Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Gear advice thread!

Options
  • 11-07-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

hi guys, another gear and general advice request needed. (soz!!)

i consider my hunter my main now and although we get a lot of stick this is the msot fun i have had in wow for a long time.

so the guild im in is small enough, about 25 members, with about 10 or so regulars on every night.

we just started kara last week, and as it was our first time, there was no gear requirement. we made it to the opera even but i had to leave and they ended up calling it a night then anyways.

we havent gone back and atm the plan is to raid one night a week, sunday evenings.

everyone is just concentrating on gearing up atm, which is cool.

i have the merc shoulders, merc chest and i chose the bracers i thought were slightly better for pve.

the rest of my gear is decent blues which im gonna replace piece by piece with the s2 gear.

im getting the gyro balanced khorium destroyer crafted by a guildy tonight so thats an upgrade on my bow.

the problem is i wanna do kara or other raids more than once a week. is this normal for a small enough guild to only do kara once a week till people get better geared? when it comes to end game im a serious noob. i never thought raiding or even the 10 mans were for me but i really had a great time in kara! i have the bug!!

what should i do with regards to gear? is the s2 gear a good start for raiding? that was my plan, wear s2 gear till i get better gear from drops etc.

im really rambling on here so any end game gear advice and general hunter info would be more than appreciated.

thx guys.

btw if ur lookin on armory, toon name is copeshunt on laughing skull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Dellarocca

Just on the guild raiding thing.

We had a similar situation. We could just about manage to get a karazhan party together when we started. We started off saying we would only raid once to twice a week. But as we progressed further, we started to push ourselves to go more and more. Bad idea.

Set the days, but more importantly, set the time limit. Being tired and pushing for another boss will only end up with irritated people.

Eventually we were raiding about 5 nights a week and people got sick of it. It destroyed or enjoyment for raiding completely. Guild split in the end.

About gear, I wouldn't know. My hunter was brought throguh Karazhan once he tunred 70. Got the wolfslayer rifle from the Opera. If you are can get the the Opera, chances are you'll get the BBW more times then the others. He's an easy boss and i've seent he rifle drop loads of times. You should have it in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeh thats what our gl said when we got to opera, he hoped it was bbw and that he was easy. hopefully when we go next we will get the wolf and the rifle might drop.

there were 3 of us hunters the first week though! only 2 were guildies though.

and the other guildie has the merc bow so wont need the drop.

is the one dropped by the bbw much of an upgrade over the gyro khorium gun?

i think your right about getting burned out i would only be interested inr aiding maybe one week night and a sunday. with a few badge runs thrown in between.

is it true that the badge egar is fairly poor and that its only really good for 1 or 2 pieces and the trinkets and accessories?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

It all depends on what you want, ect...

For me 1 night raiding a week would not be enough. But im sure their are guilds like this on every server. If it suits you keep with it.

The s2 bow for 27k honor in BG's is very very good. And worth getting. I had the bow your on about made for me also and used it for a long long time till i got the S2 bow for arena points. It was a big upgrade i found.

As for BOJ gear, to be honest i must link you my hunter. My hunter is by far is the best PvE geared hunter on the horde compaired to other hunters with no T6. Some hunters with 2 or 3 pieces of T6 gear, my hunter is still better. But why is mine so good ? its cause the BOJ stuff u can get is great to be honest.

I do 458dps.. and around 27.5% crit i wish i had more crit, need T6 for this which i hope will come my way soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yup, id deffo reccomend the s2 bow+28crit scope.Dont waste yoru money on that gun, i had it for a while and its good and all, but not worth it, and for 870 arena points you can get the s3 axe( so 3 weeks in arena, or wait 5 weeks for the brutal gloves ). The quickest way to get the gear would be to pvp grind like mad for 2 weeks. Its pretty easy to gain 10k honor in a night, especially if your horde.

As for raiding thats up to you and the guild, find a balance between raidign and having some fun. Have seen a few guilds fall apart over stress from raiding.

