Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Race

Options
  • 11-07-2008 12:22pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, I finally got my act together and got out for my first road race in our club league. As I expected, I was kind of rubbish.

It was a handicap race, so I was sent out with the first of two groups. Nice pace and I was taking some pulls up the front until I realised that only about a quarter of the people were doing the work. Given that it was my first race, I decided to sit in for a bit. Tried a totally bird brained attack about a third of the way through that saw me go off the front and then totally overcooking a sharp corner. I had people coming up to me afterwards saying "I can't believe you didn't crash there".

Got dropped half way through the second of two laps. Had the legs, didn't have the lungs. Preoccupied myself then with chasing people who'd gotten dropped after me. Time to give up the old cancer sticks.

Even though we were racing on wet roads, it was far less scary than I thought it would be. No crazy diving into corners (apart from me that is) and no argy bargy in the bunch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

Have you done any special training before trying racing ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

omri wrote: »
    Have you done any special training before trying racing ?

Not a bit. I ride a lot, but haven't been doing anything structured. I've got some clue now though as to what I'll have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Sounds class alright, how long was it and what was the average speed?

Fair play to you for managing that with the smoking and all!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sounds class alright, how long was it and what was the average speed?

Race was about 45km. I checked my average speed just after I got dropped and it was something like 39kph. Was down to 35kph by the time I finished after being out on my own in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

fair play to you for taking it on - i'm still too chicken (plus av.39kph is still beyond the pale), and congratulations on making the transition from non-competitive cyclist to racer.

did you try to breakaway on your own?

• Advertisement

39kph average that's quite fast pace...

niceonetom wrote: »
    fair play to you for taking it on - i'm still too chicken (plus av.39kph is still beyond the pale), and congratulations on making the transition from non-competitive cyclist to racer.

I wouldn't be intimidated by it at all. At that pace, it's amazing how much of a difference it makes being tucked in behind a few others. I'd say you'd have better puff than me and would have been able to hang in there.
    did you try to breakaway on your own?

Yes and it was a bit of a dumb move. Just a spur of the moment thing to see what would happen. I got yelled at. Was told that the etiquette is to work together until you are sure that the scratch group isn't going to catch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

fair play to you for taking it on - i'm still too chicken (plus av.39kph is still beyond the pale),
    You'd be surprised how easy it is do to 40kph in the middle of a bunch. (ok not easy, but not as hard as you'd imagine)
    Nice pace and I was taking some pulls up the front until I realised that only about a quarter of the people were doing the work.
    I read a quote somewhere about letting other guys do the work, "lick the other guys plates clean before you touch your own". Not exactly fair, but it is a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

I tried my hand at club racing earlier this summer and got dropped very early. New to the sport after years of athletics so I figured I needed a solid year of long commutes and regular rides to be in decent enough shape to begin a structured plan next year. And race "properly" :pac:

How long and how often have you been cycling for to build up that base?

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I read a quote somewhere about letting other guys do the work, "lick the other guys plates clean before you touch your own". Not exactly fair, but it is a race.

True, but if you leave all the work to a small group of people you risk getting caught by the fast boys. There's also the guilt. Two of the people doing most of the work last night were people I knew, one of whom was rogerb, from Boards.
    How long and how often have you been cycling for to build up that base?

I've been cycling for a few years, but taking it more seriously over the last year and a half. I'd usually go out around three times a week. Last year the goal was the W200. This year it was doing the W200 and starting to race. I wouldn't say I've built up the base yet though. As I discovered last night, my aerobic fitness sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    There's also the guilt. Two of the people doing most of the work last night were people I knew, one of whom was rogerb, from Boards.

Yes, but Rogerb's a freak of nature and should be forced to pull everyone, all the time. You can be free of guilt on that score.

I know the temptation to head off the front -do it too often on the track myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Well done El Tonto.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well done El Tonto, sounds like a good first experience and I suspect you will have caught the bug. I'd plan on trying this next year, after I join a club (probably Orwell.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I've really been feeling the effect of smoking on my lungs the last few months. I don't want to be one of those self-loathing smokers, but it is getting depressing.

If you're able to give a decent showing at a race now el tonto you won't know yourself if you quit.

Fairplay to you.

blorg wrote: »
    Well done El Tonto, sounds like a good first experience and I suspect you will have caught the bug. I'd plan on trying this next year, after I join a club (probably Orwell.)

Why wait? You're a much stronger rider than me and you should have no problems. Getting a few races under your belt before the end of the summer would give you a better idea of what you need to do to prepare for next year.
    If you're able to give a decent showing at a race now el tonto you won't know yourself if you quit.

I'd hardly call it a decent showing now, more like one step above utter embarrassment. But you're right, any time I do quit smoking I'm a different man on the bike, even within a matter of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd hardly call it a decent showing now, more like one step above utter embarrassment. But you're right, any time I do quit smoking I'm a different man on the bike, even within a matter of days.

I think you should maybe try filterless smokes -much better transfer of that lovely tobacco into those lungs.... anything to slow you down would be fine by me :)

I think you should maybe try filterless smokes -much better transfer of that lovely tobacco into those lungs.... anything to slow you down would be fine by me :)

Actually, smoking doesn't really slow me down as such. I'd still have the same level of strength. The problem is that it clogs up my lungs and as a result sends my heart rate through the roof on long sustained efforts. So it isn't really my speed, but how long I can hold that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Not to rain on the parade, but the smoking will absolutely crucify your performance.

