Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI cable

• 11-07-2008 12:40pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Just wondering whether to get one of these or not.

Is it far superior to the HD inputs that come with the console?

And will any standard HDMI cable work with the 360?

I'm just wondering as I just got a HDTV and some games seem blurry, ie GTAIV.

edit: Did a google and GTA IV seems to be blurry for everyone. I've changed the settings on 360 to 720p. See if that helps.

2nd edit: I've tried all the settings and I think GTA IV is gonna be unplayable for me. The blur effect(I think from what I'm reading it's deliberateby Rockstar) is causing me to get motion sickness. Threw on burnout revenge and it looks absolutely incredible. Same goes for Stranglehold.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

In relation to GTA4, I was playing it initially on a SD television and the display was OK to play with. Just needed to up the brightness to get a good picture.
    Then I hooked it up to my 19' TFT using the VGA cable and the picture was absolutely amazing, no changes needed to correct the picture and no issues with shading etc.
    Finally I bought a Full HD tv last week and hooked up the 360 via HDMI cable (and also VGA cable) on 1080p and lo and behold, the orange haze and darkness issues that everyone wrote about previously in these forums was totally apparent.
    It seems that this game just displays diffferently depending on the screen you have.

As for HDMI, its neat and tidy, and will make your other games look like a Saturday morning fry-up after a heavy session the night before:D

Don't let GTA4's misgivings taint your mind against the quality that can be achieved from other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

As far as i can tell the only main difference between the standard HD cables and a HDMI is that hdmi will support up to 1080p (if your tv supports it) as opposed to 1080i. Also it is much tidier as its a single cable. You can use any standard HDMI cable but rather annoyingly unless you get the optical adapter you can't use surround sound (as the original optical/hd cable is too chunky and blocks the hdmi cable from getting to its port) unless your amp supports hdmi sound output

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

grimm2005 wrote: »
    As far as i can tell the only main difference between the standard HD cables and a HDMI is that hdmi will support up to 1080p (if your tv supports it) as opposed to 1080i. Also it is much tidier as its a single cable. You can use any standard HDMI cable but rather annoyingly unless you get the optical adapter you can't use surround sound (as the original optical/hd cable is too chunky and blocks the hdmi cable from getting to its port) unless your amp supports hdmi sound output
    Component will do 1080p no issiues, although HDMI is digital so could in theory have better quality, but I've found the 360 Component cable does the job grand

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

After starting with a scart on a SD set with a xbox, then upgrading to a 32' HD ready set with component, and then to HDMI on the HD 32' didn't notice a jot of a difference between component and HDMI.

Recently upgraded to a 42' full HD set and am using a HDMI cable. I contrasted with the component cable and the HDMI and honestly didn't see a huge, if any, difference.

Advertisement