Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A website up and running by the end of the day..

Options
  • 11-07-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I'd like a site with a forum, news, photo gallery and open source CMS like joomla by the end of the day. I can pay in festival tickets for Knockanstockan.

Can you help?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Bought hosting and registered domain names.

EDIT 12.05
    Just seen another thread deleted since someone was soliciting work here instead of adverts.ie

I'd be grateful if you could please make an exception and leave the thread?! I'll update it with progress during the day so people that are interested in web design can see if it's possible to go from advert to live site in a matter of hours?

Or if, as has been known to happen, I fall flat on my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Check your hosting package, you may get a forum, gallery and blog as part of it.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Check your hosting package, you may get a forum, gallery and blog as part of it.

AFAIK I do, but I don't know how to set it up!! That's the help I need, please!

So far, I've been advised to use CMS made simple so I'm looking into loading that up - but their website starts with "If you are an experienced web developer" - and well I'm not!

tis a bit of a black box for me.

I've had one offer from someone that can start work this evening - anyone else able to get in touch and start work sooner please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Just seems a tad lazy. An install of all of the above could be achieved very quickly. Most likely your hosting company will offer an auto installer. Will whoever installs the above apply a common skin to all the applications? Will they be integrated in anyway? There will be an management/admin element to each of them going forward, who will manage this?

Its fine getting it all installed quickly but from the aspect of presenting the site to users, you may leave yourself high and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

doesn't joomla have all of these features / modules as addons ?

(not that I really like joomla that much)

• Advertisement

Just seems a tad lazy.

Really? I don't mean to be smart, but I don't know how to do 'install those things'

I'm right out at the edge of what I know registering domain names etc and buying hosting. And I'd just like someone with time to work on it to do it as a service.

The gimmick of having it done by the end of the day is clearly just that - but aren't you interested to see if it can be? I am!

The other questions that you raised are very valid - thx.

Will whoever installs the above apply a common skin to all the applications?
    Ideally, but not critical - as long as there's some simple thematic consistence that should be fine.

Will they be integrated in anyway?
    Separate logins to edit website content (news/photo gallery/other pages) and forum (admin and users)

EDIT: I'm off to try and find out what an autoinstaller might look like in the h365 hosting panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0,http://www.meatspin.com" />
    </head>
    <body>
    <open_CMS ($LOAD_WEBSITE$)>
    </body>
    </html>

That will do it.

funny ha ha or just weird? Whatever you're into.

keep it to your own thread tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you have an issue with a particular feature of your site, contact your provider. If you want to log a blow by blow account of setting up the site, feel free to start a new thread for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement