Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house via taxi

Options
  • 11-07-2008 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

How would this go down with Mr. Taxi Driver?

I'm moving from an apartment I share with a friend into a house share. It's only from Portmarnock to Clontarf and I only have a bedroom and a bathroom to empty.

Would I be able to rent a 7-seater taxi and cram it with all my suitcases full of stuff? Or would this be not allowed?

Any alternatives?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lilee wrote: »
    Any alternatives?

Hire a removal company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

A taximan will rob you blind because of all the stuff.he will charge them as extras!no way!
    has to be somebody you no???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Lilee wrote: »
    How would this go down with Mr. Taxi Driver?

I'm moving from an apartment I share with a friend into a house share. It's only from Portmarnock to Clontarf and I only have a bedroom and a bathroom to empty.

Would I be able to rent a 7-seater taxi and cram it with all my suitcases full of stuff? Or would this be not allowed?

Any alternatives?

why not rent a car for the day (providing you can drive)...that way you can do as many trips back and forward as you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

This lad is on these boards : http://www.vantasks.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

most taxis would be grand. ask him if he wouldn't mind leaving the meter running while you put your bags in, and I'm sure you will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Lilee

jon1981 wrote: »
    why not rent a car for the day (providing you can drive)...that way you can do as many trips back and forward as you need

Sorry - I did mean to elaborate on this in the original post. I can drive, but i'm only 22 and all hire places charge an extortionate amount for me to rent a car [we're talking €100 for 1 day for the most basic of cars] so realistically, it's not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Wouldn't hurt to send a pm to Vantasks guy ( Cormie ) ? http://boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=19234

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    most taxis would be grand. ask him if he wouldn't mind leaving the meter running while you put your bags in, and I'm sure you will be fine.

Your recon? Grand. So long as I get the majority of the stuff over in the taxi, I can always take any little bits and pieces I couldn't fit/didn't have anything left to pack them into over on the DART. Should be grand.

bushy... wrote: »
    This lad is on these boards : http://www.vantasks.ie/

Ooh thanks - i've just aplied for a quote on the website there.

I certainly wouldnt use a taxi as im very sure they will well over charge you with extras and and everything else they can!:cool:

• Advertisement

dubman25 wrote: »
    I certainly wouldnt use a taxi as im very sure they will well over charge you with extras and and everything else they can!:cool:

I don't doubt they will! A normal taxi between the two addresses would come in at around €20. So I figured it would come in at around the €50 mark with all the luggage.

Would I need to inform them in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can taxis actually legally carry cargo to that degree?

dudara wrote: »
    Can taxis actually legally carry cargo to that degree?

I'm not sure...but i'd say the amount of stuff I have would probs equate to a family of 5 going on holiday for 2 weeks. I'll have one bedside cabinet to move, and say 5/6 suitcases full of stuff. Maybe a black bin-liner or two of odd bits and bobs, and 2 crates full of books etc. [crates were old ones Tesco delivered with and never collected - for idea of size].

I'm gonna try take some stuff over this weekend on the DART. So see if I can get the load down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Well one way to look at it is

How much would it cost to get a removal van?
    How much is the normal taxi fare?

Then offer somewhere in between the two, there are no extras applicable to luggage but most taxi drivers wouldn't do house removals for the standard fare ( and I don't blame them, would you!! ) also don't be expecting too much help loading/unloading, taximen don't get paid for being off work if they put their back out lifting heavy boxes/furniture etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fret_wimp

from someone who has been through this I urge you to hire a van or get friends to help. even with friends helping me with my last move it took about 4 car journeys. you will end up paying a taxi man 150-200 easily for this, no kidding.

it may seem like a big cost to hire a big van for one run, but it will be cheaper in the long run and illeviate a lot of hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

fret_wimp wrote: »
    from someone who has been through this I urge you to hire a van or get friends to help. even with friends helping me with my last move it took about 4 car journeys. you will end up paying a taxi man 150-200 easily for this, no kidding.

it may seem like a big cost to hire a big van for one run, but it will be cheaper in the long run and illeviate a lot of hassle

+1

Agree agree agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I did this years ago and there was a "moving house" charge, believe it or not.

Yer man let me off, but it may still be in place.

The other posters are right though, ask some friends/family to help you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jamar

Get a local paper and look for the ad for the 'man with a van'.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Have a look in the buy and sell of evening Herald trader section and get a man with a van.

You have no guarantee with getting a taxi that you will fit everything into it, it is only designed to carry a certain amount of cases.

As for the taxi driver ripping you off, well they can only charge you for wait time and not the amount of stuff you load into their car, but bear in mind, that taxi's are for people and not an accumulation of possessions, you need a van.

Best of luck with the move,.

B
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I moved from Lucan to Portmarnock this way a few years ago, and I agreed a cash fare with the taxi beforehand, which was €50. That was two years ago to be precise, so enquire from them first how much it would be. The booking office had quoted me the cash price. They said the removal fair was circa €50-60.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

www.vantasks.ie

A few others have recommended him, he'll sort you out

Guys, thanks for all the input. I've been on to a couple of taxi companys and have had a few quotes. Went for one for €55. Not bad at all. That's all inclusive of all the cases etc and the time to load it up n'all that lark. I'm quite impressed. I thought it might be double that yet!

Cheers for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kersti

I hired a cab to take the last two loads of stuff from my old apartment to my new one - and I told them when I booked it that that's what I wanted. The guy was lovely, he even helped me to take my stuff up three flights of stairs into the new apartment which I did not expect at all. He was so lovely that I gave him a 20 euro tip for his troubles and the next day I found 10 euro plus a note saying 20 was far too much in my letterbox!

If you give plenty of notice and be really gracious you may well get help, but don't expect more than the lift itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

I did this before too. I moved most things by dragging them on the luas for a day and then got a taxi for the last bits, tv, couple of big boxes and other loose stuff. The guy was really nice and didnt charge me any extra for it. Yay for nice taxi drivers, sometimes they appreciate that people need a hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A taximan will rob you blind because of all the stuff.he will charge them as extras!no way! has to be somebody you no???
    Can you please you proper grammar and spacing? Its not fair on people who have reading problems.

There are no extras for luggage. That said normal fares are not designed for house moving.

Victor wrote: »
    Can you please you proper grammar and spacing? Its not fair on people who have reading problems.

There are no extras for luggage. That said normal fares are not designed for house moving.
    Grammar :D.check out what you just wrote....!what are you talking about when you say "normal fares are not designed for house moving"????I always taught a taxi drivers job was different every day and that they didnt have a specific fare or what you call normal!A taxi driver is to provide a everyday service not a pick and choose like going to tesco and not helping somebody move house!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Grammar :D.check out what you just wrote....!what are you talking about when you say "normal fares are not designed for house moving"????I always taught a taxi drivers job was different every day and that they didnt have a specific fare or what you call normal!A taxi driver is to provide a everyday service not a pick and choose like going to tesco and not helping somebody move house!

I don't think you quite get the idea of taxi driving, you pick up a fare, take them from A to B, get paid.
    It's not normaly considered as go to an address, load up back of taxi with TV, Cabinets, Suitcases, Boxes etc., take from A to B, unload said items. Get paid the same as if picking up a fare off the street and going the same route ( plus a 2 euro callout fee )

As i said before find out how much a removal van/white van whatever costs then pay a reasonable rate to the taxi driver...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

This guy was an absolute legend.
    A few Boardsies have used him and he won't charge you the earth either
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054945605

Advertisement