Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DC5 Integra type r? no wow factor?

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I test drove one earlier and I have to say, I did like it .... but after the vtec kicked in and I moved from 2nd into 3rd to start over again .... I was like ... is THIS IT??

Now don't get me wrong it was quick and I LOVE honda's. I've had 3 of them, all civics ... but I was just left a bit 'meh' about the experience. Maybe my expectations were a bit too high.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

shakenbake wrote: »
    but after the vtec kicked in and I moved from 2nd into 3rd to start over again
    Not sure when you changed gear? Was it in the red zone, or after the cam change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

I was trying to rev it to 18k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Are you comparing it to a DOHC vtec you've driven before? The Dc5 has a much smoother power curve than say the Dc2 which has that "kick" when the power comes in, the Dc5 doesn't have as much of a kick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

shakenbake wrote: »
    I was trying to rev it to 18k :)

there's your problem, you probably left the engine on the road behind you:D

Have't drove one myself but drove a few dc2's and from what i've heard the dc5 is much more civilized (usually more boring) and refined, i'd say a dc2 is more what your after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the only wow factor you get is the understeer into a tree/pole/wall, sorry to say it but its true... Half decent in a straight line, Dont agree with corners... also yeah, integras are pretty underpower for the lump supplied... though you can extract 200 or so on a 1.8 or 2.0, have you gone the 2.4 type R accord route yet or will you be raped by insurance as we all are ?!

• Advertisement

S.I.R wrote: »
    the only wow factor you get is the understeer into a tree/pole/wall, sorry to say it but its true... Half decent in a straight line, Dont agree with corners... also yeah, integras are pretty underpower for the lump supplied... though you can extract 200 or so on a 1.8 or 2.0, have you gone the 2.4 type R accord route yet or will you be raped by insurance as we all are ?!

After 8 months of driving a Dc2 everyday I have never experienced understeer, The Dc2 is well known as one of the best cars to drive fast into corners

How is 197bhp from a 1.8 N/A and 220bhp from a 2.0 N/A underpowered?

Theres no such thing as a 2.4 Accord Type R, only a Type S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What are you on about!? You are talking rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

BrynW wrote: »
    What are you on about!? You are talking rubbish!

Hmm

The versions we have: uk spec type R, 160-170 Whp Correct ?

with octane boosters, mugan/hondata chip, better exhaust, andthe usual minor teeking you looking at 200-220, Correct or Correct ?

also the Dc2 and Dc5 Refuse to corner, you litterally have to come to a crawl ( 18-20 mph on 30 mph bends for example ) and no, that is not a once off, have been in litterally Thousands of them, they do,

the can be an ok handling car but when pushed... You dont push them... though by irish terms pushing a car is an extra 1k in the rev band but thats a totally differant disscussion

As for the accord type S,

We only got the type S, japan keeps the Type R, the 237.x hp, 2.4 n/a engine, ideal for a teg/civic built... Increasingly getting rare as there cheap as chips ( for the spec) and a lack of advanced motoring skill worldwide makes them Rarer by the day... litterally.

Hmm

The versions we have: uk spec type R, 160-170 Whp Correct ?

with octane boosters, mugan/hondata chip, better exhaust, andthe usual minor teeking you looking at 200-220, Correct or Correct ?

The UKDM Dc2 makes 187bhp and can be easily modded to jap standard of 197bhp, from there mods have been know to increase the power to 220bhp - 230bhp. The Dc5 only comes in a Jap version and makes 220bhp standard.

also the Dc2 and Dc5 Refuse to corner, you litterally have to come to a crawl ( 18-20 mph on 30 mph bends for example ) and no, that is not a once off, have been in litterally Thousands of them, they do,

the can be an ok handling car but when pushed... You dont push them... though by irish terms pushing a car is an extra 1k in the rev band but thats a totally differant disscussion

"but when pushed... You dont push them... :rolleyes:

Not gonna comment on the Dc5 because I haven't driven one for long enough but after owning a dc2 for 8 months and driving one on track I can tell you it does not suffer from understeer, it is simply a joy to drive throgh twisty roads, it just screams for more, I find myself goin on back roads just to experience it and its well known the Dc2 is the top of its class for handling, so your comments are utter nonsense.

As for the accord type S,

We only got the type S, japan keeps the Type R, the 237.x hp, 2.4 n/a engine, ideal for a teg/civic built... Increasingly getting rare as there cheap as chips ( for the spec) and a lack of advanced motoring skill worldwide makes them Rarer by the day... litterally.

The Japanese Accord Type R (cl7) is a 2.2 litre engine not a 2.4 and produces 220bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The ITR Dc5 is considered to be one of the best handling fwd cars around, any reviews I have read about it.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    The ITR Dc5 is considered to be one of the best handling fwd cars around, any reviews I have read about it.

yeh exactly, critics have praised the Dc2 and the Dc5 as incredible drivers cars with great handling, where they actually lack is in straight line speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

draffodx wrote: »
    yeh exactly, critics have praised the Dc2 and the Dc5 as incredible drivers cars with great handling, where they actually lack is in straight line speed.

