Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT broadband reliability

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

im thinking about changing from eircom to BT, how reliable is BT?
    with eircom it will lose connection several times a day which is really annoying and makes have to quit out of online games :mad:

so will BT be better and reliable? (thinking bout gettin the 3mb package)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

willyGTi wrote: »
    im thinking about changing from eircom to BT, how reliable is BT?
    with eircom it will lose connection several times a day which is really annoying and makes have to quit out of online games :mad:

so will BT be better and reliable? (thinking bout gettin the 3mb package)

The first thing to establish is the quality of your line. that is the key to the speed that you will get from any supplier.

When you say your signal is dropping are you connected by ethernet or wireless.?

What speed are you on at the moment? How far are you from the exchange?

Have you checked if your filter is working properly?

Get your line stats and post them here before you go any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 willyGTi

the speed is 832/128 (kbps)
    connected with an ethernet cable

how to i find the quality of my line?
    what do you mean by exchange?
    how do i check is my filter running properly?

(im not a real tech guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

willyGTi wrote: »
    the speed is 832/128 (kbps)
    connected with an ethernet cable

how to i find the quality of my line?
    what do you mean by exchange?
    how do i check is my filter running properly?

(im not a real tech guy)

Hi you are on a 1mb package but you are not getting it, your modem cannot sync at that speed. Is normal that the connection drops as is trying to re-negotiate all the time.

My suggestion is to check your internal setup, do the usual, disconnect all phones, sky (if any), monitored alarm (again if any) reset the modem and connect it to the main socket.

See if those 832/128 (kbps) improve or go up to 1024/128 kbps (that's what it should be).

Then go into the diagnostic screen and check your attenuation and SNR (once you are in the router main screen go to troubleshoot -- Statistics -- DSL) and post the results.

At the moment with those sync speeds forget about getting 3 mb, not with Eircom, BT or any other company that uses the phone line to provide the services. Moving to BT wont make your BB better as your problem is related to the line, either internal or PSTN.

Have you tried ringing Eircom Tech Support? If you have, what did they say?

Believe me if you want this sorted you have better chances of fixing it if you remain with Eircom.

Advertisement