Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IIS: Anon access allowed but still being asked to log in?

Options
  • 11-07-2008 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

In a vein attempt to password protect a website this afternoon, I've somehow managed to f**k it up completely. I went into IIS6 and in the properties for the website (xxx.xxxxxxx.com) I went into directory security and unchecked anonymous access. I then set myself up as a user. trying to access xxx.xxxxx.com, I was asked for the name and password. Lovely. However, I then had problems with the SQL server connection on the server. After some fruitless hours of trying to fix that, I decided just to undo my changes before I left for the weekend.

However, even after re-checking the anonymous access box and restarting the machine, the webservice and the webserver (in reverse order) I'm still being asked to log in. The weird thing is hanging off xxx.xxxxx.com is a virtual folder /thing and I can access xxx.xxxxx.com/thing no bother at all.

I suspect it's a permissions issue on the folder the website is pointing to, but if that was the case, wouldn't I get normal access (no log in required) and then be given a 404 or a 403 or whatever?

It's a classic ASP site if that makes any diff (so no web config)

Advertisement