Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Facelifted 3 series

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If anyone has read JHMEG's link you will see that rather unfortunately it looks like only the 330d and 325d will offer CO2 improvements after all:o.

My apologies for talking up the 318i and 318d up last night, it was wishful thinking on my part. This is disappointing since they said earlier on in the year they were "confident" they could get the 318d to do 120 g/km or better. And not only that but yesterday they said that all models would offer emissions improvements too.

There will NOT be a 323d either based on what that link says.

The engine line up will remain unchanged bar the 330d, which pollutes 152 g/km, that means 20% VRT to you and me:)!

I think I know what engine anyone who likes cars and not badges will be buying:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance incorporates an oxidation catalyst placed just downstream of the exhaust manifold, a diesel particulates filter housed in the same unit and an SCR catalyst with AdBlue urea injection.

BMW has developed a two-tank AdBlue system for convenient use. The amount of AdBlue required in each case is injected from the active tank (approximately 1.6 gallons in volume) by means of a dosage pump. Since the urea solution would freeze at a temperature of 12.2°F, this active tank, as well as the dosage pipes, are heated.

The active tank is connected to a second reservoir, referred to as the passive tank. With its additional capacity of approximately 4.5 gallons, this passive tank offers a plentiful supply of the urea solution. The average range provided with this supply capacity is sufficient to have the tank system replenished only when the driver needs to change the engine oil.

AdBlue from the active tank is delivered to the dosing valve and atomized into the exhaust system. Consistent distribution of AdBlue within the flow of exhaust is ensured by the SCR mixer.

The SCR system is controlled by the engine management computer. A nitric oxide sensor downstream of the SCR catalyst provides feedback on the concentration of NOx in the exhaust emissions.

Since all BMWs sold in the US operate under the BMW Maintenance Program, the refilling of the AdBlue tanks will be a no-charge service for 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Due to packaging limitations in certain vehicles, the position and location of the AdBlue tank may be varied from one vehicle model to the other. In the BMW 335d, the active and passive tank are at the rear end of the car, while in the BMW X5 xDrive35d, the active tank is housed in the front right section of the engine compartment, and the passive tank is under-floor next to the transmission.

Yes it's well known at this stage that they will be using AdBlue. I remember the 2 of us having that very discussion on this forum a few months ago about AdBlue and I seem to remember you saying that pretty much every medium to large car would need it or some other after combustion treatment.

Fortunately BMW doesn't need AdBlue for Euro 5; the brand new 7 series diesels don't use it and neither does the facelifted 3 series.

Speaking of Euro 5, the 7 series and facelifted 3 series will 2 of the very first model ranges on sale with an all direct injection petrol line up that is Euro 5 compliant.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

E92 wrote: »
    If anyone has read JHMEG's link you will see that rather unfortunately it looks like only the 330d and 325d will offer CO2 improvements after all:o.

My apologies for talking up the 318i and 318d up last night, it was wishful thinking on my part. This is disappointing since they said earlier on in the year they were "confident" they could get the 318d to do 120 g/km or better.

the link is just the press release that I posted the info from on the 318s yesterday on the first page of the thread??

More interesting info here. Doesn't look like it'll be US Tier 2 Bin 5 depsite being Euro 5/6. :confused:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/07/bmw-3-series-re.html

• Advertisement

That's because as some guy who lives in America told us several weeks ago, with a user name that was all Roman numerals, they're after tightening the emission laws again in the US.

Originally as you know there were supposed to be 50 state diesels, but that was before the US had the decency to toughen up the laws again and try and effectively ban diesel.

That and the fact that Euro 6 diesels are only as clean as Euro 4 petrols for Nitrous Oxide as well.

Euro 6 diesels are still allowed to pollute 33% more NOx than Euro 5 petrols. Euro 5 diesels are allowed to pollute 2 1/4 times more NOx than Euro 5 petrols.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Will this facelift on top of the new pricelist since July 1st make much of a difference to the resale values of older BMWs I wonder? I've on 06 318i SE with 76,000 KM on it and am trying to estimate how much it will be worth in September 09 when the 3 year lease is up. I'm thinking of buying it if the price is right but may be better off in a new diesel and it's lower running costs (hoping that diesel prices become sensible again between now and then).

Any thoughts anyone?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nc6000 wrote: »
    (hoping that diesel prices become sensible again between now and then).

Any thoughts anyone?
    Diesel prices are only going to get worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

JHMEG wrote: »
    Diesel prices are only going to get worse...

Bad enough to cancel out the extra MPG over and above petrol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Anyone any idea when the new facelifted 3-series will be available in Ireland. It's due on sale in the UK on Sept 20th.

Joe Duffy aren't taking orders yet as they have limited information atm - I guess they're trying to shift the older models out before accepting orders for the newer model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Not a huge fan of either new or old, E46 model m sports were much nicer than the current sport versions. Not a fan of either version in standard spec. If i was pushed, i would say the pre facelift model was nicer than the new one though...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Anyone any idea when the new facelifted 3-series will be available in Ireland. It's due on sale in the UK on Sept 20th.

Joe Duffy aren't taking orders yet as they have limited information atm - I guess they're trying to shift the older models out before accepting orders for the newer model.

Dont understand why they only have limited info, if the first deliveries in the UK are mid/end Sept it should be no different here .Maybe you could try some of the other dealer to see what their info is.

BMW Ireland is a subsidiary of BMW GB, and hence we have the same launch dates as they do since BMW started importing the cars themselves.

Advertisement