Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping delivery man

Options
  • 11-07-2008 10:34am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Sorry if this is the wrong place but here goes:
    I'm expecting a delivery of two TVs today worth about a grand altogether.

What I'd like to know is whether it is custom/appropriate to tip the delivery man?
    And if so, how much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well regardless of anything else you can afford to tip him with all the savings you've made from your bargains shopping in Tesco's! :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Well regardless of anything else you can afford to tip him with all the savings you've made from your bargains shopping in Tesco's! :pac:

What makes you think they're coming from Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jayteecork wrote: »
    What makes you think they're coming from Tesco?

Oh I never thought they were coming from Tesco's but I have often seen you posting tesco deals in 'Bargain Alerts'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Never have tipped a delivery man. Never would tbh.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I wouldn't. But people call me cheap. Especially delivery men.

Really I don't see the point. They get paid a decent wage I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Did you tip the bank employee who issued your credit card or your cheque book to pay for your TV. They provided a service but got no tip?

The delivery man doesn't need one either so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No need to tip delivery men at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

micmclo wrote: »
    Did you tip the bank employee who issued your credit card or your cheque book to pay for your TV. They provided a service but got no tip?

The delivery man doesn't need one either so.

I'm in this camp. I remember a taxi driver whinging about people who give €20 notes for a €19 fare (for example) and want their change! I asked him when he's in the supermarket and the bill came to €19 would he hand the girlbehind the till a €20 note and say 'keep the change'. he went very quiet and came back with 'ah but thats different'. I fail to see how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

I'm in this camp. I remember a taxi driver whinging about people who give €20 notes for a €19 fare (for example) and want their change! I asked him when he's in the supermarket and the bill came to €19 would he hand the girlbehind the till a €20 note and say 'keep the change'. he went very quiet and came back with 'ah but thats different'. I fail to see how it is.

+1

these people are being paid to do their job unless they go out of their way to do something extra for you (they won't) they don't need a tip

Generally I think tipping is a bit of nonsense. I tip in a restaurant if the service is above average but mostly I feel people are being paid to do a job then I shouldn't have to tip them. If tips are argued as suplement income then raise the wage and prices if necessary, just don't hide behind Tips as being the solution. I'd be interested in teh views of people who rely on tips in their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I look at it like I'm ordering a pint. I want the barman to come back quickish, so I tip him. Giving a 50cent tip to the barman per pint, I don't have to wait 10 minutes to be served. Win-win.

Likewise with delivery people: if they deliver often, sure, tip them. If it's a once off, then don't tip them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I would only tip him if he helped get the TV set up, or took the boxes away or did something outside his remit of work practice :)

I have in fact only tipped 2 delivery men.
    The first for assembling a suite of furniture I gave him 20 euros. it took about an hour..
    and the second guy I gave a tip to my tip was "try Smiling" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'm in the "not tipping" camp. Dont see why people expect extra money for doing the job they are paid for. Especially when the quality of service is average at best! It wrecks my girlfriends head as she used to work as a waitress many moons ago so she always tips wainting staff. She also gives tips to any trades men doing jobs on the house, and that really grinds my gears as they usually charge over the odds anyway. Yet when it comes to taxis, pubs, shops etc she always looks for her change and counts it to make sure she hasnt been done!

For me, when it comes to tips its either everybody or nobody.

Plus, I'm a cheap ass :P

the_syco wrote: »
    Giving a 50cent tip to the barman per pint...

Yet if the price of a pint went up by 50Cent there would be uproar. :confused:
    If the barman's doing his job you should not have to wait 10 minutes for a pint. Also, if everyone tipped him 50Cent then you could not all get preferential service.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the_syco wrote: »
    I look at it like I'm ordering a pint. I want the barman to come back quickish, so I tip him. Giving a 50cent tip to the barman per pint, I don't have to wait 10 minutes to be served. Win-win.
    How does that work in practice? You order the pint and hand him 50cent? and hope he pour it there and then, if you do not tip when ordering he takes 10min to come back?

Or are you tipping after the first pint and then they pay more attention for the second one?

I have never heard of tipping barmen in Ireland at all, lounge staff yes but barmen no. I would tip some lounge staff on the first order, they come back quicker and in my local we have a laugh with them and they do go out of the way for us sometimes.

In the states I tipped barmen/people but usually got something back in turn, e.g. free shots, or very generous measures.

In a hotel bar only the other week I had a barwoman (i.e. not lounge staff) giving my drinks, just handing bottles out, not even pulling a pint. On the second bottle she pulls over a tip jar on the counter and starts saying "I am not going all the way to the cash register, I will just get it here", then took her time, obviously waiting for me to say "ah keep it", needless to say the cheeky bitch got nothing. It was the first time I ever had a barperson fishing for tips here, I think she was spanish, maybe it is different over there.

Taxi men do that trick too, I do tip taximen the odd time, especially if they go out of there way, suggesting better routes, lifting bags, breaking lights to get you to the airport on time etc. If people do something out of the way then they might get something. The local lounge girl waving over when she sees my pint gone, knowing what I drink, and struggling through a packed bar will get tipped, she is not really digging for a tip and will say thanks when she gets it. The cheeky expectant bitch opening a bottle gets nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I always tip barmen, a large tip first time and then small.. I get great service..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

This country is starting to become more like the US... thats dangerous because over there waiters etc earn very little money and rely on their tips. Here they make a decent wage and a tip is just a bonus.
    Its reflected in the service provided. In the US they need good tips to pay their bills so they bend over backwards for you.. sometimes litterally :D Over here they could not give a crap most of the time. If i do get exceptional service then i will tip but its rare.

