two that slip by.

I actually thought it was a once off with you in the thread I posted about Tall people flying but it seems you do in fact try and take the opposite stance on most of your posts :) and they are in fact devout of any real logic or help to the OP's.

Granted you know little about flying for such a well traveled man RE; But here you go again..

It is in fact not up to the Consumer to check dates, it is in fact a health and safety issue. Hence they cant refuse a refund ! the reason for this is products carry one or two dates from a pool of 3 options.

1 Display date.. this is like a warning for idiots to remove or track product... in this case a supermarket.. Supermarkets use POS systems that track all products and sales. they know the stuff is on the shelf .

2 Best Before date.. the one we all know and love :) the clue is in the name..
    Best Before is really short for "this product might cause harm or serious illness when its ingredients break down. Case in point Eggs :) think about it !

3 Use by date.. this date is for the consumer once they return home.. I don't need to explain this one.

The supermarket is responsible if a product is out of date.. Period ! :) and people like myself and the op should simply complain and then if possible not purchase items from shops that do in fact not track product or care to remove them. Would you like your child buying something out of date and eating it ? or someone who cant read ? or those blind people again ;) Its not the Customers problem its the shops problem :) hello....

Mold can kill you ;)

axer, you either just take the radical opposite position on posts for the hell of it or you in fact think that bad customer service is in fact a way of life and we should accept it :) Thats OK.. I will champion better services for you ! :) truly.. leave it to others :)

For the op, I once bought chicken from a supermarket that was 10 miles away from the house. I rang them after opening the packet, the smell nearly killed me and the dog. The manager, who knew me to see and accepted I was a good customer instructed me to return to the shop. in other words drive 20 miles.
    I explained I was not prepared to do this as I was unable to for a number of days and was equally not prepared to keep the rotten product in my house.
    Quick version.
    I posted it to him !, he returned postage and cost in vouchers, I returned them stating that I had in fact payed cash. we argued, ahhhhhhhhhhhh bless him, I then charged him for my time. A rather radical move and suggested the small claims court. my decision was based on the fact that he lost sight of who was the Good customer" and who was "wronged" the final bill was over 100 euros.. head office settled... I still use the supermarket as its handy. and on more than one occasion the manager has smiled and joked that my products were in date :) To which I reply, with a smile, thats one hell of an expensive chicken you bought ! :) I have never checked a date in the shop again. its no longer an issue. they have systems there and they are now using them.

The moral is simple. you accept bad service and you deserve it ! period..
    Im off for a chicken burger, anyone want chips ?? ;)

• Advertisement

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I actually thought it was a once off with you in the thread I posted about Tall people flying but it seems you do in fact try and take the opposite stance on most of your posts :) and they are in fact devout of any real logic or help to the OP's.
    I am trying to make sense of what the shop told the OP about them contacting the supplier. I am not going against anyone.
    Granted you know little about flying for such a well traveled man RE; But here you go again..
    What has flying got to do with this thread?
    It is in fact not up to the Consumer to check dates, it is in fact a health and safety issue. Hence they cant refuse a refund ! the reason for this is products carry one or two dates from a pool of 3 options.
    If you want to be 100% certain of never getting a product that is already gone off then it is up to the consumer to check this as it is impossible to ensure that 100% of stock on display is in date. Granted a shop will always refund on the out of date product but thats as far as they are expected to go on the matter i.e. they are not obliged to pay any compensation for loss of time etc.
    1 Display date.. this is like a warning for idiots to remove or track product... in this case a supermarket.. Supermarkets use POS systems that track all products and sales. they know the stuff is on the shelf .
    From what I know the supermarkets do not keep track of dates of products on display via pos. They just keep track of the numbers.
    axer, you either just take the radical opposite position on posts for the hell of it or you in fact think that bad customer service is in fact a way of life and we should accept it :) Thats OK.. I will champion better services for you ! :) truly.. leave it to others :)
    I think you need to take a chill pill :)
    For the op, I once bought chicken from a supermarket that was 10 miles away from the house. I rang them after opening the packet, the smell nearly killed me and the dog. The manager, who knew me to see and accepted I was a good customer instructed me to return to the shop. in other words drive 20 miles.
    I explained I was not prepared to do this as I was unable to for a number of days and was equally not prepared to keep the rotten product in my house.
    It is not the shops problem how far you live from the shop. There is no legal requirement for them to care about that.
    Quick version.
    I posted it to him !, he returned postage and cost in vouchers, I returned them stating that I had in fact payed cash. we argued, ahhhhhhhhhhhh bless him, I then charged him for my time. A rather radical move and suggested the small claims court. my decision was based on the fact that he lost sight of who was the Good customer" and who was "wronged" the final bill was over 100 euros.. head office settled... I still use the supermarket as its handy. and on more than one occasion the manager has smiled and joked that my products were in date :) To which I reply, with a smile, thats one hell of an expensive chicken you bought ! :) I have never checked a date in the shop again. its no longer an issue. they have systems there and they are now using them.
    The manager was doing you a favour by doing all of this by post. Did you want him to send cash via the post? You had no right under law to a remedy for any more cash than the cost of the product. They were probably just sick of the hassle. It is silly not to check the dates of products being purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Tesco seems like the old Crazy Prices from years ago. "Pile it high, sell it cheap!"

