Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disaster and Resistance

Options
  • 11-07-2008 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

The start of this is a bit of a shameless plug for a friends comic but there is more to it.

I just got back from the book release party for Disaster and Resistance, the new graphic novel from Seth Tobocman [whose the editor of World War three illustrated and the Author/Illustrator of the graphic books You Don't Have to **** People Over to Survive and War in the Neighborhood] Amazon have it listed for pre-order with no release date but it should be available pretty soon.

And the way this isn't just a plug is I wanted to talk about a method of performance Seth has developed for this comic. What he does is take each panel and projects it on the wall behind him as he reads the text while being accompanied by live musicians. Due to his work being all about politics and activism, he really gets into it and it can get a bit loud [esp when your reading a piece called "You Don't Have to **** People Over to Survive"]

I've seen him do this a couple of times now and each time I think it would be interesting to see other people try it with a different style of comic....or maybe his approach wouldn't work with a different style of comic and you would need to a different angle - like doing something like Too Much Coffee Man - The Opera thou I see that as being different as its an actual opera based on the comic while what Seth does at his book releases is still the comic.

So if theres a question in this long waffle I think its does it sound interesting to anyone, would anyone like to see comics at press releases presented like this or anyone whose a creator would it be something you'd consider doing with your own work?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ever since I first saw Broken Saints I've liked the idea of taking comic art and mixing it with music, voice-overs and perhaps even basic movement-only animation. It sounds like a really interesting way of doing a launch party, although like anything else it would probably get boring if it became the standard and nobody tried to put their own spin on the idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

Sort of like the Concert de Dessins which have been around since eighties in Angouleme. Kinda ambivalent to this, anyone been.

Didn't lynda Barry do a reading at this years Mocca with the whole shebang, i'd say that must have been fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

magwea wrote: »
    Sort of like the Concert de Dessins which have been around since eighties in Angouleme. Kinda ambivalent to this, anyone been.

Haven't been to the one at Angouleme but been to something very similar at Annecy - the animation equivalent of Angouleme. Sat through Glen Keane drawing just random things people shouted at him for like an hour which was really amazing but its different to what Tobocman does - he's not drawing anything, its comics that are already done and making it more like a performance art wheres the Concert de Dessins I would see as more of cross between a show case and Comix Apocalypse at the Stumptown comics festival. He's doing another smaller release party next week at Blue stockings, might see if I can recored some of it.
    magwea wrote: »
    Didn't lynda Barry do a reading at this years Mocca with the whole shebang, i'd say that must have been fun.

It wasn't during MoCCA it was part of the pre-mocca warm up during the week - she gave a talk at the Strand on the wednesday and was then part of Post Bang: Comics Ten Minutes After the Big Bang on the friday which was an all day symposium on the growing cultural significance of comics - it was a bit academic in parts but helped by having Gary Panter at the end talking about how he fired his brain with drugs in the 70's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

I've heard Lynda speak on podcasts and she is amazing, you almost don't need the visuals.

This is a great one, the second half has her reading from her new book which i still need to get.

Advertisement