Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Cycle Helmets and fluorescent PPE be made cumpulsory by law?.

Options
  • 11-07-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

In the near future we are going to have a flood of thousands of "born again" cyclists in our capital with the introduction of the JC Decaux bicycles.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0211/planning.html?rss Many commuters may have not cycled a bicycle for years and would be totally inexperienced with modern Dublin traffic. Australia has already a mandatory cycle helmet law.

In Paris the amount of cycle deaths have dramatically increased since they introduced the Decaux bicycle. Should the government fast track new law for the mandatory use of cycle helmets and fluorescent ppe before these rental bikes are introduced?

Should Cycle helmets and fluorescent PPE be made cumpulsory by law? 90 votes

I think cycle helmets and fluorescent PPE should be manditory.
    0% 0 votes
    I wear a helmet anyway and think it would be a great idea. .
    8% 8 votes
    I wear a helmet and fluorescent top anyway.
    18% 17 votes
    They should lay off and leave Cyclists alone.
    14% 13 votes
    Atari Jaguire
    57% 52 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

No to both really. The bikes will be equipped with lights which are much better for visibility than fluorescent ppe. And helmets should still be personal choice. I'm familiar with a couple of the Paris accidents and having a helmet would not have made a damn bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Search the forum for the previous threads about helmets. Read the stats. Return with a factual, referenced post seeking debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Verb wrote: »
    Search the forum for the previous threads about helmets. Read the stats. Return with a factual, referenced post seeking debate.
    Facts on the Paris situation.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4289943.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

nooooooooooo.jpg
    ...to this thread as much as the question! (and learn how to spell while you're at it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

penexpers wrote: »
    The bikes will be equipped with lights which are much better for visibility than fluorescent ppe.
    I always encourage wearing hi-viz and reflective stuff.
    The hi-viz portions are visible by day when lights are useless.

The reflective stuff harnesses the power of vehicle lights, which is much more powerful than (most) bike lights. I realise that they are no substitute for lights when vehicles approach from the side.

Basically I would always have hi-viz/reflective gear all year around. I have lights when I expect to be out after dark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I wouldn't be against a health and safety course for cyclists tbh, especially if a lot of people decide to start commuting by bike who previously didn't. rules of the road, safety, road awareness, basic maintenance etc. Pay a small fee, which then gets put into a city cycling fund.It could be a useful feedback forum too, maybe with members having imput on how the budget should be spent. People with a cycling "licence" then get to use the new bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

There are no facts relevant to the effectiveness of helmets and high viz in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

no
    and
    no

your poll doesn't even provide an appropriate button for me to tick. i suppose you expect "They should lay off and leave Cyclists alone" to cover what you think some of us would say, but it really doesn't. how about "I am unconvinced of the efficacy (or acceptability) of the use legislation in the promotion of safe behaviour"?

the second two buttons are (more or less) irrelevant and the third is slightly petulant.

thought experiment: replace "helmet and ppe" with "condom", and "cycling" with "having sex" in this argument. do you come to the conclusion that legislation should be passed banning unsafe sex? after all, lives would be saved.

or do you see the issue more clearly? it's an issue of personal choice and responsibility.

there are many more specific counterarguments to this specific idea, but i don't see the point getting into them when i believe the underlying logic to this whole area of nannyish legislation is so flawed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

So, neither the original post or the article seem particularly useful to me...

First off, neither the post nor the article say whether the increase in cycle related accidents is greater than would be expected, given the increase in cyclists.

The post seems to assume it is, but the article says
    "The authorities are blaming the cyclists as well as the city’s notoriously aggressive drivers, although the overall accident rate has declined by 20 per cent. "

Did more people get hurt, or die, than would have been the case if the scheme wasn't introduced?
    In other words, perhaps more people got injured/killed cycling (which makes sense as there were more cyclists on the road), but less people overall got injured/killed, as there was a corresponding decrease in injuries from driving cars, as the people were using bikes instead?
    Ie, perhaps the overall injury rate could have went down? I'm not saying this is the case, but just that we need to see a figure for this as well as a figure for the cycling related accidents before it's useful.

So it's important to clarify, did the overall traffic injury rate go up or down? Was the increase in cycling accidents proportional to the increase in cyclists? I think it's a bit remiss of the article to not make these figures clear.
    In Paris the amount of cycle deaths have dramatically increased since they introduced the Decaux bicycle. Should the government fast track new law for the mandatory use of cycle helmets and fluorescent ppe before these rental bikes are introduced?

The next issue I have with the original post, is that it assumes that the way to solve any potential problems with inexperienced cyclists in dublin traffic is to give them high vis vests and helmets. This seems rather unlikely. If the scenario painted is correct, with loads of careless newbie cyclists blundering around the city centre, then helmets and high vis aren't going to help them very much, as their main threat will probably be getting run over by HGVs and hit by cars...

As others have said, you shouldn't just assume helmets and viz will help issues off the bat, as there's a lot of debate about it. (or at least, a lot of debate about helmets, I think being visible is generally considered to be a good thing!)

Asking if the government should fast track such a law, based on such specious logic, makes me wonder if perhaps the original post is just a troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I spoiled my vote because I thought that was the best idea.

This is an area which is more complicated than people like to think. And it can be made as complicated as quantum physics if you want it.

Basically, there's better and more effective things we can be doing than compelling ourselves to wear styrofoam on our heads and building site apparel on our backs (over the backpack or under the backpack???).

As a side note those new JC Decaux posters have been put up in the daftest, most dangerous of places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

First of all, the JC Decaux scheme isn't going to generate a flood of thousands of "born again" cyclists. While the Paris scheme introduced 16,000 bikes, the Dublin one will only involve 450.

As for being legally obliged to wear helmets, my instinct is to say no. As niceonetom said, it's an issue of personal responsibility. It's up to you to look after your own safety.

Having said that, there is legislative precedent for obliging people to take personal safety measures. For example, you can't drive without a seatbelt or ride a motorbike without a helmet.

You could say that this amounts to nannying by the state. But politicians often make laws not because they think they are right, but because voters often are clamouring for "something to be done". Road deaths are always big news. Just check out the papers after a bank holiday weekend.

Anyway, what's the point of making new laws for cyclists when most of the existing ones aren't enforced? Just go out on any winter evening and see the amount of people cycling without lights, breaking lights, cycling on the wrong side of the road etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As a side note those new JC Decaux posters have been put up in the daftest, most dangerous of places.
    Im sure that the company that is advertising on these offending bill boards are not complaining with all the media and photo attention they are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Any approach that focuses on only one group of road users is unlikely to ever address the real problems of road safety. Oblige all drivers to cycle for a month while all cyclists are obliged to drive during that time, and you might generate some empathy and understanding amongst all road users about the actual existence of other road users and the need for everyone to adhere to the same set of basic rules.

In the meantime, you may as well use the hi-viz vests to cover up the traffic lights, road traffic signs, etc. 'cos lots of people from the full range of road user groups already ignore them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The poll wording is loose and does not cover all the possible opinions. Legislation on seat belt use and motorcycle helmet use was probably driven by fatality statistics. My guess is few cyclist deaths would be prevented by helmet use. I believe wearing a helmet would probably be useful in a minor accident or fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

kincsem wrote: »
    My guess is few cyclist deaths would be prevented by helmet use. I believe wearing a helmet would probably be useful in a minor accident or fall.

Agreed... The only thing that mandatory helmet laws are proven to do is to reduce the number of cyclists on the road. Fewer cyclists on the road means that motorists get less used to copeing with cyclists, making the roads more dangerous for the remaining cyclists.

