Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I get maximum grant entitlements

Options
  • 11-07-2008 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

During my time as an undergrad I was on the basic grant of €3,300. I kept hearing of other people who were receiving the top-up grant or grants that were higher than that. I reckon I would have a good shout of getting these but when I look at the grants website there doesn's seem to be too much info on this subject.

I am a poor (verifiably), independent (according to their rules) mature student with a long-term illess which classifys me as disabled though not disabled enough to be on disability allowance, if ya get me.

Any advice?

Comments

Hi Flamed Diving,

The best information I can find on the 'top-up' grant is on citizensinformation.ie...
    Special rates of grants for disadvantaged students

Disadvantaged students who meet a number of conditions can qualify for special rates of grants.

Applicants must qualify for the ordinary maintenance grant for the academic year 2007/2008 and total reckonable income in the tax year January to December 2006 must not exceed €18,055 net of Child Dependant Allowances and standard exclusions.

For students, including mature students, who are assessed on parent(s)/guardian income, their parent(s)/guardian must, on 31 December 2006, have been:

* Claiming long-term social welfare payments, or
    * Claiming Family Income Supplement or
    * Participating in designated programmes (for example, a FÁS training programme).

For students who are assessed on their own income, on 31 December 2006, the student must have been receiving an eligible (long-term) social welfare payment (including long-term Jobseeker's Allowance) or Family Income Supplement or participating in a designated programme.

http://citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses/

Note that the above levels are for 2007/8 and that they haven't released the 2008/9 figures yet (for unknown reasons). But the above is how you would obtain the top-up grant!

Dónal

Advertisement