People always go on about how much cheaper going out is in the US but they never take into account the tips.. such as a dollar for every drink you buy, and in chicago or big cities you already are paying $5 for a 20oz beer so its actually $6 which is not cheap unless you consider the Euro exchange rate. And in restaurants you tip 20 - 25% in big cities and maybe 15% in a smaller town brings that bill up!

People please stop needlessly tipping overpaid people please!!! Do not let it become expected in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i'm not really a tipper...i dont believe in tipping people because their boss is too cheap to pay them properly. I HATE it when you go to a restaurant and they impose a service charge....whats the deal with that...i dont have any choice but to take their service....shouldnt this be built into the cost of the meal anyways????

the only time i would tip is for lounge staff in a pub getting me a drink when i'm too lazy to get it myself

and as for taxi men looking for tips...they get paid to drive you...why pay them a second time???

[/rant]

Well he's came and gone and I didn't tip him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

my girlfriend always gives out to me about this. Quite often her moan is 'I had to tip for both of us coz you wouldn't'. No you didn't have to, tips are an optional extra. I remember once being in a restaurant and the waiter was rubbish. he poured normal still tap water into our glasses of sparkling water and was just generally incompetent. Still the GF tipped him!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I would only tip him if he helped get the TV set up, or took the boxes away or did something outside his remit of work practice :)

+1. Only if they do something outside their normal remit. Most, if you ask, will say no - and still mutter about not getting a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

jayteecork wrote: »
    Well he's came and gone and I didn't tip him.
    Good, if everyone started tipping then it would be expected. Next thing employers are paying less with the excuse that tips are making up the difference.

I *only* tip if it is exceptional service above and beyond what I expect *and* also what I wanted too i.e. I don't like it when people do extra things that I don't want and then expect a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I tip in restaurants if the service is good and staff are friendly and polite and competent. If they are none of these they don't get a tip.

I tip taxi drivers a euro if they're civil and don't force their politics on me. If not, they get nothing.

I tip lounge staff but NEVER tip bar people. They're paid a fair wage and most professional bar people are in unions so their salaries are ok.

I would only tip delivery staff if they went above and beyond the call of duty as you usually have to pay a charge to have something delivered even when you have no choice i.e. buying large furniture. I had a sofa delivered once and it had a metal frame so the poor guys nearly gave themselves hernias trying to get into the house. It took them over half an hour. I gave them a €40 tip between them because despite the physical effort they were happy chappies.

axer wrote: »
    Good, if everyone started tipping then it would be expected. Next thing employers are paying less with the excuse that tips are making up the difference.

I *only* tip if it is exceptional service above and beyond what I expect *and* also what I wanted too i.e. I don't like it when people do extra things that I don't want and then expect a tip.

Well I did offer him a can of coke, and he was well interested in the TV I ordered so I gave him the address of the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

What I can't stand is when your fare is 7.40 or something and I usually hand them Eur 9.50 in change and say "there you go, there's 9.50 .. thanks" and they take it and say NOTHING and just start counting it with a look of 'God, I have to count some euros and a few 50 cent pieces now".

It really really bugs me - I feel like just saying 'well actually I've changed my mind - give me that Eur 2.10 back please'.

Delivery guys at the door are like this also. When something is around say Eur17.20 or something and you give them a score and they suddenly start feeling the pockets for change and can't remember if they have the money or say they need to go get the change in the car in the hope you'll say 'ah keep it'.

On the other hand I always tip taxi drivers who when a fair is say Eur 10.80 just say 'ah just give me a tenner'. I always give those guys 12 Euro or something.

No one likes tipping people who expect it.

Nico

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I only tip in restaurants or lounge staff in bars if the service is good.

I wouldnt tip taxi drivers, bell boys, delivery folk etc.
    Im a tight ar$e!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Do tips have to be declared for tax? Where I work, receiving gifts of any kind is now forbidden due to it all having to be declared for tax reasons. It was allowed until a change (or crackdown?) in the law some years ago, which also resulted in the Christmas bonus being taxed when it wasn't before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Kahless wrote: »
    Do tips have to be declared for tax? Where I work, receiving gifts of any kind is now forbidden due to it all having to be declared for tax reasons. It was allowed until a change (or crackdown?) in the law some years ago, which also resulted in the Christmas bonus being taxed when it wasn't before.

Yes. Its income...so needs to be taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

i tip my barber if he does a good job...dunno why...just do. i can totally see the point of the "no tipping camp". i work as hard as a delivery man, but don't get tipped, so why should they expect such??

if i got a pizza delivered and it was 18euro and give him a twenty and tell him keep the change. or if i was in a restaurant and i was very happy with the service i'd tip two or three euro...but if i hadnt the change it wouldnt bother me in the slightest...

its different in the US. wages are low, but so are prices, and the employees depend on tips. here the wages are high, and so are the prices, so not tipping is perfectly fine...they're not depending on it...it's a bonus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No need to tip delivery men at all!

agreed, tipping is out of control I think

Advertisement