Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPGRADING my irish broadband and NEW contract!!

Options
  • 10-07-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

HI

Just wondering has anyone else come across this?

Im happy breeze 2MB customer for last 9 months and rang the last day to upgrade to 3 MB for around €13 EXTRA a month.

All was going well until they mentioned i had to renew my contract for a further 12 MONTHS!!!

WHY? I wanted to give them a extra €13 a month for flicking a switch to upgrade me. I HAD no intention of leaving IBB but i find this very restrictive and the usual rip off ireland crap.

Why can i increase/decrease my Vodafone/SKY/NTL without renewing a contract?

Has anyone come across this in the past? I thought it would be a simple increase in my direct debit...As i said i HAD no intention on leaving IBB but i would like the choice at least after my first year was up.

RANT OVER, Tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i guess they like to keep there friends close but there customers closer ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its standard for alot of companys to start a new contract if you change price plan or speed, hell most mobile providers do this and they don't even have to "flick a switch"

If you don't like it then go else-where, if you plan on staying with them then whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its standard for alot of companys to start a new contract if you change price plan or speed, hell most mobile providers do this and they don't even have to "flick a switch"

If you don't like it then go else-where, if you plan on staying with them then whats the problem?

I just think its very anti competitive as once you have re-signed they dont have to TRY and do anything to keep you i.e. free speed increases etc.

I change my tariff on vodafone every few months depending on my usage and thats no problem they dont insist on a new contract, they are just happy to take the extra cash for a higher tariff.

I just find it strange that IBB would rather earn €13 LESS from me for doing relatively nothing.

Why do they have to tack on a stipulation at the end. And the reason im against this is who is to say where i will be in a year??

I knew when taking out IBB a year ago i would definitly be in the premises for the year but after that i could not guarantee.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why do they have to tack on a stipulation at the end. And the reason im against this is who is to say where i will be in a year??

I knew when taking out IBB a year ago i would definitly be in the premises for the year but after that i could not guarantee.

They have attached a new contract because its their service and their entitled to have it in the terms if they wish.

Sure it sucks but as I said alot of Telco's do something similar, if you don't like it then don't take the offer

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

I find their service great but it kind of makes people jump ship to other telcos as your tied in so why not get tied into another provider that provide higher downloads etc.

If i had to sign a new contract with SKY everytime i added/subtracted channels on their service i would be long gone.

I dont agree with it so i suppose i will just have to lump it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It has to be stipulated during the upgrade, that you agree to a new minimum contract term.

Most ISPs don't do it. They only bind you from the original installation, because that's where they loose out, others do like IBB and then some you have to renew in 12 years periods.

Our own practice is 6 months, after that 1 months notice, if somebody upgrade, they can't downgrade again for 6 months, but they can discontinue their contract with 1 months notice any time (no matter if they've changed plan) after the initial 6 months.

The minimum term originally served to recoup the subsidizing of equipment. Some ISPs seem to take the mick on that.

Vodafone doesn't change your contract when you change contract on your cellphone either. It's just when you buy a new subsidized cellphone, that they'll keep you in a new 12 months contract.

/Martin

Advertisement