Firstly, it will physically damage your lungs and limit the amount of air you can transfer in and out of them.

It will also limit the amount of oxygen you can transfer from the air in your lungs into your blood. So, you are getting less air into your lungs and you are taking less oxygen out of this already diminished source.

It also limits the ability of your hemoglobin (oxygen carrying stuff in your blood) to get oxygen to your working muscles. Oxygen is the fuel your muscles need and they are crying out for it during exercise. Your heart beats faster during exercise to pump the oxygen rich blood to the working muscles - the harder you work, the more fuel (oxygen) is needed and hence the harder your heart beats. A smokers heart rate will be higher than a non smoker because the blood it is pumping is not saturated with oxygen (as it should be) and it has to work harder to deliver the same amount of fuel.

Plus, your blood is more than likely being pumped through arteries and veins that are damaged too... I could go on, but I won't. I'm not some crazy anti-smoker but this does fall under my professional expertise and if you gave up, you would see great improvements in performance and health!!

Fair play for doing the race BTW - Kudos.

try power breath - www.powerbreath.com been doing this for few weeks felt slight change but one need to do it for at least 6 months to get some real improvement

Believe me, I'm acutely aware of exactly what it does to me. During the times I have been trying to quit I've read up a lot on it just to hammer home the damage it does. It just shows you what a hopeless addict I am that I know all this and can still carry on.

• Advertisement

Quitting is not easy - I used to smoke when I was a young'un - but it is worthwhile. Perhaps the races might be extra incentive for you - quit and see how your performance improves - replace the ciggies with an addiction to performance times!!

bwardrop wrote: »
    Quitting is not easy - I used to smoke when I was a young'un - but it is worthwhile. Perhaps the races might be extra incentive for you - quit and see how your performance improves - replace the ciggies with an addiction to performance times!!

Yep, you're right. I tend to do fine for a few weeks and then have a stressful day in work and fall off the wagon.

Not to rain on the parade, but the smoking will absolutely crucify your performance.

Firstly, it will physically damage your lungs and limit the amount of air you can transfer in and out of them.

It will also limit the amount of oxygen you can transfer from the air in your lungs into your blood. So, you are getting less air into your lungs and you are taking less oxygen out of this already diminished source.

It also limits the ability of your hemoglobin (oxygen carrying stuff in your blood) to get oxygen to your working muscles. Oxygen is the fuel your muscles need and they are crying out for it during exercise. Your heart beats faster during exercise to pump the oxygen rich blood to the working muscles - the harder you work, the more fuel (oxygen) is needed and hence the harder your heart beats. A smokers heart rate will be higher than a non smoker because the blood it is pumping is not saturated with oxygen (as it should be) and it has to work harder to deliver the same amount of fuel.

Plus, your blood is more than likely being pumped through arteries and veins that are damaged too... I could go on, but I won't. I'm not some crazy anti-smoker but this does fall under my professional expertise and if you gave up, you would see great improvements in performance and health!!

Fair play for doing the race BTW - Kudos.

Dude, smokers know this. It's not the 1940's.

Dude, smokers know this. It's not the 1940's.

Dude, was only trying to help!

Was only trying to help!

And your encouragement is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Why wait? You're a much stronger rider than me and you should have no problems. Getting a few races under your belt before the end of the summer would give you a better idea of what you need to do to prepare for next year.
    I'd say I'm a stronger rider when a hill is involved, not sure on the flat :D You do seem to do more than your fair share at the front all right, I reckon you were in front more than anyone on the road to Kenmare and as I said to you there was a fairly big group behind the four of us doing nothing! Only reason I'd be waiting until next year would be due to relative inexperience riding in a bunch; I wouldn't like to be the cause of a crash. But I'm getting more experience at this and as you say might be a good idea to get a few races in before the end of the summer.

I do reckon dumping the smoking would cause a massive improvement, I have allergy-related breathing issues myself and it certainly doesn't help performance when it happens!

Dude, was only trying to help!

I know I know I know. I shouldn't have brought it up.

blorg wrote: »
    Only reason I'd be waiting until next year would be due to relative inexperience riding in a bunch; I wouldn't like to be the cause of a crash. But I'm getting more experience at this and as you say might be a good idea to get a few races in before the end of the summer.

I've ridden with you a bit now and you never struck me as someone who's a sketchy rider. The bunch took the form of a double pace line last night, with a bunch of riders strung out in single file along the back. It's not like you're riding in a big peloton strung across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Well Done El Tonto. I started racing this year too in our club league. I've only been on the bike since 2006 and seriously since 2007 when I did the W200. Thought this year I'd try my hand (or indeed legs) at racing and came 6th in my first ever race and the first club league race of the season!! Thought "yeah this could be for me". Haven't managed that good since.

A 39kph average is fast in my book and It'd be harder for you coming into racing half way through the season when race fittness has been built up by a lot of regular racers already. AND race fitness is different, equivalent to being match fit as it were. Next year I might try my hand at some open races, 4th cat I think is the beginner one.

I gave up the smokes on the 13th May 2004 and it's been brill. Became addicted to coffee instead! Haven't looked back. Alan Carr's "Easyway" book was my answer to giving up. If you haven't read it give it a go.

• Advertisement

Cheers Hungrycol. You never know, we might be lining out next to eachother at one of those open races next year.

Advertisement