Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB prices hikes 17% now and January

Options
  • 11-07-2008 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Batten down the hatches or at lest turn off the lights, the regulator has once again tried and heroicly failed to wave through a request to jack-up prices.

Two tranches - in 3 weeks and January :(

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It's a joke, sooner some competition comes the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Meh, my bill have never topped €90.

In fact, much of it is made of fixed costs like standing charges and VAT so it's not realy worth being so careful.

Yes, my post will be ripped to shreds but the price of ESB is not a concern to all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

its fine for all the wasters who get huge bills as they will now make a point to turn things off more

.....they might even make a saving

but the poor people who are always very careful with how much esb they use will just have to fork out more then they used too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

burn down the esb stations and use them for fuel! however with the oil hike it had to come. I just dont see why oil goes up in price :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It's a joke, sooner some competition comes the better.

Competition is here (Airtricity have announced their re-launch into the domestic market: http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0709/airtricity.html) but they'll probably just follow the ESB tbh.

Elec prices have gone up by 30% in the UK already... was only a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Not as if its cheap right now anyway.:( Why is it that the price never seems to go so vastly down during the boom times?

Still, at least were not in South Africa where week long power outages are the norm now as the electricity companys sell power across the border and dont have enough to maintain a full supply to their own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This will make the economic downturn that bit deeper. I spent most of last winter in the dark as it was.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    This will make the economic downturn that bit deeper. I spent most of last winter in the dark as it was.

Mike.

sure will... and businesses will be hit hard and will probably pass on the increase to customers.... it's like a double whammy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Even worse if you're on gas - rumours of a 35%-40% price increase there according to RTE News URL="http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0711/esb.html"]link[/URL.

Cheers, I might as well kill myself now, or move to Spain/Greece

Mike.

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Competition is here (Airtricity have announced their re-launch into the domestic market: http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0709/airtricity.html) but they'll probably just follow the ESB tbh.
    But will I be able to get it where I live ?

This country will be brought to it's knees not too long, no thanks to the government either.

But will I be able to get it where I live ?

This country will be brought to it's knees not too long, no thanks to the government either.

You can signup for airtricity with ease.
    Are you currently with ESB?
    You don't change meters / cables etc... All you do is contact them and organise a contract. The process may take a few weeks, but then Airtricity will be billing you, and not the ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

What do people expect? The era of cheap energy is over and everyone worldwide have to live with the consequences.
    Companies suck up all the increased cost of energy and go out of business
    OR
    Pass on increase to customer and continue to make profit?

At least ESB are taking 300M charge to keep potential increase smaller than projected 30%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

I wouldnt count on Airtricity.
    Airtricity will probably be more expensive than ESB.
    They just count on your conscience to allow them to gouge you instead of the esb

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I wouldnt count on Airtricity.
    Airtricity will probably be more expensive than ESB.
    They just count on your conscience to allow them to gouge you instead of the esb

+1

Last figure i heard was 10% dearer than ESB

What do Airtricity charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What do Airtricity charge ?

Arm+Leg+vat @ 13.5%

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Arm+Leg+vat @ 13.5%

nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

I might just be a cynic here....but maybe its a very clever way of the Goverment to grab some extra revenue from VAT...given the state is already down by €560 big ones in the area of VAT recipets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

In the UK and you pay by direct debit you can avail of discounts to your bill. Here you get put into a fecking prize draw! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Might be all worth getting one of these http://www.ecologics.ie/online-store/

I got one last week and its piss easy install and your be surprised as hell what uses the most power, makes it VERY easy to track whats been left on and makes you aware of stuff you just don't need on

More info from offical website, but if your buying buy from link above - http://www.efergy.com/en/

Scottie99 wrote: »
    In the UK and you pay by direct debit you can avail of discounts to your bill. Here you get put into a fecking prize draw! :mad:
    Ye, or extra charges for not payin DD, not related to esb tho
    Clytus wrote: »
    I might just be a cynic here....but maybe its a very clever way of the Goverment to grab some extra revenue from VAT...given the state is already down by €560 big ones in the area of VAT recipets.

The government don't decide the increase its the energy regulator

davton wrote: »

The government don't decide the increase its the energy regulator
    Energy regulator= Quango????

This was mentioned on radio today, it was suggested that the government could tweak matters so VAT was paid on part of a unit to give some relief. Dunno how legal that would be under EU law.

Mike.

Energy regulator= Quango????

Well stuff like this is always going to have this question of doubt behind it. Not much can really be said unless on the inside I guess, but for the basic answer we have the CER to deal with this an independent.. or so were told anyway

Im sure like every business in this country Board Gas and the ESb have been forced to absorb material cost increases....but it would be interesting to see to what level.

Wrong

Ye well i suppose the refund of 3/4 of the profits is some sort of relief. Its like the 6million dollar question, how will anyone know the right percentage. Have to best work on figures we hear, published etc. I think it was obvious that an increase was on the cards, every business that uses fuel has increased. Has anyone done investigation for the fuel surcharges of airlines etc did they actually merit the amount they increased

Scottie99 wrote: »

Wrong

Want to expand a little? Three ireland is one example, their is a €4.50 charge for not paying by DD
    If you don't have a bank account you can pay by postal order. They're similar to cheques and you can buy them at any An Post. You'll be charged a €4.50 fee each month if you pay by postal order.
    I think Ntl had something similar, but might have changed it again cant remember. Bit of thread topic anyway.

• Advertisement

davton wrote: »
    Want to expand a little? Three ireland is one example, their is a €4.50 charge for not paying by DD

The discount is given as an encouragement to pay direct debit. If you don't its just the bog standard bill and no extra charges are added. If I remember correctly UPC here charge for non D.D.

I can't remember off hand what the discount is but I'll try and contact family and edit later.

EDIT- picked this off British Gas website

° Monthly Direct Debit £57 Discount Gas customers paying by Monthly Direct Debit will receive a discount off their quarterly consumption charges of 10.3%, up to a maximum of £16.89 (including VAT) per quarter. Based on average annual gas consumption of 20,500 kWh as at 8th May 2008, is rounded and includes VAT at 5%. Discount received varies according to seasonal consumption.Subject to status, and not having an overdue gas account.

Advertisement