Never a pleasant experience to shop here. The staff have the look in their eyes that says, "Kill me!".

Supervalu or Superquinn.

Supervalu in Johnstown, Navan has some of the nicest, friendliest girls working there. Anyone of them could win the lovely girls competition, they certainly get my vote. :D

It is not the shops problem how far you live from the shop. There is no legal requirement for them to care about that.
    The manager was doing you a favour by doing all of this by post. Did you want him to send cash via the post? You had no right under law to a remedy for any more cash than the cost of the product. They were probably just sick of the hassle. It is silly not to check the dates of products being purchased.

Only quoting this because the other points are not worth bothering about, with the exception of the flight thread, its relevence is that you in fact give advice as if its fact :) then do a u-turn when you realise you dont know what you are talking about. You didnt know the regulations regarding emergence seats but continued de-railing a thread with your unfounded advice. then posted the regulations I gave you. ???
    Again here :) your advice is wrong.. :) you said you are only entitled to the cost price.. ahhhhhhhhhh natural justice :) look it up. A judge can award you anything in the small claims court, and if you step up from the small claims court you could be awarded millions. :) say your child eats an egg product and is hospitalised,,, so you are yet again wrong.. but dont worry, you have people like me protecting you from rotten food :)

Head office folded because they knew this :) simple as that. and as I explained to them, if they treat me unreasonably then expect a reaction. I am a very reasonable man, if the manager had simply sent me a check.. READ IT AGAIN.. I never said post me cash I simply wanted money.. I said I PAID IN CASH.. and wanted money not vouchers.. geezzz do I need to explain everything..

Lets not get to a point AGAIN wher eI have to tell you are RIGHT and wonderful.. ;)

Never a pleasant experience to shop here. The staff have the look in their eyes that says, "Kill me!".
    :D
    Great line, True and very funny ! ;)

Only quoting this because the other points are not worth bothering about, with the exception of the flight thread, its relevence is that you in fact give advice as if its fact :) then do a u-turn when you realise you dont know what you are talking about.
    You didnt know the regulations regarding emergence seats but continued de-railing a thread with your unfounded advice. then posted the regulations I gave you. ???
    Maybe thats because you didnt read my posts. Emergency exits are not the only seats with extra legroom. Take it to "I'm discrimminated against because I am tall" thread if you want to argue this.:)
    Again here :) your advice is wrong.. :) you said you are only entitled to the cost price.. ahhhhhhhhhh natural justice :) look it up. A judge can award you anything in the small claims court, and if you step up from the small claims court you could be awarded millions. :) say your child eats an egg product and is hospitalised,,, so you are yet again wrong.. but dont worry, you have people like me protecting you from rotten food :)
    You did not eat the rotten food so how would you be awarded any more than the cost of the product? Did you claim pyscological damages or something? Please read my posts before making your own little story up.:)
    Head office folded because they knew this :) simple as that
    They probably knew that it was more hassle than it was worth :)
    and as I explained to them, if they treat me unreasonably then expect a reaction. I am a very reasonable man, if the manager had simply sent me a check.. READ IT AGAIN.. I never said post me cash I simply wanted money.. I said I PAID IN CASH.. and wanted money not vouchers.. geezzz do I need to explain everything..
    Yes, because I wasn't there so how do I know what you want.:) If you are such a good customer and the manager knew you to see then you must go there regularly (or is there another reason he knows you to see). If that is the case then could you not have picked up the cash then?
    Lets not get to a point AGAIN wher eI have to tell you are RIGHT and wonderful.. ;)
    Yes, lets not get to that silly "I can't argue my point so I will be sarcastic instead" stage.:)

Please calm down and just argue a point if you have one and not to try and attack me instead. Play the ball and not the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

sunny2004 wrote:
    I actually thought it was a once off with you in the thread I posted about Tall people flying but it seems you do in fact try and take the opposite stance on most of your posts and they are in fact devout of any real logic or help to the OP's.

sunny2004 Consider yourself warned for attacking another poster. That is not permitted here.

axer You should know better.

