Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who uses words that their kids made up?

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Just to lighten the atmosphere a little:)
    I'll go first, my son @ ~3ish used the word Skibbitch to describe something that was dirty or untidy, and it has fallen into general use in our house.
    Anyone else use any made-up words?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

my daughter calls her grand dad " assey" "asseee?" , we all call him it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

For sure!

A helicopter is a happycop. :-)

An interesting one is our cat Bubblegum which our first daughter called "Gugum". This then became the new name for the cat. Then no. 2 comes along and Gugum turns into Gumgum.

It's funny, you think they are learning their language... but we're really learning theirs :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My son as a baby use to call Ornaments the Mornaments with emphisise on the M : We always remind him of it to

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Great thread!

Buddybo for bus / Waggy for Granny (poor Granny - even my dad calls her that now!) and bickybee for biscuit, I even have the lads in work using that one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Mayonaise is now Ooogle sauce, no idea why. This does cause confusion when we eat out though. 'Do you have Ooogle sauce?'

The answer is always no, strange that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Ha Ha. This thread is funny.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

"whoo-dy woo-dys" for pins and needles you get when your arm or leg goes to sleep. (Ive tried, but cant really spell it as its pronounced :D)

Granny's partner's name is Francois.

Little one called him Fanfan which has now stuck - even granny uses it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

There is an open space behind our back garden. We have a gate to get out to it. When my brothers were very young the use to call it the back-front. It's still used in our family and my son now knows it as the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

My daughter says dam if she's giving you something in the cutest soft voice big eyed way they do when they're being sweet. If i'm in trouble she says gob gob gob and wags her finger at me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Us as kids used squaggle. Its a cuddle where you nearly smother somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Brilliant thread !

All goa .... means something is finished

bumptbump means going down stairs ( as in bump bump ...... on your bottom ).

I am sure we have more

The latest thing ( not a word as such ) , we went to Belfast ( IKEA ) last week of course this is right next to the airport. So now all aeroplanes she sees are ' going to Belfast ', indeed she was building aeroplanes in Duplo last night that were going ' off to Belfast '
    :-)

I love the innocence

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Brilliant thread !

All goa .... means something is finished

bumptbump means going down stairs ( as in bump bump ...... on your bottom ).

I am sure we have more

The latest thing ( not a word as such ) , we went to Belfast ( IKEA ) last week of course this is right next to the airport. So now all aeroplanes she sees are ' going to Belfast ', indeed she was building aeroplanes in Duplo last night that were going ' off to Belfast '
    :-)

I love the innocence

She might be a pilot when she grows up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

scoff+gobble =scobble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You know the funny thing , her best outing ( and a cheap one for us ) is if we take her to Weston for half an hour ........

She is excited for days afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I love the innocence

Was called to look in a field a few weeks ago, where the cows were giving each other jockey backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mine like that too, to sit in the atrium bar and have a club orange :)

You know the funny thing , her best outing ( and a cheap one for us ) is if we take her to Weston for half an hour ........

She is excited for days afterwards

Where does she get the fascination from??

Are other family members into the likes of planes?

Brilliant thread !

Hee hee... that reminds me... we went to Canada for a wedding a couple of summers ago. Now every plane we see, she asks is it a 'Canada Plane' :-) Also funny... we were attending a barbeque at the bride's familiy's house the day after the wedding. They had a large garden with a swimming pool in the middle. We saw our DD just standing there looking at the pool, gob smaked.

The she said: "Wow! They've got the sea in their garden" Poor Irish girl... she never saw a pool before in somone's garden before!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

My mam made up a word that I used to use up until about the age of 14 or so. "smokarettes" instead of cigarettes....lol sounds so stupid now but I used to get annoyed when people didn't know what I was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm 24 years old and my parents still us the things we used to say as babies.

The main ones being that rice krispies are called skippies (my mum even writes skippies on her shopping list!) and Coleslaw is called Cossel.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

We call dinner "nums nums", something my 2nd child created. Helicopters are Hairycopters, going for a drive is still "going a day day". My youngest's playschool teacher tells them she's going to "chop the wing wangs off them" if they're naughty - I'd love to know what the wing wangs are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Going for a drive is beep peep, dinner is num nums unless hshe doesn't like it then its yocky! The dog is called puppy boo. Ah the cuteness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭EcoGirl

My sister who's now 32 used to call a hot water bottle a 'hoter bottle', and I imported that into my own family and we all use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Egg = Googie

Pacifier = Do-Do

Television Remote = Zapper (Pronounced Sapper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

tons of these in our family!"
    "shuebye" - fluff - eg between the toes, in belly button, or worst of all, in the mouth
    "skillage" - especially good skill in a football match
    "commentation" - commentary in a football match
    "meeno" - soother (dunno where it came from, child 3 decided this was the term to be used)
    "eeeeo" - merry go round - likewise, decision made by child 3, inexplicable.
    "pampa" - grampa, as per child 1, poor man now universally known as pampa
    "gribbly" - green ribbed blanket knitted by great grandmother - obvious really.
    "blankilly" - see above - non-green blanket
    "snuggly" - you need to ask? eg can I come in to your bed for a snuggly?
    "can we do forks?" - similar principle to doing spoons in bed
    "macarena" - dance performed by All Blacks before a match - if only they knew!
    "Lardy and Hardy" - famous comic duo
    "themote" - remote control

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

My daughter is now 6, so she tries to use "grown up" language at every possible moment... Her thing now is throwing "obviously" into every sentence... Its confusing because she's not sure where to use it and pronounces it "ov-i-bis-ly".

When she was little she used the word "pretember" for pretend. We still use it, but because she knows how to pronounce it properly now, Im reminded that 'thats the baby word Mommy!!!'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

cormerings - cornflakes
    remocen - the remote control
    meanies - the little onions on mcdonalds burgers (god forbid)
    relember - remember

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Strawberries are known as Fobbs.:confused:

Bobby is for bottle.

Nu Nu is for soother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Sleep is Bee Bee's - my friends were over the other nite and my OH was heading to bed and says ok Im heading to Bee Bee's now and they were like, K goodnite then...

My 6 yr old still calls dolphins, doliphants and is not amused when I laugh

Bottle is Boppy

Spagehetti is Sketti

Magazine is Mazagine

Hospital is Hostipal

Advertisement