Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup recommendation - King Charles pup or similar with maybe more robust

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I don't understand what the difference is between a dog sleeping in cozy kennel outside and sleeping inside is, he will be alone either way
    And that is the problem. You can't leave a dog alone for hours on end and expect them to be happy and not bark.

I can see problems with small dogs alright but hardier breeds should have no issue from what I can see.

All dogs need company, regardless of their size.
    As for the daytime alone, it'll be another 30yrs before I am home during the day should I wait till them to get my first dog?
    Yes, hopefully by then you will also have realised that dogs are not robots and that other living beings have needs besides you.
    I'm renting and the agreement I've made with the landlord is that if I ever do get a dog I'll sleep it outside.

Well that's even worse. Say you get a dog- against everyone's advice- and the dog is miserable at being stuck on his own for hours on end and starts barking, and the neighbours complain. Is your landlord going to be happy with that?
    the house does not have the facilities to cater for an indoor sleeping space for a dog.

What if the dog is ever injured or sick, is it going to be left outside still? Injury/illness may not be in line with your "expectations" and "requirements" but again, dogs don't have an "off" switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Everything has been summarised for you in that last post, if you still get a dog then you are seriously selfish or have no cop on. And I'm a 15 year old and know better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

You are making the choice to get a dog, you don't NEED a dog, yet you are expecting to get one and make it live in unsuitable conditions because you want one? extremely unfair and selfish. Why don't you just volunteer like another poster suggested? You could easily go to you're local SPCA and spend you're spare time helping dogs, take them out for a walk, spend time grooming them etc.

really, unless you are prepared to treat a dog as a member of the family (i.e. letting it sleep indoors and not leaving it alone for more than a couple of hours a day!) and have a nice garden to let the dog into (doesn't necessarily need to be big, a lot of people have to make do with an average semi detached houses garden) then you should just stick to volunteering until you are in a better situation.

as you are now, the dog is going to be alone for approx. 12 hours a day right? (that's while you're in bed and at work, assuming you would actually bring him indoors while you were there, and not just spend time with him while you're out walking?)

It is slightly more acceptable IMO to keep a dog if you have to work if you are willing to get a pair of dogs to keep each other company and also hire a dog walking to break up their day if you are away more than a few hours each day.

are you really willing to put all the time and effort into training and socializing the dog?

It's pretty much guaranteed that if you have a dog outside in a yard with not much attention and no proper training or socializing you WILL end up with a dog that has serious issues! and I'm talking from experience, not being "soft"

Since you have never had a dog volunteering might help you understand them better since you don't have a clue how a dog behaves or their needs. Another thing is you said your landlord said you can't bring a dog into the house? So does that mean you would never be bringing the dog inside? If so I wouldn't even consider getting a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Again thanks for the adivce but I can see everyone here is very very one sided, I'm sure ye have all seen real life stories of neglect etc and so I understand.
    I'll take all of yere advice, I'll not get a dog just yet.
    But keep in mind people on high horses fall off!!! not all people can afford to stay at home and mind their pets and not all pet stories are perfect like most things but people and animals still manage to be happy, if we didn't do things we wanted to because the circumstances were not perfect at the time then we'd never progress.
    I'd bet for every story of an unhappy dog there are also at least 2 which are happy, I've many friends and people I know with dogs and they seem well balanced and happy, anyway I'm going to side on the conservative and hold off for a few more months at least until I find out more.
    BTW,The dog would be indoors when we're around but outdoors at night and for a couple of days during work hours as i've explicitly expained in earlier posts.
    I think you've all made yere points and I'm sure all of you with dogs spend every moment with them, I hope ye have as much respect for yere friends, families and neighbours.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hey LP, you obviously really badly want a dog, something I totally sympathise with. I've been thinking about getting one for ages. Do you realise the amount of good you can do with that much love to give and that much determination? Why not volunteer at the pound to walk them. There's no reason not to have a dog in your life just because you're not in a position to own one full time

To say people here are one sided is a bit inaccurate. The people here know what they are talking about. They are not giving you opinions, they are giving you facts, facts are not one sided, they are just facts. You asked for advice, and these people really are the best people to give you advice.

There was a thread here a while back, a woman had taken pups from a charity I used to work with. 2 amazing little things, one looked like a fox :). Basicially gave them the sort of life you're talking about giving yours. Came on here 1 year later trying to get rid of them as they were uncontrollable.:( I personally was heart broken, as people the charity gave dogs to were vetted strongly, yet we'd obviously made a mistake. This woman had the best of intentions, the dogs didn't behave as expected and she got rid of them due to "personal circumstances" this usually translates as couldn't be bothered anymore.

I would be wary of getting a dog when renting as from experience, landlords can change their minds at any time, you're then left with a dog to rehome. It happened to me with my cats, we had to move because the landlord was trying to make me rehome them!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Thanks Helena.
    I agree that renting is not the best circumstances for getting a pet and we've plenty of cats hanging around to keep us company.:p
    I'm going to give the GSPCA a hand, I'll see what I can do for them, the pound is an hour out of town but I'll make the effort and see how it goes.

That's a good choice! At least you listened to the advice we gave you. My dog was pregnant when we got her and we gave two of our puppies to my uncle who we thought would give them a really good home. He left them out the back like you will if you get a dog and they barked all night long and totally destroyed the back garden, and there were two of them, they had company but that still isn't enough for dogs. I think you should just volunteer and wait until you have more time and your own house or a house where you are aloud to keep animals. If you ever move house ask the landlord are you aloud to have pets, be it next year or in thirty years before you can get a dog!

Advertisement