A good review of the supposed cycle helmet benefits from IMT 2004 by an Irish doctor.

http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/keating.htm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sorry for asking this, but, how exactly would a helmet have helped these people?...
    ...Three vélib riders have been crushed under the wheels of heavy vehicles...

And is this what you call facts?...
    However, the pedal boom has been attended by a jump in cycle deaths and injuries...

The authorities are blaming the cyclists as well as the city’s notoriously aggressive drivers, although the overall accident rate has declined by 20 per cent. Many accidents involve inexperienced riders or careless tourists.

A jump in "deaths and injuries", but a decline in the over all "accident" rate.

That looks like a contradiction to me.

In the near future we are going to have a flood of thousands of "born again" cyclists in our capital with the introduction of the JC Decaux bicycles.

With only 450 bikes in the bike rental system, I think thousands is a bit much. They wouldn't be on the road at the same time anyway.
    Many commuters may have not cycled a bicycle for years and would be totally inexperienced with modern Dublin traffic.

With the removal of a bulk of HGVs for at least most of the day, Dublin's roads may well be safer for cyclists.
    In Paris the amount of cycle deaths have dramatically increased since they introduced the Decaux bicycle.

Any stats to back that up?
    Should the government fast track new law for the mandatory use of cycle helmets and fluorescent ppe before these rental bikes are introduced?

How do you suggest that an automated street bike rental system (primarily but not solely aimed at tourists) and mandatory helmet and fluorescent clothing law could work side by side?

Install helmet and clothing dispensers as well???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

oh no not another can of worms...if people want to be safe let them be safe, if people want to cycle around wearibng all black leave them do that...its their life

Cabaal wrote: »
    oh no not another can of worms...if people want to be safe let them be safe, if people want to cycle around wearibng all black leave them do that...its their life
    Agree completely on the helmet being a personal choice thing but lights during the hours of darkness are a completely different matter; invisible cyclists are a danger to others as well as themselves. But we already have bike lighting laws, I don't think flourescents need to be made mandatory (indeed it is not for motorcyclists.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only way that it's fair to legislate (in reality) is if the safety measure will prevent deaths. If seat belts simply stopped you getting a sore head, there's no way they would be compulsory.

With that in mind, extract the cyclist deaths over the last few years and show what proportion of those people would have been saved by wearing a helmet.

Then perhaps you'll have a seedling of a debate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The OP hasn't been back since he started the thread so at this stage we're all practically arguing with no one.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    The OP hasn't been back since he started the thread so at this stage we're all practically arguing with no one.
    I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    I disagree.

No, tonto's right, you're wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

No, tonto's right, you're wrong :D

No, you are.:D

cyclists should all be licensed, registered, and neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. When you consider most of the accidents will be with drunk people cycling home from the nightclub, and 40 bicycles being thrown into the Liffey, lights won't do much (expect pinpoint where in the Liffey they are). Also, unless the tyres are made of kelver, I can see a further 40 abandoned at various points around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

seamus wrote: »
    With that in mind, extract the cyclist deaths over the last few years and show what proportion of those people would have been saved by wearing a helmet.

Then perhaps you'll have a seedling of a debate.
    Perhaps it also might also be interesting to see how many were killed because of wearing a helmet.

If you like being sideswiped by road vehicles... wear a helmet !

see http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/articles/releases/overtaking110906.html

yehuda-09.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Velib is awesome. I wholeheartedly support any implementation of such a scheme, and I'm against obligatory helmets and flourescent jackets. I always find drivers give me notably less room when I'm wearing a helmet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cabaal wrote: »

Oh, yes, another 'can of worms', if people want to talk about safety and cycling on the internet, let them talk about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

monument wrote: »
    A jump in "deaths and injuries", but a decline in the over all "accident" rate.

That looks like a contradiction to me.

No, it isn't, there has been an increase in the amount of Cycling Death and Injuries in the overall Accident Rate, however the overall Accident Rate itself has decreased.

Advertisement