Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini pump

Options
  • 11-07-2008 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi ... long time lurker ... first time poster ... need some help regarding choosing a mini pump to carry on the bike.

I have a Canyon mini pump and after 3 punctures last month (tyres worn out) and trying to get the tyres back to somewhat decent pressure (60psi on road tyres) ... I think I need a somewhat easier option.

Looking at
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/YPK_Nitro_Sport_Pump/5360032759/

Looks like it opens into a small floor pump so you can push down rather than work it like a bull worker. Does anybody have any experience using this.

Looks quite a bit cheaper than similar top peak ones.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

I have this one:
    http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/28966/Sp.-Airtool-Mini-Pump/

I always carry backpack with me. Along with some things I need so it's not attached to frame. It's quite solid nothings bending while pumping. Only thing is the handle as it's not the type of ones you've showed in your post that fits your hand nicely. But still it's quite alright for me. It's got mounting piece so you can carry it attached to frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Might be tempting fate here, but I carry C02 cartridges with me -pretty cheap and quick to inflate your tyres, and will last long enough to get you home to a track pump.

It's about 20 quid or so for the head and a couple of cartridges, and then 6 or 7 quid for a pack of 3 carts afterward.

-Carry them all the time, but have only ever given 'em to others who punctured and needed help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

Is one cartrige enough to pump your wheel to decent lvl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I was contemplating buying one of these..

Handy portable pump that doubles as a trackstand pump at home. Bag for attaching to the frame of bike when MTB, don't like to carry a backpack. Anyone got one ?

Or else, a good small mini-pump with a pressure gauge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Verb wrote: »
    Or else, a good small mini-pump with a pressure gauge?

I got one in Lidl a few weeks ago. It's not as mini as my Super-Mini pump, but it's mini enough and has a pressure gauge. I'll show you guys tomorrow.
    lidlminpump-280-80.jpg

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/lidls-discount-bike-bits-on-the-way-15441?img=5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

omri wrote: »
    Is one cartrige enough to pump your wheel to decent lvl ?

One will get a 700x23c tyre to 100psi or so, so it'll definately get you home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Tiny ... have definitely considered the CO2 cartidges ... but somehow seem too wasteful ... :o ... money and environment wise ... while a pump would in theory be for life ..

Caroline ... have used the lidl pump as well ... works better than mine .. and the high volume / high pressure switch is a good feature .... but I seriously think my upper body has wasted away from cycling :eek: ... can never seem to get the arm motion going to pump up to a reasonable pressure.

Verb ... was seriously considering the rapidaire as well ... but it gets a mixed bag of reviews

If only someone could point to a battery operated mini pump ... that would be the biz .. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have the Topeak Master Blaster Mini G pump. G = has guage. 16.28 with the guage.
    Comes with bracket to attach with bottle cage bolts.
    It was my only pump for a few years (until I got the Toppeak Job Joe Blow Track pump) and worked well for the punctures I got out on the road. Of course it is a lot more work than a track pump but is portable.

Actually I've been so happy with this pump that I've given 3 of them to relatives as gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have the standard €10 BBB pump. I doubt I get up to 100psi with it but I certainly get enough to get me home (I will top up if I pass a petrol station, you just need a small adapter for this that I leave on the valve at all times.) I did notice when helping someone with a puncture on the Mick Byrne 200 that his mini-pump didn't work half as well as my one (which surprised me,) finished off the job with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Have a pretty basic Blackburn one myself. I think the mini pumps with gauges are a bit of a rip-off though, seeing as you will never get near the full pressure.

For any newbies wondering if they will get away with just a mini-pump, well you wont, a track pump is essential equipment for any reasonably serious cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

A portable pump with gauge is probably more useful for mtb than roadies. It can be handy to drop/raise the pressure in the tyre depending on conditions. Doing it with a gauge is a bit more reliable than just guessing ! At least for me anyway. Maybe it's easier to tell with more experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

All my needs answered ...
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_6418.htm

battery operated and upto 100psi ...... now to miniaturise this ... :D

Advertisement