Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marc Wilson

• 11-07-2008 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

Marc Wilson has just signed a new three year deal at Pompey.

Thought you may be interested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/7495560.stm
    Portsmouth utility player Marc Wilson has signed a new three-year deal with the club.

The 20-year-old Irishman is yet to appear for the Pompey first team, but has enjoyed loan spells at Luton, Bournemouth and Yeovil.

Wilson started life as a midfielder, but has recently converted into a central defender.

Wilson said: "The plan is to push on and break into the first team. I'd love to play European football."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Any use? Has he played underage for us?

20 and hasn't made an appearance. Hmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Any use? Has he played underage for us?

20 and hasn't made an appearance. Hmmmm....

I think he has played under 21, or was selected to. He is one of the guys who although from the north wants to play for the republic team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

A few years back he was a regular FM manager signing, always turned into a really good player and one id bring into the Ireland set-up when national manager, but he seemed to not be as good recently. Did he get a serious injury or was it just him changing position that ment less notice was taken of him as he redeveloped? a new CB is exactley what we need, Dunne is calling out for a CB partner ans Given for a good defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Apparantly he has been one of the outstanding players in the reserves where he has been playing CB. Lets face it, if he wants to stick in that position he has some good mentors. Tony Adams takes care of the defenders and with Sol Campbell, Sylvain Distin and Linvoy Primus has some wise experienced heads around him.

Could we be the new sunderland :D

From the official site http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/index.php?cms_id=78&qs_articleid=1325&qs_media=html
    Marc Wilson has put pun to paper on a three-year deal that will keep him at Pompey until 2011.

The 20-year old has yet to make an appearance in the Blues’ first-team but has played regularly in loan spells at Luton, Bournemouth and Yeovil.

Last season he wore the captain’s armband for several of Pompey’s reserve matches and was named young-player-of-the-season at Pompey’s awards ceremony in May.

And now he is targeting a step up to the senior side as Pompey challenge on four fronts next season.

The Blues will be competing in the Premier League and Carling Cup – as well as looking to defend the FA Cup they won at Wembley in May and impress in their debut season in the UEFA Cup.

“I’ve just got to work hard in pre-season and see where it goes from there,” said Wilson. “But the plan is to push on and hopefully break into the first team.

“First of all I’d just love to play football, but Europe would be an even bigger step and would be amazing.

“I’m so happy to still be here. Everyone who came through the youth ranks with me has gone – I’ve seen many friends come and go so I’m delighted to be here for another three years.

“Football can be a cruel game – that’s a harsh reality – so I’ve got to keep on working hard and do the best that I can do.”

Wilson, who was born in Northern Ireland but has represented the Republic all the way up to under-21 level, has credited Harry Redknapp for Pompey’s amazing progress in the last few years.

And he admits that he still finds it hard to believe just how far the Blues have evolved.

He said: “The club’s changed massively, especially in the last two years. When I first came here the club was completely different.

“Everything seems to be going well at the moment and Harry’s a big part of that. He’s a good manager and is great with the players. He’s an absolute character.”

Wilson’s versatility could prove to be a useful asset if he does make the step up to first team football next season.

He arrived at the club as a midfielder but played mostly as a centre-back for the reserves last term.

And with legendary defender Tony Adams assisting Redknapp at Pompey, he could not have a better teacher if he is to continue in defence.

“I came here as a midfielder but to be honest I prefer playing in defence now,” said Wilson.

“I’ve always admired Tony. He was a great player and he’s a good coach now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Redknapp chose him as Pompey's young player of the season just gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t2mDCekeb4

He could learn a few interview techniques. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Nice one, there's some hope now that we've a McShane replacement in the wings... And no better place than pompey if you're looking for some experienced heads to mentor you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,850 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

simonw wrote: »
    Nice one, there's some hope now that we've a McShane replacement in the wings... And no better place than pompey if you're looking for some experienced heads to mentor you

Pa McCarthy should be ahead of McShane anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Trilla wrote: »
    Pa McCarthy should be ahead of McShane anyway
    McShane was tremendous in the Championship with Brighton. He's not been too bad at international level. At least Trap doesn't think so if he rates him as our best centre half to partner Dunne.

Advertisement