It certainly seemed to do very well in this test against its rivals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

I've only been posting here for a short while but I have to say your posts make me laugh. Luckily, members pull you up on your inaccuracies, which is good. God forbid somebody google's some issue they have, are directed to some of your random thoughts and actually heed your advice :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

put a DC2 and a DC5 together in a straight line and there will be no difference (standard)

DC2 = 1.8 vtec DOHC with 197bhp, weighs feck all, has no sound proofing, lighter glass than all other cars, is a bone shaker but feck me for the 2 years i owned mine, it was probably the bast, most fun car i have ever owned.

the Dc5 = 2.0 ivetc, and the i makes a difference. its much more refines, more smooth camshaft change over, hence not as big a kick as the older vtec cars, but still as quick. the DC5 has more creature comforts, more sound proofing and is a much better everyday drive.

if i had to choose which one now i would go for the DC5 purely for the newer reg and a bit more comfort and imo looks lovely, but the DC2 would not be far behind.

here is a vid of them both on track : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQwHKNGDbE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Sir is a gas kid,some of the things he comes out with are signature material!

Dc2 is known as one of the best fwd handling cars,with the dc5 not far behind it.The whole point of these cars is there made to be pushed,there designed as track cars made legal for the road,hence the harshness of daily driving is a dc2 compared to a "normal" car.

Re the accords,there 2.2 in cl1 form and 2.0 in Cl7,same engine and running gear as Dc5,the 2.4 is the Acura tsx or accord Euro in Austrailia,not the same car as the R badged ones,there also rated at 220bhp.

I'm also a bit surprised at S.I.R's opinions on stuff. I'm a little surprised that he didn't suggest a Punto Sporting handles better than a DC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

If you are looking for a bit of "Umph!!" by an Evo :) 300BHP standard and 4wd

I am Baiast though as I love Evo's for the money you would pay for a DC5 you would get an Evo 6 or 7. Only problem is they are regarded as a Scumbags/Dealers Car, which isn't good. if you were planning on opening 22 ish you may even get a TME, which would be 100% deadly!

Ive drove the DC5 and the DC2, I have to say I way prefer the DC2. newer cars feel a lot heavier and you just don't get the response you woulds from a late 90's car.

I think alot of people may agree with me that the late 90's was really a "Golden age for Jap cars!, there was really some great stuff out then!

DC2
    RX7
    EVO
    SUPRA
    STI

all awesome machines with little regard for safety or the environment! HAHA! Man I wish I was older so I could have been in my late 20's around that time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

More B S!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'd only buy a DC2 for the track, it being lighter and cheaper/easier to mod.. DC5 is a great street-racer.. DC5 can be just as raw with higher lift cams, Induction kit and exhaust..

And when it looks this well:
    dcblk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Integra Type R DC2 is known far and wide as quite possibly the best handling FWD car ever made.

S.I.R knows nothing about Hondas, as is evident from his posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Maybe he's only been in ones with crappy Nankang or Runway tyres, or some other cheap Chinese/Taiwanese junk? That could at least explain the alleged understeer, but as for everything else... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

E92 wrote: »
    The Integra Type R DC2 is known far and wide as quite possibly the best handling FWD car ever made.

S.I.R knows nothing about Hondas, as is evident from his posts.

Actually, I think he hates them to death for some reason. He makes up completely unbelievable stuff about them all over the forum. I think he does it on purpose to stir things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Relax guys, it's well known around here that he knows nothing and has opinions on everything

Depends on who you ask, but for many the DC2 was considered the best until the DC5 came along. I haven't driven a DC5, but one magazine reckoned it was head and shoulders above the DC2.

A few consider the DA6 to be the finest, me included :)

JHMEG wrote: »
    Depends on who you ask, but for many the DC2 was considered the best until the DC5 came along. I haven't driven a DC5, but one magazine reckoned it was head and shoulders above the DC2.

A few consider the DA6 to be the finest, me included :)
    Well of course they didn't sell the DC5 outside of Japan AFAIK which complicates things somewhat.

As for the DA6, you like the DA6 so much you no longer have one and have a hybrid which you boast about very frequently:P!

As for the DA6, you like the DA6 so much you no longer have one and have a hybrid which you boast about very frequently:P!
    My DA6 had 240,000kms on the clock, and I reckon maybe about another 60,000-100,000kms that weren't on the clock. Only reason I got rid of it is I don't have the time to give it the attention it deserves, and would prefer someone who did to have it and look after it.

Seriously sweet.
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'd only buy a DC2 for the track, it being lighter and cheaper/easier to mod.. DC5 is a great street-racer.. DC5 can be just as raw with higher lift cams, Induction kit and exhaust..

And when it looks this well:
    dcblk.jpg

Well of course they didn't sell the DC5 outside of Japan AFAIK which complicates things somewhat.
    Doesn't stop anyone. It was your beloved Auto Express iirc.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Doesn't stop anyone. It was your beloved Auto Express iirc.
    Re the DA6, I was only winding you up:D!(looks like you missed that though)

Auto Express is the motoring equivalent of the Oirish Sun btw.

Autocar, which is the mag I'm fond of using for linkys, is a completely different story though!

• Advertisement

Re the DA6, I was only winding you up:D!(looks like you missed that though)
    No, I didn't tbh.

Advertisement