Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When to display L-plates?

Options
  • 11-07-2008 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭

I have the magnetic plates that fit onto the rear and onto the bonnet.
    Obviously enough when I'm driving I'd need my plates up.
    But what about when I park up the car and it's going nowhere, is it alright for me to take the plates off? (It looks prettier :o)
    Do they always have to be displayed, or only when you're driving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only when you're driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

qz wrote: »
    I have the magnetic plates that fit onto the rear and onto the bonnet.
    Obviously enough when I'm driving I'd need my plates up.
    But what about when I park up the car and it's going nowhere, is it alright for me to take the plates off? (It looks prettier :o)
    Do they always have to be displayed, or only when you're driving?

My brother used to take them off when it was parked, otherwise they'll be knicked. You'll only have to display them when you as the learner are behind the wheel. It's not the car that's a learner driver it's you so why should it have plates up when you're not in it. I used to drive the family car and my parents always took my l plates down when they were driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Super. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 aarnb

My advice would be to get the ones that you stick up inside the car... i have had hen parties and kids take them off my car at traffic lights... but i guess that depends where you are driving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Also, watch the way that you put the magnetic plates on. I know of someone (not me:) ) who bought some in Tesco. The magnetic strip ran parallel to the 'leg' of the L and the plate blew off as the wind got under the plate :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

aarnb wrote: »
    ... i have had hen parties and kids take them off my car at traffic lights... :)

Thats a great excuse to tell the guards if they stop you without L-plates! A hen party stole them!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I have magnetic L-plates, they're handy as others who drive your car don't get stopped and hassled by the Garda...only problem is they keep falling off my car!

Might make my own from perspex...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I used to use these non-adhesive ones that stuck onto the inside of the window with static electricity when I was learning. I got them in an AA shop at the time.

Advertisement