Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One PC has lost connectivity

Options
  • 11-07-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have two PC's, I usually only use one of them, it is connected (wired) to the home broadband modem.

About three days ago I lost internet connectivity on that machine, it was after a reboot of some automatic updates. WinXP by the way.

I've tried everything I can think of:
    -The machine has an IP assigned to it
    -The device is working properly (according to control panel)
    -The cable/modem/ADSL is good because I have tried it on the other machine and everything is fine.
    -The DNS settings are the same as the other machine

Any ideas what else I should be checking for here?

Thanks
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 _RoSy_

Hi Sconsey,

Do you use Zone Alarm on the machine that was affected? There was a problem with a windows update during the week which led to net connections on machines using Zone Alarm no longer functioning correctly, basically resulting in a complete loss of connectivity. It happened to one of the machines in our house, switching off zone alarm fixed it straight away.

If you're going to do that though, it's probably a good idea to switch on another firewall such as the built in windows firewall temporarily to keep you safe.

Have a look at: http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4304820.ece

for more info.

There also seems to be a fix of some sort available:

http://www.windowswatch.co.uk/2008/07/fix-promised-fo.html

but I've not looked into it yet so I'll leave that to you for the moment!

All the best,

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Hey Rosy,

Yeah I have Zonealarm on that machine, I checked to see that Firefox still had access through the firewall but never actually switched off the firewall.

Thanks, for the information, will give it a try when I get home today.

Sconsey

Advertisement