Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahem... "personal" question

Options
  • 11-07-2008 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Right... feel like a bit of a tit asking this, but here goes...

I am a total road cycling newbie. Took delivery of my (sweet) Focus Cayo 2 weeks ago and have been out on a good few rides. I just did my first 50k this evening - very pleased with that.

Anyway, I am procrastinating... When I got off the bike this evening I noticed that my 'gentleman's area' was totally numb. No feeling whatsoever down there. This worried me - all was fine after a quick shower, but I want to know is this:

a) normal - nothing to worry about
    b) possibly an issue with my cycling position
    c) just because I was in the saddle for 2 hours

I have used my mountain bike for ages to commute and it also has a really narrow saddle - I'm used to that. Does the more prone position on the road bike place more pressure on the nerves around the perineum and cause this numbness?

I also tend to stay in the saddle a lot - I rarely stand up and pedal. Would getting out of the saddle more help?

Any info would be greatly appreciated - try and keep the slagging to a minimum... :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You shouldn't get that, it is an indication that there is a problem.

What angle do you have the saddle at? Should be flat. Nose up will cause the problem you describe.

I swapped out the Cayo saddle, it wasn't working for me. You might consider that (I have a few spare saddles I'm selling BTW- 2 Specialized Body Geometry ones, as I went over 100% to Brooks :D)

On a road bike your weight should be relatively evenly distributed between bars, pedals and saddle, e.g. you shouldn't have all your weight on the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Possibly you are just not used to the bike also, but follow Blorgs advice.
    The saddles he is selling are pretty good. I used to have one.
    Have you set your saddle to the correct height? Legs should be just short of straight when you are sitting on the saddle and the pedal is at the bottom.
    Could you try taking the saddle from your MTB and using that instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 escape m1

are you wearing proper cycling shorts? cycling shorts will have padding around that area. i usually wear them for a long cycle but have gone out once without them and they really do make all the difference. also take note of what blorg said about your position on the bike as if you are used to riding a mountain bike you might be more inclined to be sitting upright on the bike putting most of your weight on the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Thanks guys. And not one person taking the p*ss - I'm amazed!!

To answer a few questions:

The saddle is perfectly level and it is at the correct height. On the shorter (30k) cycles I have done I was wearing padded shorts (and had no problem), last night I was wearing unpadded leggings.

I think I do tend to keep the majority of my weight on the saddle when on either bike. I noticed last night that my posterior deltoids and traps (muscle at the back of my shoulder and between my shoulders and my neck) were sore enough after the long (for me!) ride. This would indicate that I was using them in an unaccustomed manner. After hearing what blorg suggested, this may possibly mean that I was tensing up to keep weight off my hands. Interesting...

Will play around with shifting my weight more forward and wear the padded shorts from now on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

yeah I got this numbness also and have messed around with the height, position etc and feel I have it correct for my height. I have also used the padded shorts.

I am sure from what I have read its more to do with my weight distribution but to be honest I dont know any other way so more cycling and experimenting needed I guess

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

bwardrop wrote: »
    On the shorter (30k) cycles I have done I was wearing padded shorts (and had no problem), last night I was wearing unpadded leggings.

Theres your problem right there. Always were padded shorts. If you want to wear the leggings, put them on underneath them.

Standing periodically helps keep the flood flowing in that area I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Yep... Been there had the same problem when I first got my road bike.

Went through 4 saddles and every seat position and height known to man. They also recommend every 15-20 minutes just stand in the saddle and cycle for 15 to 20 seconds just to make sure there is some flow of blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I don't get that numbness on a road bike but I do get it most times I use an exercise bike in the gym. I even started wearing cycling shorts under normal shorts in the gym but I still got it. Should I avoid those exercise bikes then?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

The saddles on gym bikes are normally very wide which might be causing the problem. Personally anything that's makes my bits go numb is to be avoided... I am not doctor but I am guessing it cant really be doing any good.

When I use a bike in the gym I use the ones like a recumbent bike instead of a normal bike and I found that solved any problems.