*offtopic* BC how are you only putting out 458dps in that gear? Thats gotta be without pet yeah ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Also just thought id add, Just back from kara up to aran and then chess (prince is left, but the MT dosent want to push his luck leeching off the hospital wireless). And i blew the BM hunter out of the water ( from opera onwards ). Not by much, but by more then enough he's 4th). And he is in full t4 and pve epics. Im in full (if you can call it that) pvp s1/s2/s3 and a few pve items to give +agi. ( just to clarify Prince and aran left)

Im not trying to start an arguement, but This hunter is the class leader in my guild and knows his ****. And is amazed that i can out dps her, she can not explain it. Maybe at endgame 41/20 but at my spec im yet to find a hunter that can out dps me(maybe im crap, or my realm, sorry were not t6 and endgame ). Even Badcharlie who is clearly in much better gear, ( i have played with this lad, at a lower level, and yes he is an awesome hunter) then i am (500dps or so). I can already dps 600-900....

From the screenshot i am in 2nd behind a full t5 (thats actually T5 and not S5, even though S5 is miles ahead ) fury warrior ( **** me this lad can do some damage !! )

xwqk3kopnbr49j0yoloq.jpg

[rant]

Oh wait i should pause for ivan and the "rest" to tell me im wrong once again, And i know nothing. To be honest im kinda fed up of hearing im **** at my spec, I'm obviously not. The top 4 guilds on my realm have accepted me...... VM,CS,NM,DOE. So whats the problem? im not the normal spec... LOL who gives a ****? I obviously try so hard i make a difference....

[/rant]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terenas&n=Dave

This is my hunter here. Pretty **** gear in fairness only thing going for him is that I saved up for that over powered badge bow that our pve hunters are using in sunwell at the moment. Saying that however he's not as bad as he was a month ago and is getting there.

Anyway I have no screenshots unfortunately and of course there is other variables like group buffs but I could confidently say I would do higher dps numbers then you mention using a 1:1 SS/Auto rotation. Over 1k on boss fights would not be uncommon.

http://wowwebstats.com/hgx5u25vvyml3?s=883-1231

here also is an example of the hunters in our guild on a solid bench marking fight at the top end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Anti wrote: »
    Also just thought id add, Just back from kara up to aran and then chess (prince is left, but the MT dosent want to push his luck leeching off the hospital wireless). And i blew the BM hunter out of the water ( from opera onwards ). Not by much, but by more then enough he's 4th). And he is in full t4 and pve epics. Im in full (if you can call it that) pvp s1/s2/s3 and a few pve items to give +agi. ( just to clarify Prince and aran left)

Im not trying to start an arguement, but This hunter is the class leader in my guild and knows his ****. And is amazed that i can out dps her, she can not explain it. Maybe at endgame 41/20 but at my spec im yet to find a hunter that can out dps me(maybe im crap, or my realm, sorry were not t6 and endgame ). Even Badcharlie who is clearly in much better gear, ( i have played with this lad, at a lower level, and yes he is an awesome hunter) then i am (500dps or so). I can already dps 600-900....

LOL that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

http://be.imba.hu/

Pretty handy site for seeing how well geared you are, and if you'll cut the mustard for a particular raid (my hunter just about hedges it for Kara:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Well you've kinda already answered your own question as regards gear. Keep ploughing away at the battlegrounds and stock up on S2 gear. Taken me a month of casual play to get full gladiator (mix of S1/S2) set plus S3 axe, bow plus boots. Missing the necklace, cloak, two rings and trinket but your more into pve so it generally wont matter too much. Its hard to predict what you should be spending the honour on as you could well buy the chest and then have it drop in Kara etc. Up to yourself. I usually get 1.2k per hour depending on wins etc.

Raiding Kara once a week is ridiculously low amount of runs for a raiding guild. Sure people do pug for the thing these days. When i was pve;ing the roster was monday, wednesday, Thursday or friday and sunday 18:00 - 00:00. Although we were Number1 or 2 guild on the server. Ive no idea what the routine is these days but i imagine its something similar. If you want to raid more try join a more active guild.

