Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who uses words that their kids made up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'll be talking about the hostible until I'm a skellington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

We were waiting in the car for my mam to come out of the shopping centre when I was young, and I said "needles to say she'll find someone to talk to and take ages"

My dad still uses "needles" instead of "needless" when he says that :P

Some of my young cousins used to pronounce Cs as Ts when they were toddlers, so to this day cats are called tats and Conor is called Tonor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Spagehetti is Sketti
    l

Ah yes, it's getty in out house. It's really my dad who keeps the kids saying up!

I do tell my OH we're having getty for dinner though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My Nephew couldn't say Kevin when younger so he would say Ka instead
    I've been know by my Bro + Sis as Ka for the last 6 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I used to call any kind of insect peepy pawlies (insted of creepy crawlies), I said snow white and the seven dwarts,
    and my favourite word was delinquent, but pronounced dewinklent, i told everyone they were one.

My cousin used to call a drink a glank, i still do it sometimes, people look at me funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

My sister (we're talking about 20 years ago) used to hold the TV remote control over her head while saying "I have the power" - à la He-man.

From that day to this, remotes have been called "the powers" in my parents' house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Great thread. I'll add more in a while. Suppose to be working here.

A few years ago, I was sent to Morocco with work for a couple of months. My son pronounced it, Miyocko.

Everytime I go to work now, my son thinks Daddy is going to Miyocko.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Alice1

Splentacular = Splendid + spectacular.

Spottling - Spotless + sparkling

Words made up by my DD when she was 3 - and still used in our house!

We also say "I changed up my mind" rather than "I changed my mind" cos she used to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As of meeting my girlfriends son for the first time I've been rechristened 'Nonah'. It's funny cos he can say Eoin but seems to prefer his own name for me. So too, it would seem, do the rest of her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Not sure why I was looking at this forum, but was browsing and this caught my eye.

When I was learning to talk I was unable to say Granny I said Aye-ie and this then progressed to Allie, so 21 years and 9 cousins later, my grandmother is known to all as Allie, my grand-aunts and grand-uncles, their children, even my Allies friend's when speaking to me or any of cousins refer to her as Allie, she even signs everything to any of us as Allie. I think she is proud of her different title.

And I also nicknamed my uncle called Donal, Uncle D, which has also stuck, that people within the family just call him D, his wife included, who picked up from me!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Pacifier = Do-Do
    Nah, "doo-doo" is something altogether yukkier down robindch-way :p

"row-row" is a laptop (the laptop has a dvd-player which plays "row-row your boat")
    "woof" is a dog.
    And blowing a raspberry means "fish". That one's from my generation, but our 21-month old likes it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ebonyellie

My son used to call the escalator the magic stairs, hes 10 now and we still say it without thinking, he also used to call puddles 'holes full of piss'

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

Love2love wrote: »
    There is an open space behind our back garden. We have a gate to get out to it. When my brothers were very young the use to call it the back-front. It's still used in our family and my son now knows it as the same.

our son calls a wet day (pinchy) and we use it now. "a piece of but and dam off gics and make yok" is some bread and jam off the big junks and close it over ( this not our son but a child who used to be minded at home we still use it )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

when my sis was little, she referred to the game scrabble as scramble, 'because you scramble all the letters up!!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

my husband asked one night who was in the film we looked at and my daughter (then about 5) , answered him 'Tom Screws is in it daddy :D:D

still laughs in our house over this:D

car - a ro ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 katyb

my daughter used to call her pacifier her diddle no thats wat we all call it and even my 1yr old boy calls for his diddle too wen i used to change her nappy she used to call it her front bum she 3 and still calls it that so do i it funny wen she says it to her grany as she never nows were to wipe ha ha :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My OH and I have no children but we've already introduced new words to our vocabulary. He sent me a text recently telling me that he'd be late as the traffic was horrendous, except instead of the word horrendous he typed the word horsemous. Now whenever we want to say something is really bad it's horsemous......

..... it always makes us giggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

In our house, growing up, someone got the brand and washing up liquid mixed up.

Now you put "Fairy up liquid" in the water to wash the dishes :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

my little one got her first pair of heal highs :) last week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My son is potty training at the moment.. His new word for pooh.. is "slug"

So now we ask him, is he going to do a "slug" on the potty...:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

His new word for pooh.. is "slug"

Thanks you have brightened my otherwise gloomy day up !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

My 3 year old has invented a new curse that my wife and I love.
    she has heard me say "F*cking hell" and "goodness Gracious !"

so now, and only at a really appropiate time..like her sister stealing her lego she says
    "F'ucking Nacious !!"

Also we both call the Curragh the Curry now..

We know a child called Sally but we also know an adult called Sally ( brown) too.
    We tried to differiante by big sally and little sally but my daughter ( and I ) both call her Big Brown.. I love it, big brown doesnt.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wada

my 3 year old could not pernounce his sisters name so called her FATTY than then changed to WATTY and has for the last year been WADA as you notice thats my sign in name to. her name is samantha so where he got fatty, watty and wada form no idea she used to call her self mantie.

at mac donalds is the best he cant say burger and calls it a ****er, keeps shoutin out loud ****ER and chips and then says daddys ****er mommies ****er wadas ****er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

wada wrote: »

at mac donalds is the best he cant say burger and calls it a ****er, keeps shoutin out loud ****ER and chips and then says daddys ****er mommies ****er wadas ****er.

If you could see me now i have never laughed as much !! Kids you got to love em :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 susancork

We've called the toilet the "tolly" for years now....

Also "hand-me-downs" are now "hummidums"...

Advertisement