Just did a quick search online and found this. I'm aware of the pitfalls of medical advice from the internet, but I don't really think this is medical in the truest sense and I am confident that this page is well researched.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=84072

It reads pretty well and seems well researched. For those of you who can't be bothered reading it, the gist of it is:

- this is a common problem in both men and women
    - caused by: weight loading, saddle & handlebar height, saddle angle and saddle shape
    - it can increase the risk of erectile dysfunction :eek: (only slightly though!)

Recommendations for avoiding symptoms:

1. Stand up frequently on the pedals to take pressure off the perineum.

2. Change your position on the saddle while biking. Shift forward and backward when you ride to eliminate pressure on just one part of the perineum.

3. Experiment with adjusting the angle of your saddle so that it tilts slightly downward.

4. Wear padded bike shorts.

5. Adjust the height of your handlebars slightly until you find a comfortable position. Handlebars below the saddle may work well for road or racing bikes, but perhaps not as well for touring or hybrids.

6. Make sure that your seat post is adjusted to the proper height. Your knee should be just slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal cycle.

7. Limit the number of miles that you pedal. This may not be desirable for all riders, but number of miles per week can be a factor.

Much of this has been pointed out already (cheers guys and girls) but the odd bit is new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

As always the great Mr Brown has an answer to everything:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

it can increase the risk of erectile dysfunction eek.gif

Nice one I might try this. Kid number 4 on the way!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

the only time i ever suffered from the dreaded numbcock was when i was using a brooks saddle (they have a lot of evangelists out there who'll claim that they're for everyone - they're not for me! :P) and tbh it scared the bejesus out of me. i went through about through about 4 or 5 different saddles looking for one that would still be comfortable after >3 hour rides and eventually settled on a specialized alias - since then i've had no real pain and no numbness.

check out saddles with cut outs in the centre, all the manufacturers make some that way now, as i feel it places the weight on the sit-bones rather than on the perineum.

and assos shorts ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »
    and assos shorts ftw.

Ya fancy ba**ard with your money and assos shorts...
    /jealousy

I'm getting a pair in a few weeks I think -my butt deserves the comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

You've said you're fairly new to road cycling...you do realise I hope that you're not supposed to wear undies beneath your cycling shorts? A lot of beginners don't know this. The seam in a typical pair of M&S briefs is ideally located so as to put a lot of pressure on your perineum if you're sitting in a firm saddle. So you should always "free-bag it" on your bike.

cantalach wrote: »
    You've said you're fairly new to road cycling...you do realise I hope that you're not supposed to wear undies beneath your cycling shorts? A lot of beginners don't know this. The seam in a typical pair of M&S briefs is ideally located so as to put a lot of pressure on your perineum if you're sitting in a firm saddle. So you should always "free-bag it" on your bike.

Yeah - one of my colleagues is a fairly accomplished triathlete / ironman competitor. He recently gave me some very unexpected, but informative advice on cycling and underwear!!

Thanks though - any advice to keep 'himself' fully functional is more than welcome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

cantalach wrote: »
    This is true, and it is definately more comfortable without, but for short distances in this country I wear underwear under my shorts. I don't if I'm going for a long (80km+) cycle. Depends on the underwear of course but it is not necessarily the disaster everyone makes it out to be. I cycle every day, at least three times a day and I don't have enough shorts to be changing them daily. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What about a small bit of what feels like pins and needles on the tip of your wee man that literally last for 10 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

What about a small bit of what feels like pins and needles on the tip of your wee man that literally last for 10 seconds?

no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

:D how much are you charging?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

niceonetom wrote: »
    no thanks.

LOL !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I got pins and needles in the harry hickey on the first long cycle I did-no padding. After that I started consciously adjusting my position in the saddle a good bit and it hasn't happened since. Just got padded shorts as well and they help too.

It's very disconcerting alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I think we could make a late nite TV discussion program out of this. :pac:

Standing up in the saddle helps, and you can make it look like your are stretching your hamstrings / calves.

Advertisement