As for anti and his spec, well those who want to be top of the dps or healing meters will. Simply because it is in their mind to do so, they are completely focused on the meter. Whereas others are having a laugh, listening to music enjoying the game etc. Being top of the dps meter proves nothing only that you were trying to do so. Lashing the cooldowns up at every moment, buying +dmg pots etc whereas others are just auto shoting while making a cup of tea. I remember paladins healing themselves to be on top of the meter, hunters hitting beastial wrath, using their two trinket aim shoting a level 1 bug...

Remember Wow is a time grind. The more time you put in the better gear you will have. How much time you want to sink into it is up to yourself.

sorry i dont really be on here at the weekends, got the gun and put the +28 crit scope on it. only so i can grind away at gear instead of the long haul grind of getting 28k without spending it. (it burns a hole in my pocket, like cash irl, hehehe)

so were headin to kara 2moro, think it will have reset since last week, not too sure tbh!!

plan is to keep the gun for now and keep runnin kara and heroics.

whats the best buys from boj for hunters besides the bow (150 seems a lot)

think im gonna upgrade my rings next.

then start replacein blues with epics, then lastly if i havent had the bow drop in kara get the bow for honour or badges ;)

• Advertisement

BadCharlie wrote: »

As for BOJ gear, to be honest i must link you my hunter. .

can you link ur huntard ;)

Here he is
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alonsus&n=Muppetkiller

Depending on trinkets i have ect.. i do close to 460dps unbuffed. What i mean about this is just hold mouse over Damage on the web site i provided. I try and get this up as far as i can. And also my crit.

I output in Boss fights like in BT the last night over 1600dps. would do better only for looting cones from bodys :). Think i had to do it 4 times.

Anyways i hope i did not confuse people :)

Still need some T6 gear to be honest. will make my over all DPS go up for sure.

must have taken some amount of badges for that gear!!

whats the craic with repair bills costin so much even when u only have a few epics.

runnin heroics all day cost me about 50 gold+ from sloppy wipes!!

just checked my toon on be.imba and it says my best upgrades will come from kara and the caracter will perform best past kara in current gear. cool. hopefully ill be full epic soon (yes this game is a gear race)

Out of the 15 Items i have on their. Ya 6 of them come from BOJ.
    Around 600 BOJ maybe 650 in total for the 6 items.
    And then all my gems are epic which would be more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Anti wrote: »

From the screenshot i am in 2nd behind a full t5 (thats actually T5 and not S5, even though S5 is miles ahead ) fury warrior ( **** me this lad can do some damage !! )

[Screenshot removed cos jebus on a tricycle, its huge!]

[rant]

Oh wait i should pause for ivan and the "rest" to tell me im wrong once again, And i know nothing. To be honest im kinda fed up of hearing im **** at my spec, I'm obviously not. The top 4 guilds on my realm have accepted me...... VM,CS,NM,DOE. So whats the problem? im not the normal spec... LOL who gives a ****? I obviously try so hard i make a difference....

[/rant]
    Enough.

We get it, you play a different spec to everyone else. Great.
    We're done trying to educate you, but stop posting on every thread about hunters, the same old "rant" as you call it.

Everyone is allowed to play as they want, and you are no different to this.

BUT nobody said anything about you in this thread, people on these forums rarely mention you, but do immediately when they feel you've said something wrong. You havent said anything wrong in this thread, and hence no one has replied to you about your spec or otherwise. And yet you still found some imaginary reason to lose the plot.

So please, take a few moments to gather yourself and get a grip or I may be forced to give you a weeks holiday from these here forums. If you cant take peoples criticism of your spec, irregardless of whether its justified or not, then you need to learn pretty quick.

