Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL school of architecture

• 11-07-2008 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

hey im starting 4th year in september in a post primary school. i was just wondering what are the points requirements for the university of limerick school of architecture. if it is around the 500 mark will there be a portfolio and interview stage worth around 100 points and if so does this mean that i would only have to reach the 400 mark if it was a 500 point course?? please let me know as i am looking to pursue a career in architecture and wish to study in UL as it is practically at my door step. also i would like to start building a portfolio on TY and would like to know what it should contain. i would like to focus on Georgian buildings and if i was to submit a portfolio with just these could i lose points for being narrow minded and only working on the one type or do i have to work on everything??

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

I was at the open day today and got everything on a sheet that was needed for the portfolio. I'm in 5th year now and I'm starting soon. You need to have photography, drawings, paintings, visual media, anything artistic but NO T.D or D.C.G drawings. They are not allowed. I'm posting on this thread to bring it forward. Is there anyone on this doing Architecture in U.L and what are the general thoughts you have on it. Also to RHunce, there is a portfolio, no interview. It is roughly 510 points. The portfolio stabalises you a place in U.l if you get the points but it does not give you points. This is only the case in D.I.T!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I was at the open day today and got everything on a sheet that was needed for the portfolio. I'm in 5th year now and I'm starting soon. You need to have photography, drawings, paintings, visual media, anything artistic but NO T.D or D.C.G drawings. They are not allowed. I'm posting on this thread to bring it forward. Is there anyone on this doing Architecture in U.L and what are the general thoughts you have on it. Also to RHunce, there is a portfolio, no interview. It is roughly 510 points. The portfolio stabalises you a place in U.l if you get the points but it does not give you points. This is only the case in D.I.T!!!

I have a friend doing architecture (sorry for bringing this post up, just found it). Be prepared for many nights of very little sleep. Lots and lots and lots of pain :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There are more hours in this course than in the average managing director's working week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

The hours for this are dreadful. Be prepared to devote your college life to it from day one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Ah the hours are long but it's fine..be suprised how much fun you can have in there. Music blasting, footballs flying around, constant breaks, with all your friends..not that bad really! It's just when it gets to 5am and everything goes crazy that it's not fun.

If you're good at getting the head down and working away you can be out of there by 5pm 95% of nights, it's just people who procrastinate end up in the studio until all hours.

Also get to go abroad a few times a year on strudy trips which are great fun.

Don't be deterred by something like long hours. That will get to you only if you don't like the course, in which case things are bound to put you off it. It takes dedication and alot of effort, but if you like the work it's fine and there are lots of positive upsides.

• Advertisement
Advertisement