Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations on a pair of (Large) Overshoes...

Options
  • 11-07-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks,

After many years of waterproof jacket and trousers with plastic bags on my feet I became aware that you can get waterproof overshoes (Before I found out they existed I had plans to invent them:)

Basically I've had a look on CRC and am not sure what it is exactly I need.

These are only for commuting purposes, I will be wearing shoes or runners underneath them, not cycling shoes.

I need them to be waterproof, big, I take a size 12, and cheap (my waterproofs cost a whopping €18 from a shop on Camden St so I'm not looking for ultra high quality, just something to stop my feet wetting soggy. Also I'd like them to be in stock now (due to the inclement weather conditions)

Only some of them seem to mention being waterproof, not sure if they all are and only some say it?

These ones look cheap, but there's no mention of them being waterproof:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26570
    And they seem to be out of stock in my size

Again no mention of these being waterproof:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25620
    But they have them in my size

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

BBB Waterflex -you can get them from Joe Daly's in Dundrum for about 25 quid (Or possibly any other lbs -bbb is very popular around here).

Got a pair a couple of weeks ago and they're fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

the ones you've linked to are neoprene which isn't waterproof. they're intended for winter use and they'll keep your feet warm in almost any weather, but no necessarily dry. there's another type that work as a membrane (i think the ones TinyExplosions is referings to) that will keep your tootsies dry, but maybe not as warm in a freezing january downpour - that's the type you want i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

BBB Waterflex -you can get them from Joe Daly's in Dundrum for about 25 quid (Or possibly any other lbs -bbb is very popular around here).

Got a pair a couple of weeks ago and they're fantastic!
    I've been using these for a couple of years and they are great. They are lightweight and very waterproof. Got mine in Joe Daly's too, and he had a better price than other shops, but you should be able to pick them up in any bike shop if that isn't convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

id buy them in a shop (joe dalys as recommended above) and make sure they fit. Im a size 11 and i bought XXL overshoes (Last year, so cant remember the brand - sorry) and they had to be put onto my cycling shoes permanently. they were far too tight to put on when it rains, and take off when it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Two more wet days in a row so I finally ordered a pair of BBB Waterflex from BikeBits, lets hope they get here soon.

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yep, reckon I'll stop into Joe Daly's next morning I'm passing after 9am and pick up a pair of BBB Waterflex - soggy feet are the only downer I have with cycling in the rain so hopefully this sorts out the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Have some waterproof "Pro Endure H2O Multi-Fit overshoes" on the way from probikekit myself. Neither Joe Daly's or bikebits have waterflex in my size and I couldn't wait.

Will let you know what they're like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

dub_skav wrote: »
    Have some waterproof "Pro Endure H2O Multi-Fit overshoes" on the way from probikekit myself. Neither Joe Daly's or bikebits have waterflex in my size and I couldn't wait.

Will let you know what they're like

I'm a size 11 - do you happen to remember if Joe Dalys have a suitable size in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I bought a pair of Altura Night Vision overshoes last year but didn't use them in the end because they were such a pain to use with my commuting bike's toe-clips. (I have large feet: size 11.5 - 12)

However, I took them touring recently and found them brilliant with the SPD pedals I have on my touring bike. Now after a few royal soakings courtesy of Her Majesty's Scottishest weather, I can't say my feet were 100% dry but they were easily the driest part (of the outside) of me. I recommend them for use either with regular pedals (and no toe-clips) or clipless pedal systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I'm a size 11 - do you happen to remember if Joe Dalys have a suitable size in stock?

They didn't when i was in last Thursday - I'm a 10 and would have taken your size too. But he said they had ordered some.

Sorry that's not particularly helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

They go on European sizing and cover two sizes - 43/44, 45/46.

I found I was OK matching to my shoe size (45, went for 45/46- tight fit, but that is how they have to be to work.)

Advertisement