And for the record, no one said you are bad at your spec, just that your spec is bad.

ok ladies, lets calm it down and egt back ot
    :)

so kara was a disaster, our guild only has 1 healer and 1 ot so we eneded to bring 2 randomers.

got as far as attumen but with all the messing around and finding people when we started him the horses had respawned and we wiped.

the mt was kinda undergeared to be mt anyways and he started bitchin at the pug healer we had brought and we ended up leaving it.

i did get epic leather boots that had dropped from thrash before attumen, no one needed so me and another hunter rolled.

they were deffo an upgrade on what i already had.

tried heroic bm for the daily too and it was fail!!

i was expected to handle the adds by myself. on normal i can do it no problem but on hc it was a nightmare.

the fact the ehaler wouldnt heal my pet was a fukin joke. in between waves i had to revive pet, drink and eat, and catch the new adds before they attacked the dude u protect.

of all the heroics i have done that was the hardest by a mile

BM and SH are hard. Also that new "Terrace something" is not much fun.

Very important on these runs is have a good tank "tanks are the most important part of any raid i think". He wont take as much damage as others cause of his/her gear. And a good healer or an ok healer as long as tank is good can easy do these instances.

Also in BM having a pala tank is great. Infact having a pala tank is great in any instance. Im starting to get so used to pala's tanking for me when i get a warrior is like a shock to the system :)

And to your other question repair bills are high, but that would mean u need to wipe or die alot ? :) lucky for us hunters we have FD to stay alive...

To your kara, i would very much consider you get your self's another few healers and tanks. If you do not sort that problem out. U will find one or 2 members move to another guild. And what i can understand is that your guild is all ready very small.

yeh i know what u mean about pala tanks. aoe tanking in bm would have been far superior to the tank tanking the elite and me running around multi shotting adds!!

i was thinking of playing my warr again to gear him up but couldnt be arse considering wotlk is only around the corner and the thought of tanking with a 2 hander on a dk is keeping me eagerly awaiting the expansion.

yeh magisters terrace even on normal isnt great. pugged it a few times.

one of the times we had no cc except for my trap, which in 5 man pulls with a warr tanking = fail!!

especially if its parried ('_' )

with regards to kara, we have about 15 on looking to do kara, but its like 1 healer, 1 dps tank, 1 ot and the rest is dps.

we have a shadow priest which i think for the sake of the guild is a mistake.

she should be asked to respec to holy imo and oh the dpsers or something to gear up.

we have been running it with 3 healers, 1 heals mt, 1 heals ot and 1 heals dps group.

is that too many healers? i thought two would have been enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

copeyhagen wrote: »
    yeh i know what u mean about pala tanks. aoe tanking in bm would have been far superior to the tank tanking the elite and me running around multi shotting adds!!

i was thinking of playing my warr again to gear him up but couldnt be arse considering wotlk is only around the corner and the thought of tanking with a 2 hander on a dk is keeping me eagerly awaiting the expansion.

yeh magisters terrace even on normal isnt great. pugged it a few times.

one of the times we had no cc except for my trap, which in 5 man pulls with a warr tanking = fail!!

especially if its parried ('_' )

with regards to kara, we have about 15 on looking to do kara, but its like 1 healer, 1 dps tank, 1 ot and the rest is dps.

we have a shadow priest which i think for the sake of the guild is a mistake.

she should be asked to respec to holy imo and oh the dpsers or something to gear up.

we have been running it with 3 healers, 1 heals mt, 1 heals ot and 1 heals dps group.

is that too many healers? i thought two would have been enough.

Well unless you have other Shadow Priests I wouldnt ask the guy to respec, it's really nice to have a Shadow Priest in a 10 man raid, specially if you are struggling to progress. Mana battery FTW

And 2 healers can be enough for kara if they are geared well enough. But 3 is more normal for PUGs or new guilds

We always bring 3 healers to kara.
    Can be done with 2 but most have real good tank and healers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Kara can definately be done with 2 healers, we usually only use two right up to Aran and then bring in a thrid for the run up to prince. Never tried to finish with the 2 only but I'm fairly certain it could be done easily enough, we do have 2 very good tanks which help a lot, a pally and a warrior.

Moved on to ZA recently and were able to drop the first boss easily enough but the 2nd gave us problems for a good while until we finally downed him last night.

btw. having a shadow priest in your kara run makes life a whole lot easier, we only have one in the guild but its always great when he's there.

Advertisement