Both of you, stop this squabbling. Argue using logic and reason, or else take it to PM.

dudara

@ Dudara no problem... I had in fact abandoned the conversation with that individual in the previous thread but felt the need to at least let the op know the advice was not based on facts. I am happy to not reply to the comments made by him above..

@ at the op, as mentioned earlier the current legal situation is simply the same no matter what you hear, and they will fold every time. you are entitled to claim anything reasonable. the legal term is natural justice. If you are in the right and have the stomach for it then all will be good.

I am not suggesting and did not suggest that you go in all guns blazing. but at the end of the day if you are disrespected or they fail to do the morally correct thing the you have to make a decision, walk or fight your point.
    I HAVE NEVER HAD TO STAND IN FRONT OF A JUDGE WITH ANY RETAILER ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I must admit I like Tesco's but Tesco Ireland has nothing on Tesco UK. The standards seem quite a bit lower!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Im finding this thread slightly amusing....as regards Tesco bashing.
    Tesco "inflict" uopon thier suppliers some of the strictest,most stringent codes of manufacturing standards anywhere.They have a team of technical people that decend on supplier sites without notice to conduct full hygeine,GMP and HACCP audits....if you had access to the Tesco Technical Library online you will see just how important product safety and qulaity is to the company.
    TBH...I really dont think Iv ever seen a "Display" date on a product...and what ifo would such a label give the consumer??
    2 Best Before date.. the one we all know and love the clue is in the name..
    Best Before is really short for "this product might cause harm or serious illness when its ingredients break down. Case in point Eggs think about it !
    Sorry...but your wrong there...Best Before simple means as it reads...post the date displayed the product has just passed its "Best"....serious illness or worse will not be a factor in consuming foods after thier best before.
    Use by date.. this date is for the consumer once they return home.. I don't need to explain this one.
    This is a serious product information label!!!!...Its this one that informs the consumer that the product must be used by the date displayed for reasons of product safety.
    Mold can kill you
    if i remember rightly...mould wont kill....but the toxins prouced by some types of moulds can cause serious illness.

Look...when its comes to retailing theres very often a human element in the chain....and people being people can make mistakes,not do thier job correctly and could be just bone lazy......but things like what happened to the OP can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Clytus wrote: »
    TBH...I really dont think Iv ever seen a "Display" date on a product...and what ifo would such a label give the consumer??

Display dates are often on fruit and veg. Not sure if they are used elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

All the supermarkets are guilty of selling produce that's out of date, not just Tesco. I still shudder when I think of the ham I bought from a Dunnes Stores a couple of months ago what was about a fortnight out of date. If I didn't notice the date before opening it, I certainly noticed the smell once I did :eek: Same thing has happened to me with Superquinn - it's certainly taught me to watch the dates.

Clytus wrote: »
    TBH...I really don't think Iv ever seen a "Display" date on a product...and what ifo would such a label give the consumer??

Sorry...but your wrong there...Best Before simple means as it reads...post the date displayed the product has just passed its "Best"....serious illness or worse will not be a factor in consuming foods after their best before.

This is a serious product information label!!!!...Its this one that informs the consumer that the product must be used by the date displayed for reasons of product safety.

if i remember rightly...mould wont kill....but the toxins prouced by some types of moulds can cause serious illness.

QUOTE]

You can eat anything that is beyond its best before date ? ? I have a tin of Sardines that are just over 2 years out of date. Fancy a sandwich ;)

So mold is ok ? ;) come on, please take what I wrote in context.

all is good, I think its semantics. but I am happy to send on the sardines as a friendly gesture ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The wife just bought "Soda Stream Diet Tonic Water" syrup in Tesco Dundrum- 2 years and 5 months out of date....... I should have suspected something- as I have no idea when I last saw Soda Stream products of any nature for sale anywhere here or in the UK. I really couldn't be arsed driving back to Dundrum- it'd cost me more in diesel than the syrup originally cost......

Do they not check the dates on products at all?

Re: Superquinn- last Saturday I had to point out to a staff member in the Fruit and Veg section in Superquinn that the entire crate of peaches that he was pricing at 2 for a fiver had random numbers of mouldy fruit per carton...... At least the customer services in there are a pleasure to deal with- they really could teach all the other retailers a thing or two about staff training.......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What utter nonsense. Whatever shortcomings the store have in making sure to keep it's stock up to date, it is no fault of the customer if they buy food that is gone off.

I can just imagine the carnage that would insue if some people I knew arrived back to a store with a gone off product to be met with the manager tutting and stating it was there fault and they should have checked the date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The staff have the look in their eyes that says, "Kill me!".

As I said in another thread, I've have previous dealings with the 2 main multiples in Ireland and Tesco are by far the best to work for compared to Dunnes.

