Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used BMW 3 series/5 series

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

mickdw wrote: »
    So If I role up with a car with say 6500 km and 6.5 months old, Do Irish revenue look to see did I pay uk VAT?

I see what you're trying to exploit Mick ;)

For the purposes of VAT, revenue use the "date of supply" to determine the age of car. Date of supply will be the date of the purchase invoice. Unlike for VRT, there's no point in saying that the car was in storage for a while before bringing it in.

I can't confirm about the mileage but I'd guess that revenue would look for the mileage at time of supply for VAT. I brought in a 320d coupé on July 1st and the mileage was stated on the purchase invoice. There'd be no point for a dealer to overstate the mileage on the purchase invoice because then they wouldn't be able to claim their own VAT back on the car.

But in a recent thread someone said that they knew someone who had brought in a five month old car and managed to get away with having to pay the Irish VAT after "convincing" revenue that VAT was paid in the UK :confused:

Advertisement