Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transfer of UK license to Irish

Options
  • 11-07-2008 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

I've just been fined here in Ireland for a road traffic offence. I do still have my UK license but my work here in Ireland are talking about all foreign licenses are to be transfered to Irish. Two questions :

Are points transferable to a new Irish License?
    Can my work force me to change my license?

All thoughts are appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,954 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1: You get a warning that points "may" be put on to a future Irish licence. I've not heard of it happening, though.
    2: I doubt it, although they may 'encourage' you if you're causing them to have a higher insurance bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I've just been fined here in Ireland for a road traffic offence. I do still have my UK license but my work here in Ireland are talking about all foreign licenses are to be transfered to Irish. Two questions :

Are points transferable to a new Irish License?
    Can me work force me to change my license?

All thoughts are appreciated:D
    To Answer your second question, you are allowed Twelve months max to drive on Irish roads. After that it is up to your company Insurance to determine if you are still covered Insurance wise and if you can continue to drive as you may be a Major risk to your company. If the Gardai catches you, you may be put off the road. That depends in how they can detect and enforce it. I can be recorrected on that point if others have been succesfully convicted or put off the road.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit
    Holders of driving licences from other countries

Ireland also has agreements with certain other countries/States which means that if you are coming to Ireland to take up residence you can exchange your driving licence for a full Irish driving licence and you will not need to do a driving test. A full list of these countries and States is also outlined below.
    If you are not from any of the following countries/States but you do hold a national driving licence or an international driving permit from your own country, you can drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit. (A temporary visit is regarded as a period not exceeding 12 months). If you will be resident in Ireland for more than 12 months (and again, are not from any of the following countries/States) , you will need to go through the full driving licencing procedures (see 'How to apply). Since 1 January 2003, you are required to carry your driving licence with you at all times when motoring in Ireland.
    Licences from EU/EEA States are recognised, licences from these countries/States are also recognised:
    • Australia
    • Gibraltar
    • Isle of Man
    • Japan
    • Jersey
    • South Africa
    • South Korea
    • Switzerland
    If your Twelve Months are up, you are considered to be without a licence and points can be applied if caught.
    If you cannot legal drive, then your company may start legal proceeding to let you go, if it is a requirement for you to have a drivers licence for your Job.

To answer your First Question.
    Are your points Transferable to your UK Licence, I believe, Yes, but that depends on the time line it takes to get issued, as their is "Mutual recognition of penalty points between the UK, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man already exists" and with bureaucracy, it will probably takes time or they can implement them or when you are issued an Irish Licence they may be applied then.

Can they (UK points) be transfer on to your newly Irish licence, it is hard to say as I cannot find any concrete information, so it depends on the agreement between Irish and UK governments in their views in implementing it legally.

He didn't ask if the points could be transferred to his UK licence... and as it stands right now - they can't. We've only just announced mutual recognition of *bans* and theres no legislation as yet for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

In that case limklad doesn't all the guy have to do is take a quick journey back home to the uk and return again with a fresh 12 month time frame?

If I had a uk licence there is no way in hell i would swap it for an irish one!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

limklad wrote: »
    To Answer your second question, you are allowed Twelve months max to drive on Irish roads.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong. It's an EU licence and he can drive on it until it expires. He can exchange it before that time if he likes, but doesn't have to. That bit of info on the citizensinformation.ie site is possibly one of the most poorly formulated pieces of (mis-)information out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Alun wrote: »
    Wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong. It's an EU licence and he can drive on it until it expires. He can exchange it before that time if he likes, but doesn't have to. That bit of info on the citizensinformation.ie site is possibly one of the most poorly formulated pieces of (mis-)information out there.

+1

The Netherlands had the exact same rule which was resolved in the Treaty of Rome:
    The EU founding charter, the Treaty of Rome, allows for the freedom of movement of EU citizens, but Dutch regulations prevented expats from automatically using their foreign licence if they were a Dutch resident. Expats are considered a resident if they spend at least 185 days per calendar year in the Netherlands, but if they wished to use their driving licence for longer than a year, they previously had to have it registered. This is no longer the case and the change in regulations also applies to nationals of the incoming EU member states. But EU and EER nationals can still only use their foreign licence for a period of 10 years after the original issuance of the licence or the duration of the licence's validity before having to exchange it for a Dutch licence.

http://www.expatica.com/nl/life_in/leisure/how-to-get-a-dutch-drivers-licence-1672.html

On the Plus side i can get a Dutch license and keep my Irish license too :D

My Parents have been driving on their UK Licenses for 16 Years in the Republic with no Issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

the flip side of this though is that if he returns to the UK, and gets stopped whilst driving there, he can be arrested for fraud, as his UK licence will not have his correct address on it, and he cannot get his UK licence changed to an Irish address, so it's always something to keep in mind if he drives in the UK regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Scottie99

the flip side of this though is that if he returns to the UK, and gets stopped whilst driving there, he can be arrested for fraud, as his UK licence will not have his correct address on it, and he cannot get his UK licence changed to an Irish address, so it's always something to keep in mind if he drives in the UK regularly.