Boggles wrote: »
    What utter nonsense. Whatever shortcomings the store have in making sure to keep it's stock up to date, it is no fault of the customer if they buy food that is gone off.
    How hard is it for people to check dates? I always check dates of goods before purchasing and choose the goods that have the furthest best before (etc.) date - isn't that partly why they are there? If the goods are gone off inside the date shown then that would be a completely different story.

I would think that a regular prudent person would always check the dates of items before purchasing. I would also expect the prudent person to quickly check cans for dents etc. or any obvious product deformity.

It is, in my opinion, pretty much impossible to 100% ensure that products are not gone passed their sell by date 100% of the time. There will always be some that slip through the cracks of a human "prone to error" system.
    I can just imagine the carnage that would insue if some people I knew arrived back to a store with a gone off product to be met with the manager tutting and stating it was there fault and they should have checked the date.
    A shop is going to replace the item generally but then what is stopping me buying a product say a packet of shaws ham. Then having forgotten about it in the back of the fridge it goes off. Then I go back to the shop purchase a new packet of the exact same shaws ham. I then return to the shop with the item that had gone off due to my own fault with my new receipt and claim a refund. Am I entitled to a refund? No. Will I get a refund? I'd say so.

How hard is it for people to check dates? I always check dates of goods before purchasing and choose the goods that have the furthest best before (etc.) date - isn't that partly why they are there? If the goods are gone off inside the date shown then that would be a completely different story.

I would think that a regular prudent person would always check the dates of items before purchasing. I would also expect the prudent person to quickly check cans for dents etc. or any obvious product deformity.

Irrelevant to your arguement. Buyer Beware is more advice than law. Certainly does not superseed Goods of Merchantable quality, etc.. But I assume you are well aware of that, so I don't understand why you have to argue the point.
    It is, in my opinion, pretty much impossible to 100% ensure that products are not gone passed their sell by date 100% of the time. There will always be some that slip through the cracks of a human "prone to error" system.

Again short comings of the business is nothing to do with the consumer.
    A shop is going to replace the item generally but then what is stopping me buying a product say a packet of shaws ham. Then having forgotten about it in the back of the fridge it goes off. Then I go back to the shop purchase a new packet of the exact same shaws ham. I then return to the shop with the item that had gone off due to my own fault with my new receipt and claim a refund. Am I entitled to a refund? No. Will I get a refund? I'd say so.

Nothing is stopping you, this is dishonesty and a completely different topic.

Irrelevant to your arguement. Buyer Beware is more advice than law. Certainly does not superseed Goods of Merchantable quality, etc.. But I assume you are well aware of that, so I don't understand why you have to argue the point.
    I never said it was law. I said if you want to ensure that you never get any goods out of date then it is up to the consumer to check the date which is clearly written on each item since I do not think a system that relies on humans is ever going to be 100.00% perfect.

The OP stated that he/she got his/her refund as he/she is entitled to by law and I never said that he/she was not entitled to it.
    Again short comings of the business is nothing to do with the consumer.
    It is the reality of the situation. It is the shortcomings of humans since it happens in, I would think, every shop.

I never said it was law. I said if you want to ensure that you never get any goods out of date then it is up to the consumer to check the date which is clearly written on each item since I do not think a system that relies on humans is ever going to be 100.00% perfect.

You implied that fault lay at the consumer if they purchased food that was out of date, and the store would be doing them a favour if they replaced or refunded the product. What about consumers that are innumerate or have sight difficulties?
    It is up to the consumer to check that items are in date before purchase (even though they would generally give a refund as they did in this case)

It is the reality of the situation. It is the shortcomings of humans since it happens in, I would think, every shop.

When is comes to a business it doesn't matter if it is the shortcomings of humans, cyborgs or the managers dog, the business is always 100% at fault in this case.

To imply anything else like you did is wrong.

• Advertisement

You implied that fault lay at the consumer if they purchased food that was out of date, and the store would be doing them a favour if they replaced or refunded the product. What about consumers that are innumerate or have sight difficulties?
    I said generally i.e. unless they suspected the scam I outlined above. Generally they would replace the item without question. People that are innumerate or have sight difficulties are always going to have problems either way thus are always more susceptible to problems.
    When is comes to a business it doesn't matter if it is the shortcomings of humans, cyborgs or the managers dog, the business is always 100% at fault in this case.

To imply anything else like you did is wrong.
    One could argue that under the sale of goods act 1980 the consumer had time to inspect the goods before purchase thus had ample opportunity to check the date on the product and still chose to purchase the item. I don't think any shop would argue that though or they would lose business fast.

Whilst I agree they are 100% at fault and a replacement product was due, the reality is that the only way to ensure that a consumer does not end up with an item out of date is to check the date of the item before purchasing. It is there for a reason and it is not that hard for the regular prudent person to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement