Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shaking in idle

Options
  • 11-07-2008 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have noticed my car is shaking alot when sitting at lights or in traffic. It does not matter if its in gear or not.

Its an 02 audi a4. Anybody know what might be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

mcmc wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have noticed my car is shaking alot when sitting at lights or in traffic. It does not matter if its in gear or not.

"dual mass flywheel failure"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭mcmc

minxie1 wrote: »

:eek:Dont like the sound of that!!

Is there any other tell tale signs that thats what the problem is?
    Thanks for the speedy reply:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Is it a diesel? If so dual mass flywheel failures are quite common on the 1.9tdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

minxie1 wrote: »

This is more characterised by a vibration and noise in the clutch when depressed. Just replaced mine in the Vectra. Its a very common problem across all manufacturers and not just in diesels.

Hope its not the problem as you're looking at over €1k to fix as it involves an entire new clutch assembly which in tirn requires gear box removal.

• Advertisement

Ferris wrote: »
    Is it a diesel? If so dual mass flywheel failures are quite common on the 1.9tdi.

Yep she is a diesel 1.9 tdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

whats the rpm when its at idle? it might just be running lean

Yep she is a diesel 1.9 tdi.

Depress the clutch to the normal biting point and hold it there. If its the flywheel you will hear a rattling grinding noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

I dont know much about cars but I had this similar prob wit my golf my mate is a mechanic and i was telling him about this as we wer talking, he told me that there is just dirt in some part of the engine he opened up my bonnet and start spraying some stuff into the part that needed to be cleaned as my other mate kept reving the engine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Probably the throttle body, was it a tube/valve under the air filter box?

AFAIK (not a mechanic) that wouldn't cause the car to vibrate on it's own, what it can cause though is the car to idle roughly, the RPMs will jump up and down, which in turn will lead to different amounts of normal vibration coming through the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

It's diesel so yeah, probably is :-)

8 - 900 rpm when idle. There is no jumps or drops in it.

furtzy wrote: »
    Depress the clutch to the normal biting point and hold it there. If its the flywheel you will hear a rattling grinding noise.

Ill try that later and let you know how i get on. Fingers crossed its not that.

Im just thinking, i got the car fully serviced and a timing belt done on it about 3 weeks ago from an audi dealership. If it is the flywheel should they not have seen that it was about to go?

Thanks for all the replys.

Ill try that later and let you know how i get on. Fingers crossed its not that.

Im just thinking, i got the car fully serviced and a timing belt done on it about 3 weeks ago from an audi dealership. If it is the flywheel should they not have seen that it was about to go?

Thanks for all the replys.

They wouldn't have noticed it without driving it. It wouldn't be apparent in a visual inspection as the components wouldn't be seen unless the clutch was disassembled. Hope its not the flywheel.

Whats the mileage on the car? If its below average there may be some good will from Audi possibly a percentage of labour etc. It is a known fault afer all

furtzy wrote: »
    They wouldn't have noticed it without driving it. It wouldn't be apparent in a visual inspection as the components wouldn't be seen unless the clutch was disassembled. Hope its not the flywheel.

Whats the mileage on the car? If its below average there may be some good will from Audi possibly a percentage of labour etc. It is a known fault afer all

Just shy of 94k:o

Just shy of 94k:o

Eh o.k....no goodwill on that one :)

Hopefully its not the flywheel then...

Just tried that clutch thing and there was no sound from it:).

I was reading about maybe there might be a crack in one of the pipes that is sucking in air. Any ideas about how to try find this hole?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

this might help,
    http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29445
    had similar problem (ahem) :mad: still have even after forking out nearly 1 k on replacing a flywheel on my mark 4 golf tdi only for the noise to come back within 2 weeks.... am personaly at my wits end myself, other possibilities that were mentioned to me were gearbox bearing,or clutch release bearing.
    am gonna try mine on a vagcom and see what fault codes come up!!! mine was still under warranty but garage wouldnt cover (some suprise)
    its hard to get someone to say for certain what it is, any bright buttons out there????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hi all,

Something totally different here. I had an Audi 80 a few years ago. It started this shaking while idling one day while was caused by a very very slight irregularity in the idle. Didnt bother fixing as it was an old car. One week later - Total loss of brake servo (which basically gave me no brakes) due to a split in a vacuum hose at the servo. So fixed the brake hose and no more shaking. \it had been leaking for a while causing the poor running. This type of system is common to most cars and would certainly be worth a check if the usual suspects dont cure it. i.e. cracked intake pipework, airflow meter. Fault with those two things usually cause the revs to go up and down alot though.

Advertisement