Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fond Farewell: Windows 3.11

• 11-07-2008 8:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭

Gizmodo wrote:
    In a short and slightly poignant posting on his MSDN blog, a Microsoft systems engineer has announced that Windows 3.11 will be officially discontinued four months after XP's unceremonious removal from the consumer market. The secret to 3.11's 15-year lifespan was the embedded space, where it has dutifully provided a platform for countless low-horsepower cash registers and train schedule displays. To be completely fair, 3.11 has only been "available" in the sense that embedded systems OEMs could buy it through limited channels, just as they will be able to purchase XP Embedded (which is a full-featured Pro version of the OS) into the foreseeable future. At least you can fudge a little and tell your kids that XP has "gone to a better place," but don't even try to pull that crap with 3.11. It's dead, and those spoiled brats have to learn what that means someday.

win311logo_2.gif
    win4workgroups4eva.jpg

So long man. We're going to miss you.

Those were the days. Making paper airplanes in Word's wizard (the whirly gig was the bees knees) and such were the days when i was afraid to touch anything i didnt know about - the character map in particular. I dont know why. I was afraid of deleting the computer or something, I guess. Having said that those were the days when any 5 year old could navigate the folder structure in the dos prompt with relative ease to get to their favorite DOS based games, like Dr. Riptide, and Commander Keen. Then there was those 2 platformers I cant remember the name of - the Space Miner one and the Secret Angent one. Both classic.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've still got a Windows 3.11 Virtual Machine that is fun to crank up every now and then. Especially if someone asks if they can use your PC for a bit, and you start it up and put it into full-screen mode for them with Netscape started up :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I miss microsoft golf.

after taking your shot, you used to be able to walk away and come back in 10mins and the next view would just about have loaded. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Thanks for the thread, Overheal - This brings back fond memories. I can hear the 'crank, crank, crankling' (are they even words!?) of my computer's hard-disk loading up Windows 3.11 all those years ago in my head right now... ...

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kevster wrote: »
    Thanks for the thread, Overheal - This brings back fond memories. I can hear the 'crank, crank, crankling' (are they even words!?) of my computer's hard-disk loading up Windows 3.11 all those years ago in my head right now... ...

;)

I can still remember each and every whirr and rev and beep and chink the machine would make as it started up to desktop :)

it was almost musical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ah good old 'Clock'... they don't make apps like that any more.
    Runs full screen too doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

SantaHoe wrote: »
    Ah good old 'Clock'... they don't make apps like that any more.
    Runs full screen too doesn't it?

Yeh - you're right! I used to put it up full-screen while I was doing other work. I hated wearing watches and, of course, I had no mobile phone back then to tell the time.

... ...ah, the good old days (and I'm only 25).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I still fondly remember the day when my neighbor got a new pc, complete with this fancy new operating system, AND A COLOUR MONITOR!!!!111
    For some strange reason I stuck with DOS until '95 came out, and even then moving over to a gui felt strange...

I have a 286 laptop which was running Windows 3.11 when I got hold of it but I decided to be even more retro and put Windows 3.0 on it.

I had no idea 3.1x was still in any form of support phase - thought it was long dead by now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

<3 Program Manager. Had Windows 3.1 on my Wang 386. :) 6 3 1/4" disks for installation I think. I used to push the Wang to the limit, even endured the long wait for Windows 95 to load and I think it had 16MB RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Had Windows 3.1 on my Wang 386
    LMFAO!!! no comment!

win 3.1 was my first experience of computers ever, so I too feel the nostalgia. i managed to fook up alot of those computers by del * the entire windows directory :P

• Advertisement

I remember my dad got a modem installed on it, so we went into dos and tried to do it the good old fashioned way - randomly :) it was great hearing someone's answering machine through the modem speaker.

Overheal wrote: »
    I remember my dad got a modem installed on it, so we went into dos and tried to do it the good old fashioned way - randomly :) it was great hearing someone's answering machine through the modem speaker.
    Was it this? (replacing the 1 with whatever port the modem's on)

echo atdt number > com1:

Often used that to test old ISA hardware modems to see if they were working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Still running here :)

5pmm52.gif

you have to play with the robot pack of cards!

Advertisement