Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is SV endorsing Binge Drinking?

Options
  • 11-07-2008 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭

I just saw this sign all over SV, I know the unmentionable is now but is this even legal?

11072008001.jpg

Health professionals quantify binge drinking as drinking more than 5 units (2.5 pints of beer or 3 glasses of wine) of alcohol at any one time. However, in a survey of 974 Irish people, most thought binge drinking involved having 10 or more drinks.

http://www.vhi.ie/news/n090707a.jsp

Is SV policy encouraging Binge Drinking? 43 votes

Yes....,
    0%
    No....,
    23%
    entropiRobertFosterCool_CMkelleHolstenThE_IVIAcIVIAIVMax_DamagemthdmookishboyAss 10 votes
    Maybe....,
    48%
    Mossy MonkdreginKaromaRobertFosterPompey MagnusJC 2K3Holstenfunk-youNightwishNewaglishbikoMax_DamageSusannahmiadfx-Dave DgreinekeenJimbomookishboyIlovebeard 21 votes
    WTF Zombies?
    27%
    RobertFosterSteve_oHolstenKnifeWRENCHMax_DamageGhostInTheRuinsdsmythystevecrow74Run_to_da_hillsmookishboyAsseiffeman 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

What is SV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Thrill wrote: »
    What is SV?

I'm going to go with super valu. Looks like their labels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

SV= South Vietnam?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The name of a very well known and big supermarket, who's name is abbreviated.
    What is SV?

*/ Mods: Can I name the store or is that a breach of the rules? */

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Maybe....,
    I refuse to accept that 2.5 pints is binge drinking. Even from a purely medical perspective, body weight and tolerance etc. comes into it.

Also, I would assume this is to prevent people from buying alcohol in a shop and then drinking on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I
    Also, I would assume this is to prevent people from buying alcohol in a shop and then drinking on the streets.

i would assume this is to ensure people buy more!!

I dropped in to buy some food and 2 cans to drink before I head out to the "Impromptu" drinks and lend up buys 6 cans since I could not just 2....
    taidghbaby wrote: »
    i would assume this is to ensure people buy more!!

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    I dropped in to buy some food and 2 cans to drink before I head out to the "Impromptu" drinks and lend up buys 6 cans since I could not just 2....
    mwahhahha..........my evil plan is working :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

taidghbaby wrote: »
    mwahhahha..........my evil plan is working :cool:

What plan? To get the nation drunk? Too late pal, we're already pissed:D.

What plan? To get the nation drunk? Too late pal, we're already pissed:D.
    :eek:

*stalker alert*
    *stalker alert*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Maybe....,
    Apparently they don't sell fags singally anymore.
    Looks like they're tring to encourage chain smoking aswell.
    The bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Irish logic, you gotta love it.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

They're promoting poor syntax. I'd say that's even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Who buys single bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Not to mention spelling ... "inconvienience"! :rolleyes:

That's the third time to-day I've seen that spelled incorrectly in signs (I'm not talking about a typo in a post, or something like that).

Other two times it was "inconvience"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Reminds me of a sign I saw at the newsagents in Tesco a couple of years ago. "Trollies are not prohibited".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

WTF Zombies?
    What is SV?
    Side Valve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Maybe....,
    Sluice Valve btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

WTF Zombies?
    Atari Jaguar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I would imagine its to stop 'patches the loveable but rowdy tramp' and such from buying single units. Or not. Fairly short sighted either way. Could just be a local judgement call....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

efla wrote: »
    I would imagine its to stop 'patches the loveable but rowdy tramp' and such from buying single units. Or not. Fairly short sighted either way. Could just be a local judgement call....

Or they could just tell patches to **** off - they sure as hell 'reserve the right to refuse admission'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Not to mention spelling ... "inconvienience"! :rolleyes:

That's the third time to-day I've seen that spelled incorrectly in signs (I'm not talking about a typo in a post, or something like that).

Other two times it was "inconvience"!

to-day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

WTF Zombies?
    2.5 pints is binge drinking??? Also going into Super Van and buying one bottle of beer is stupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Actually 5 units, is only 2 pints, or 2 glasses of wine.

Ridiculously, I tried to order a quadruple vodka red bull once, in a bar, and they said they can't sell more than a double in one glass (These are pussy 25ml english measures btw.)

They would of course give me it spread between 2 glasses, so all I could pour one into the other.

It wasn't in the Arms in Camden was it?

We tried ordering octalruple Vodkfas and was told the same bull, so had to order 4 doubles and an empty pint glass.....
    Blisterman wrote: »
    Actually 5 units, is only 2 pints, or 2 glasses of wine.

Ridiculously, I tried to order a quadruple vodka red bull once, in a bar, and they said they can't sell more than a double in one glass (These are pussy 25ml english measures btw.)

They would of course give me it spread between 2 glasses, so all I could pour one into the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe....,
    BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Health professionals quantify binge drinking as drinking more than 5 units (2.5 pints of beer or 3 glasses of wine) of alcohol at any one time. However, in a survey of 974 Irish people, most thought binge drinking involved having 10 or more drinks.

Just because you have to buy >3 cans does not mean you have to drink >3 cans that night.

Advertisement