Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans - How strict are you?

Options
  • 11-07-2008 12:23pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I work in a shop that sells products for your hair, skin and body. A woman came in the other day looking for a shampoo for dry hair. The one we sell is a honey shampoo, and she said "Oh no, I'm vegan, I can't use honey". She left to go try and find a hemp product instead.

Now, I always kind of assumed that vegans only restricted what they ate, and maybe didn't wear leather. Obviously I'm wrong! I'm really interested to hear from the vegans out there, and see exactly what you restrict, beyond food?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

There are 'dietry' vegans who just restrict what they eat, but most will also avoid animal products from their whole lifestyle (clothes, cosmetics, etc). Depends on the person and the reasons

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Faith wrote: »
    I work in a shop that sells products for your hair, skin and body. A woman came in the other day looking for a shampoo for dry hair. The one we sell is a honey shampoo, and she said "Oh no, I'm vegan, I can't use honey". She left to go try and find a hemp product instead.

Now, I always kind of assumed that vegans only restricted what they ate, and maybe didn't wear leather. Obviously I'm wrong! I'm really interested to hear from the vegans out there, and see exactly what you restrict, beyond food?
    Most vegetarians won't wear leather and so on. All vegans I have met, including my girlfriend, will not use any animal products in anything. As for shampoo, make up and so on, they use products that have not been tested on animals. Some will not even use companies that have animal based products at all. This is under the premise that anything that harms an animal in any way should not be tolerated. If a vegan is not a vegan for ethical issues then this may differ.
    Any other questions and I'll be glad to answer.

I wouldn't say that most vegetarians avoid leather.
    I don't like to use leather for unneccesary things like handbags, belts or clothing.
    But I wear leather shoes for the health of my feet.Although I wouldn't wear snakeskin because that product is the reason the animal was killed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't know any that wear leather and so on then, I should have said.
    And half my group of friends from my hometown are vegetarian now, they all joined the darkside one by one over the years. ;)

Where is your hometown?? It is a LONG way from mine. We are talking lightyears here.

Vegetarianism has a broader spectrum of interpretations.

• Advertisement

Sligo. I imagine it's an odd case. Many of them were like: 'pff vegetarianism, sure why would you want to do that', well I get the last laugh! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dynastygal

I'm surprised you'd think a vegan would use something containing something they wouldn't even eat. O_o

I won't eat animal products, and I avoid using products containing them. I avoid vegan products made by big companies like Unilever and P & G since they test on animals. I don't like my food to be cooked in the same pan as my parents meat when it's being cooked at the same time. Etc.

Sligo. I imagine it's an odd case. Many of them were like: 'pff vegetarianism, sure why would you want to do that', well I get the last laugh! :D

I was accused of having a Sligo accent today! :eek:

I am rather surprised that ye are so cultured up there.

Nah, it's a hole so I escaped.

Nah, it's a hole so I escaped.

I actually like sligo, a climb up Knocknarea followed by a soak in the seaweed baths is my idea of heaven.

• Advertisement

My home is near knocknarea! Went up there on a school tour in primary school and won the 'most generous person award' for giving away loads of figrolls. :cool:

I assume the seaweed baths were in Strandhill, never been, seems ewwy.

Sligo.Hole.You don't know your born Knocknarea!

What?

I'm feeling hard done on in comparison.

Ah I was talking about the town, where I am from it is fantastic. Lovely scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

As outlined by the vegan society:
    Question: What is a vegan?

Answer: A vegan is someone who tries to live without exploiting animals, for the benefit of animals, people and the planet. Vegans eat a plant-based diet, with nothing coming from animals - no meat, milk, eggs or honey, for example. A vegan lifestyle also avoids leather, wool, silk and other animal products for clothing or any other purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I wonder would most vegans be willing to take medication.

I think they would avoid animal tested medicine up to a point. If they are going to die or use something to save their life then I would hazard they would use it.
    1) They can do more for animals being alive.
    2) The medicine is already there, no need to die. That, said I'm sure some few would.
    3) In todays society you have to accept that animals die or are used no matter what you eat, be in just in the harvesting of your food. It is naive to think otherwise. Animals have to suffer today to make you live.
    4) It is not about being morally absolute, 'this is what I believe so I will die by that sword', it is about living the best life you can while doing as little damage to animals as you can in the process.

all medication has to be tested on animals. it's the law. FDA makes sure of it, or whoever...

Really, what about herbal hippy medicine that vegans might use? woot

• Advertisement

sure, herbal... essential oils, bach flower, homeopathic... might solve all your ailments :/

but the serious, antibiotics/painkillers/'drugs' etc. they's have to be tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Atm, due to living at home for the summer (ie not doing my own grocery shopping, having limited lunch options at work etc) I'm only about 80 or 90% vegan, even in dietry terms. When not living at home I'd be 100% vegan dietry wise, and I don't wear leather or fur (but only coz I'm poor), I don't google companies to check about animal testing or anything though, but that's mostly coz my diet is more about health concerns than moral ones.

Advertisement