I've an address in UK, no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The only reason I imagine that an employer would require a foreign licence to be transferred here is where there is an insurance loading for drivers from right-side driving countries. I know of one case where an employer requested a Polish guy to change his licence over to save a few hundred on the fleet policy.

A UK licence is as good as is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fraud? Who is being defrauded?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

limklad wrote: »
    To NOT Answer your second question .blah. Garbled misinformation
    It would be nice if people posted true information, not made up stuff.

You are not obliged in any way to give up your UK licence.
    Don't lose it.

I have one and it is a far more valid licence than anything you get here.
    It is proof you did a test and reached an internationally accepted proper standard. It probably lasts you till you retire, check the dates on it, unlike the renewable Irish ones.
    cpo wrote:
    If I had a uk licence there is no way in hell i would swap it for an irish one
    Yep

The stuff limplad posted refers to non EEA or other nontransferable licences.

You company may also be concerned with the validity of certain Eastern European licences or other non EU ones, or the ability to corroborate driving history. I see the Motor tax offices are no longer accepting some EU licences on face value and looking for extra documentation from their relevant authorities.

As for fraud, if you are resident here, the address on your UK licence is no longer an issue with the DVLA. It just means you cant renew it without a UK address and other additional verification. If you didnt have a UK address and lost it, you would have to exchange it for the lesser Irish one. :(

The other issue about transfer of points, is NOT in place yet.
    The agreement is in regards to mutual recognition of driving disqualification. This will come in to force in March.
    Mutual points recognition is a little way off yet.

Irish Times
    "While driving bans will be dealt with on an all Ireland basis from March next year, a joined-up approach on penalty points is not expected to be introduced for another four or five years due to the number of legal obstacles that need to be overcome."

Doesnt mean you should try to get points though, if you ever did have to get an Irish licence, you virtual Irish licence will come with them applied from the date the licence is issued, so you could potentially get 10 years of fresh points on your first Irish licence.

Reminder - Dont lose that UK licence

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

wil wrote: »

How?
    It is proof you did a test and reached an internationally accepted proper standard. It probably lasts you till you retire, check the dates on it, unlike the renewable Irish ones.
    But if I move to the UK I can transfer my 'lesser' liscence to a UK one. I still haven't done this test you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

How?

But if I move to the UK I can transfer my 'lesser' liscence to a UK one. I still haven't done this test you speak of.
    Plenty of people on Irish licences never did any test.
    And our system to date is hardly a commendation.

If you move to the UK and become resident, you can drive on your current full Irish licence or exchange it for a new licence. Then you learn to improve your driving and avoid the bad habits you picked up here.
    Then you find greater driving can be enjoyable again
    (except for those cameras:()

Both confirm you have passed a test by a competent authority and are deemed safe to drive. Nothing more, please get off the high horse as theres other members queuing for it.
    It probably lasts you till you retire, check the dates on it, unlike the renewable Irish ones.

British photocard ID licences last ten years, just like Irish paper ones. These are all that have been issued for some years to newly qualified drivers and those that move house.

MYOB wrote: »
    British photocard ID licences last ten years, just like Irish paper ones. These are all that have been issued for some years to newly qualified drivers and those that move house.

I'm afraid your wrong, licenses last until your sixty five. I did check this out because I've been away for a while so it may have changed.
    Can you show me where is says this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is 70 actually. The paper part is valid until your 70th birthday. The photocard (if you have one) must be renewed every 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm afraid your wrong, licenses last until your sixty five. I did check this out because I've been away for a while so it may have changed.

My paper licence (well paper and a lot of sellotape:o) lasts until I'm 70.

As there is no legal requirement to change your licence, if your company try to force you to change it or threaten disciplinary action if you don't, I'd be taking it up with the race relations board or whatever their name is.

I'm afraid you're wrong.... and clearly didn't check it out!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070

Photocard licences are replaced every ten years (at cost to the holder), just like here.

esel wrote: »
    Fraud? Who is being defrauded?

It is an official document and your details on it must be correct. if your address on there is wrong, they will assume it means they are fake, so correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that fell under the "fraud" umbrella.

It is an official document and your details on it must be correct. if your address on there is wrong, they will assume it means they are fake, so correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that fell under the "fraud" umbrella.
    Well, if that really were the case, and I don't believe for one minute that it is, then the whole mutual recognition of EU licences thing would fall at the first hurdle, wouldn't it? My (perfectly valid) Dutch licence has my old Dutch address on it, and I can't change it.

If I ever have to present my licence, say for hiring a rental car, I always point out that the address is no longer valid. If however I were to try and knowingly pass off the address on my licence as my real address, when I knew it wasn't up to date, then i suppose that could be construed as something illegal, although fraud might be too strong a word for it.

Anyway, using addresses of parents and relatives on official documents, especially for students, seems to be widely accepted practice here, so that's a goof few easy 'fraud' convictions for the Gardai straight off.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Well, if that really were the case, and I don't believe for one minute that it is, then the whole mutual recognition of EU licences thing would fall at the first hurdle, wouldn't it? My (perfectly valid) Dutch licence has my old Dutch address on it, and I can't change it.

