Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Annoying banging!!

Options
  • 10-07-2008 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I have a 2001 Bora tdi and there's a funny bang coming from it going over bumos. The shocks are grand (I think) and it doesn't affect the car at all but its really annoying, almost like the jack is lose and banging but under the bonnet. Everything checks out tight in the engine.
    Any ideas? only happens on bumpy roads. Left some air out of the tyre but no use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Anti roll bar link?
    Cant hear it from here though..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

strut top mounts?

MKiv golfs and boras have notoriously rattle issues..
    Glove box catch can be one, mirror casing another and passenger seats can also rattle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

kbannon wrote: »
    strut top mounts?

they the same as the shock heads/insulators, cos ive the same problem with mine and that's what the banging has been diagnosed as

patrickc wrote: »
    they the same as the shock heads/insulators, cos ive the same problem with mine and that's what the banging has been diagnosed as
    I have never heard of them being described as insulators before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

slideways wrote: »
    I have never heard of them being described as insulators before...

volvo called them that when i was ordering them

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kbannon wrote: »
    strut top mounts?

This is what this was in my car after hitting a massive pothole in Banbridge. Admittedly my shocks were on the way out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Could be the lower arm bushings too, I did them on my golf. They make a huge difference to the cars handling. Cost me 400quid to get them and the rear shocks done. You just replace the lower arms.

The front of a golf/bora should be silent/free from knocks. If it isn't go to a mechanic. It'll defo fail an NCT.

Advertisement