Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems updating PS3 to v2.41

Options
  • 11-07-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi...

I have been trying to update a PS3 to v2.41 via a USB memory stick but when in the PS3 update menus it recognises the PS3 and UPDATE folder but not the PUP file. It's as if the file is not there (it is).

Has anyone else had this problem, any ideas how to get around it.

Some other info:

The PS3 has not been updated since it was bought when they were released originally. Would this make a difference? As in, is it necessary to apply the updates incrementally as opposed to going for the mostrecent one?

Is it possible to connect the PS3 to a laptop and update it that way via USB or Ethernet cables? There is no Internet connection available in this situation...

Thanks.

Head
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

you can update to the most recent one.

not sure why it doesn't work.

did you follow everything as in the link below? mainly... selecting 'update from storage media'?

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/SystemUpdate/pc_update.html#update_PC

just curious ---- by the way if your ps3 has no internet connection do you really need to update as when you get a new game it will update the firmware from the game disc anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

superweld wrote: »
    did you follow everything as in the link below? mainly... selecting 'update from storage media'?

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/SystemUpdate/pc_update.html#update_PC

just curious ---- by the way if your ps3 has no internet connection do you really need to update as when you get a new game it will update the firmware from the game disc anyway

Yes to the first question, everything followed to the letter...

As for the second question, my understanding is that it is necessary to have the updates in order to access parts of some games? (It's not my PS3, it's for a guy with a disability that I look after so I'm not up to scratch with all the PS3 info). So are you saying that each game will have it's own firmware to allow the user to access all of the game and that in that case the public updates aren't required, making them redundant as such? Surely there has to be some benefit to having them, otherwise nobody would need them?

I'm a bit confused about that part so if you could clarify that it would be great. Thanks for the reply.

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

yep, if you pop in a game it will tell you that it needs to update the firmware before you play it and then you can update from that.

the reason people download them is because they want them straight away as certain updates affect online capabiites, ability to watch avi's, blu-ray upadates etc

also they might not be planning to buy a new games so want the update now. the new 2.41 update has option for ingame messaging so this is handy for people playing online so they want it now

if you have no internet with the ps3 then all that doesn't bother you.

so basically you will have no problem with games as each game has the required firmware on the disc

I see, that puts a different slant on things, but it explains it perfectly clearly, thanks a million!

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

superweld wrote: »
    yep, if you pop in a game it will tell you that it needs to update the firmware before you play it and then you can update from that.

the reason people download them is because they want them straight away as certain updates affect online capabiites, ability to watch avi's, blu-ray upadates etc

also they might not be planning to buy a new games so want the update now. the new 2.41 update has option for ingame messaging so this is handy for people playing online so they want it now

if you have no internet with the ps3 then all that doesn't bother you.

so basically you will have no problem with games as each game has the required firmware on the disc
    What you're saying doesn't make sense. Firmware updates are for a lot more than just online stuff. And just because 2.41 is specifically for updating online aspects of the PS3, you seem to be forgetting that each update also carries every other update that was previously brought out. So updating to 2.41 is a perfectly logical thing to do with a PS3 that has never been updated before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you really still want to update, download it from here:
    http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2008_0708_67c660325b0b97acdeda6c0913dc1f74/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Then put the PUP file in PS3\UPDATE and go to Settings/System Update and then choose update from Removable Device.

Well thanks for all the suggestions guys... I finally managed to get the situation sorted. We signed up for Clearwire and connected the PS3 directly to that and it downloaded the updates itself. In my earlier post I wasnt aware that Clearwire operated a service in this area and had lost faith in finding a service provider (previous IBB install attempt had failed due to bad reception) but then I discovered they do and we were online in 20 minutes. It was incredibly simple to connect the PS3 also, just swapped the ethernet cables and auto config everything and it was sorted! I must say I am quite impressed with this Clearwire service!

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions and help earlier, much appreciated...

Head

Advertisement