If I ever have to present my licence, say for hiring a rental car, I always point out that the address is no longer valid. If however I were to try and knowingly pass off the address on my licence as my real address, when I knew it wasn't up to date, then i suppose that could be construed as something illegal, although fraud might be too strong a word for it.

Anyway, using addresses of parents and relatives on official documents, especially for students, seems to be widely accepted practice here, so that's a goof few easy 'fraud' convictions for the Gardai straight off.

that's exactly how i found out about this, as i went to the UK and rented a car there. I've been in Ireland for 5 years now, and the guys at the rental agency said that the first year isn't an issue but to still have a driving licence after that period of time with the wrong detais can lead you into serious trouble. make what you want of it.

As for students and parent addresses, if you're constantly moving about, it makes sense to have a "permanent" address where you can be found. i doubt you will ever get into trouble. And to be fair, as soon as you apply the word of the law to its fullest (and usually quite ridiculous), you can turn most situations into some illegal activity or other.

that's exactly how i found out about this, as i went to the UK and rented a car there. I've been in Ireland for 5 years now, and the guys at the rental agency said that the first year isn't an issue but to still have a driving licence after that period of time with the wrong detais can lead you into serious trouble. make what you want of it.
    Have you sought clarification on this from the horses mouth, i.e. the DVLA? I'd take their word over that of a car rental agent any day of the week. As I said, if true, it'd make a mockery of the whole mutual recognition thing, which wouldn't make much sense.

Driving licences in much of Europe don't even record your address.

MYOB wrote: »
    Driving licences in much of Europe don't even record your address.
    The EU pink standard pattern driving licence has a field for the address though, doesn't it? Or is it optional?

My Dutch licence certainly has it, but they're pretty lax over there with such things. When I moved house there, I went along to the town hall to change the address in it, and they laughed at me. Told me not to bother (because it would cost me!) and to do it when it came up for renewal. Then again, your licence number there contains your SoFi number, or National Insurance number, and they can find anything they want about you based on that, so it's probably not important.

German photocard licence doesn't have it, from memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sp1derman78

Not exactly the scenario of the OP but my personal experience.

Learned to drive in Ireland when I was old enough, passed my test and got a 10 year paper license(photo and address on it).

Moved to the UK a year later and have been here almost 10 years. During my years here I misplaced my Irish paper license. Got my mum (in Ireland) to pick up a form and send it to me to get a replacement. Filled it in and when I was next in Ireland popped into a Garda station to get Garda to sign it. Sent it off and got a replacement with my folks address.

Last year my Irish license was due to expire and I researched on the UK DVLA website and called them up to confirm I could drive on a valid Irish license until i was 70yrs. I had also started a new job with a company car and my employer had no issue with an Irish license. I was also concerned if I exchanged it for a UK one would it show that I have had a valid licence for 10years as officially to drive my comapny car I should have a licence for 2 years. I was assured it would be shown on the rear of the card.

I have hired cars at Irish airports over the years made from Internet bookings with my UK address. Shown my Irish license and explained that was not my home address on the booking or credit card.....never made a difference.

In the end I made a personal decision to exchange it with the DVLA for a UK license. Makes it easier when getting replacements and renewing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Canary144

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether its possible to get apply to get an Irish license whilst retaining your UK one? Got a speeding ticket the other day and was told that since I have a UK ticket I they would hold these "ghost" points indefinitely until I have an Irish one to have them put on. Then they are there for 2 years.
    Just wondered if I got an Irish one then I got get through the 2 years and get the slate wiped clean as such.
    My plan was to swap current UK one for an Irish one, and then contact UK to say I have lost mine and get a new one issued.

Anyone see any issues here?

Canary144 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone know whether its possible to get apply to get an Irish license whilst retaining your UK one? Got a speeding ticket the other day and was told that since I have a UK ticket I they would hold these "ghost" points indefinitely until I have an Irish one to have them put on. Then they are there for 2 years.
    Just wondered if I got an Irish one then I got get through the 2 years and get the slate wiped clean as such.
    My plan was to swap current UK one for an Irish one, and then contact UK to say I have lost mine and get a new one issued.

Anyone see any issues here?

Then they are there for 2 years........I thought it was 3?

Who told you this?

As far as I know they put the details on to a foreign database. For what reason I don't know............
    Yes....... apply for an Irish License and let me know how you get on! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Ireland and Britain have just agreed to share points across licenses. So any points gained in Ireland will go on your British license & vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wrong! They have just agreed to recognise disqualifications between the 3 jurisdictions.
    An agreement on points is along way off yet. 5 years has been quoted.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0209/driving.html
    Driving disqualification initiative agreed
    Thursday, 9 February 2006

The green light has been given to a new initiative that will see Irish motorists who are disqualified from driving in the UK, also disqualified from Irish roads.

Equally, drivers from the UK who are banned from driving in Ireland will also be disqualified from driving in their respective jurisdictions.

The Road Safety Initiative, agreed at today's British-Irish Council meeting in Belfast, will cover serious road traffic offences.

Driving disqualifications for offences such as drink-driving, dangerous or reckless driving, hit and runs and speeding are included in the agreement.

Advertisement