Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Celica Owners, MPG?

Options
  • 10-07-2008 11:30pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would any Celica owners here care to post their average mpg and which models they have. The last models preferably, im torn between the current VVT-i/ VVTL-i and its predeccessor.

I prefer the exterior on the older one's but love the interior on the newer ones :confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I had a 1997 SSIII, it returned unbelievingly bad mpg, maybe 20-22mpg. Normal driving, my current 2.2 honda does 30-32mpg with the same mostly town driving.

In the celica the lamba sensor may have been fooked, i didn't have the car long enough to get it checked out. But it did pass an NCT, so i'm guessing if it was fooked, the emissioned would have been higher.

All said and done i'd buy another 5 gen (94-99), but i wouldn't touch the newer model.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Senna wrote: »
    All said and done i'd buy another 5 gen (94-99), but i wouldn't touch the newer model.

Any reason why? other than the looks, i like the interior and am looking for a car i can feel comfortable driving? I've always had my eye on the celica's, i was looking at EVO's ayear or two ago but im just not gone on them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

yeah pretty much styling, but there also a lovely drive, comfortable but with sleeker looks than a 4 door saloon.

If your serious, i'd go look at a 1997-1999 red topped beams engined celica, they have a 2ltr vvti engine with about 200bhp (the actual engine head is red)
    They are fairly cheap and very reliable, fuel economy should be similar to non vvti celica. The beams model will have superstrut suspension, nicer ride, buy more expensive to replace when worn out.

Plenty on carzone.ie, try and get a nice standard one.
    eg;
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Celica/SS111-beams/1100301/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I had a (zz231) 00 VVTLi Celica up until last Monday. If you were going for this generation I wouldn't go for the VVTi as it's pretty much identical to the VVTLi except the difference is the Li has an extra 50bhp once you go into lift (hence the L) at 6.5krpm. So basically both VVTi and VVTLi run at 140bhp at all times, bar when you rev the **** out of the Li you get +50bhp. So fuel economy will be almost identical. (VVTi) 140bhp is pretty weak in my opinion so I'd definitely opt for the (VVTLi) 190bhp. MPG was approx 30-36 and I drove it a little harder than your average person.

The interior on the old ones is ****ing awful I have to say. Like, whoever thought of that design on the seats with the red sparks or whatever they were... shocking.

I'd a leather interior and a LCD/DVD player in where the cubbyhole is, so was pretty decent. I'd a TRD kit on it as well - not a big fan of the stock zz231 Celica's, especially the stock wheels .. yuck.

Very reliable too, never gave me one iota of trouble and sailed through the NCT.

Advertisement