Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child proofing the house

Options
  • 11-07-2008 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me where I can get a protective surround for the base of the fire place...? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Do you mean a fireguard?

You can get fireguards and a wide variety of safety gadgets in Smyths and Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Smyths and argos have pretty much everything, mothercare have some good things too. Good luck with the baby proofing! My girl learned how to get by all those gadgets in about 2 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

deisemum wrote: »
    Do you mean a fireguard?
    A spark guard may also be useful, although probably not necessary if it is a gas fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Can anyone tell me where I can get a protective surround for the base of the fire place...? Thanks!

I think you mean to cover the marble base to keep little heads in one piece and save them time explaining in later life where the scar on their forehead came from?

You could try an upholsterer to see if they could make you a custom cushion to cover it. We used to put down cushions/pillows to cover hours.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anywhere that does fireplaces should do some of those metal rails to surround the fire. If not, try the bigger hardware stores. Theyre not safety products as such, but as mentioned above they cover over those sharp edges on the stone, which are like magnets to little heads. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

Hi
    Smyths do a rubber padding for the hearth. It's made by ClevaMama. I think I paid around 25 euro for it when my wee man first started rolling around.
    The only thing I will say is it was only used for about three months before we had to replace it with the proper child proof fireplace even though the fire hasn't been lit he is fascinated with it since he started crawling.
    Sulukie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

nc6000 wrote: »
    I think you mean to cover the marble base to keep little heads in one piece and save them time explaining in later life where the scar on their forehead came from?

You could try an upholsterer to see if they could make you a custom cushion to cover it. We used to put down cushions/pillows to cover hours.
    exactly, I need that more than a spark gard.Cant find it anywhere. I'll have a look again in Smyths.Thanks for all the replies!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Cheapest way I have found to babyproof a multitude of stuff is the foam insulation that plumbers use for pipes. Its around 70c a metre and can be used on most sharp edges or lengths such as TV stands, firplaces etc.

3-4+pipe_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

delly wrote: »
    Cheapest way I have found to babyproof a multitude of stuff is the foam insulation that plumbers use for pipes. Its around 70c a metre and can be used on most sharp edges or lengths such as TV stands, firplaces etc.

3-4+pipe_4.jpg

Does much of that rubber stuff get eaten? ;-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

di11on wrote: »
    Does much of that rubber stuff get eaten? ;-)

Yeah, that was a bit of a problem at the start alright :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement