Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Race

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Never knew they had 4th cat races? Thought it was just S1, S2, S3, Juniors and Veterans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I gave up the smokes on the 13th May 2004 and it's been brill. Became addicted to coffee instead! Haven't looked back. Alan Carr's "Easyway" book was my answer to giving up. If you haven't read it give it a go.

Ditto that. Gave up in April 1997, never looked back. One chapter of that book and I was done.

As a cyclist, I struggle enough with hills, hayfever, excess weight (on my gut, not components!!) and wind. Having the lungs I had back then would be one too many challenges!!

Well done El Tonto, sounds like you handled it pretty well, and learnt a lot first time out. Keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Never knew they had 4th cat races? Thought it was just S1, S2, S3, Juniors and Veterans?

only in league races, in national races there is S1, S2, S3, Juniors and Veterans, but in league races there is a forth group, aka "limit", this group is for first time racers dependin on there fitness.

it is used to gather interest for the rider as if you just started doing s3 races you will not do so well,

the limit group is used for you to gain experience being in a bunch for longer also,

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Its probably advisable for any one interested in getting a feel for the competitive side to join a Cycling Ireland affiliated club. There are numerous leagues around the country where you can start out in the limit group and get used to the pace, the tactics and the etiquette. Theres no need to be scared to take part in your first event. The groups are normally small - maybe a dozen riders with a paceline only two riders abreast doing up and over. Very often you will have more experienced riders giving advice (not always welcome!)and controlling the pace.

As you get fitter you try and stay with the faster groups as they catch you and hopefully get to finish with a large group.

I'm based in the South East but I'm sure there are numerous club leagues in Dublin. From my own experience as a late comer to racing I've found most peolpe involved in clubs to be encouraging and helpful.

As an example there are some videos on the Comeragh CC, Waterford, website of their league events. http://www.comeraghcc.com/ It will give people an idea of the type of events in club racing. They would normally have between 30-50 riders on a tuesday evening for a ten race league with novices/tri athletes in the limit group up to 1st cat riders, RAS winners in the scratch group.(and occasionly a certain expro who used to be handy called Kelly turns up).

While its great to see like minded people form groups like Team Boards for leisure events and the social side of riding if you want to go racing an established club is a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

King Kelly, I do a few leagues (all of them badly these last few weeks) and I find the Waterford one to be the toughest. The scratch group is pretty serious! But thanks for giving my website and video's a plug ! Its a shame I have to destroy the quality to get the things to fit on Youtube.

Good advice though, I was a leisure rider myself, converting to a race rider this year and you are far better off being in a racing club. You will pick up so much from the people around you....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

King Kelly wrote: »
    Its probably advisable for any one interested in getting a feel for the competitive side to join a Cycling Ireland affiliated club...
    While its great to see like minded people form groups like Team Boards for leisure events and the social side of riding if you want to go racing an established club is a better option.

That was my thinking too. I'm in Orwell Wheelers here in Dublin. Joined a while back. Only getting out to race now.

Advertisement