Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Orange Box

• 11-07-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

What are people thoughts on the Orange box for the 360?
    Are the graphics strong, as in would they compare in any way to Halo 3 or GOW.
    I absolutley adored the original Half Life on the PC and am considering getting the orange box. I've heard that it plays well but am wary of a clunky dated looking game.

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why are you weary of dated graphics.

this is the problem these days with so many console owners, it's all about the graphics and not the gameplay/story.

i had more fun playing portal than i think i've ever had from any other game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Cremo wrote: »
    why are you weary of dated graphics.

this is the problem these days with so many console owners, it's all about the graphics and not the gameplay/story.

i had more fun playing portal than i think i've ever had from any other game.

Amen to that... I'd have paid the €70 just for Portal. Best game i've played in a long long long time...

As for the gfx. They're spot on in the other games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i might just add this as well

release dates:

Half-life 2 --- Nov 16, 2004

Halo --- Sept 25, 2007

Gears of war --- Nov 7, 2006

even if there's is a difference in graphics, there is a good 2 to 3 years between the releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

The graphics are fine, they applied the orange box to the updated source engine. Half Lifes enviroments are gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Well worth getting it, Great game(s) in the orange box!

Had already played HL2 on the PC, and played it thru again on the 360, class game and the graphics are as good.

Some great bits in HL2 episode 2!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

To answer OPs Q though, the graphics on Orange Box are slightly behind Halo/Cod4 etc and Half Life 2 ran much better looking on my PC but none of this matters as The Orange Box is excellent in every possible respect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Orange Box is fantastic, and even if it does lack technically (but to be honest, still looks impressive) it is all down to art design and what they do with the engine. Half-Life 2 (and the more technically accomplished Episode 2) and Team Fortress 2 are both triumphs of atmosphere and immersion. And if you haven't played Portal, you owe it to yourself to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rustydrog

I didnt say i was "weary" of dated graphics, just wary of a game that looked dated is all. Thats not a crime surely.
    Anyway i picked up the Orange Box at the weekend and its fantastic, you forget how much fun it can be to use your brain in an FPS compared to the simplified "find switch, flick switch" elements of the gameplay in Halo, GOW and COD4 (in one player mode)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

rustydrog wrote:
    I didnt say i was "weary" of dated graphics, just wary of a game that looked dated is all. Thats not a crime surely.
    Not a crime but as shallow as your average puddle. No game will ever look good enough to trick you into thinking you're there, it'll just make things look cool. Gameplay is the most important thing to consider.
    Luckily, as I'm sure you're finding out, the orange box has gameplay by the bucket load and the source engine is pretty slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

thought the gfx were fine, still a great game, portal is good very tedious haven't played it for a while through fear of putting the controller through the telly!
    i had it on pc also had more trouble than it was worrth (i'd ad at this point its a fairly new one) and struggled with the processing.

TF2 is a great game as well,

well worth the money IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I wouldn't describe portal as tedious.

Its a lot of fun, I found the puzzles a little easy though. It only becomes challenging near the end and even then it usually only takes a few minutes to work out what to do. Great game though!

As is the whole set in the box. HL is my favourite game series though so I'm slightly biased in that I have all the HL games with expansion packs and HL2 on Pc and the Orange Box. I just can't get enough of the series! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

unklerosco wrote: »
    Amen to that... I'd have paid the €70 just for Portal. Best game i've played in a long long long time...

As for the gfx. They're spot on in the other games

i am not a HL fan but i bought it for portal and it is one of the few games i have finished in the last few years, immensely enjoyable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Jesus Half Life 2 & Episode 2 are two of the finest, cleverest and most enjoyable games of the last few years. Get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Justlikemike

Still the best gaming package you can buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Still the best gaming package you can buy.

+1

It would be great if you there was a Gordon Freeman skin in Left 4 Dead as a bonus. Wouldnt mind crowbarring some Zombies.

Advertisement