Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So whats a games budget spent on ?

Options
  • 11-07-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Apparently game budgets are going up all the time, now a major game can have a budget of tens of millions, what is this money spent on, all I can think of is paying the wages of the developers ? it's not like a film where you have massive sets and vehicles to buy and huge transportation costs etc etc, am I missing something ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Paying the people making the game.
    Buying all the equipment needed to actually make a game, hardware and software.
    Advertising for the game.
    Paying any actors used in the game.
    Paying for sound recording to be done.

Probably way more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thefanman

With new technologies and better graphics and what add to the fact that ya have more cinematic games, hollywood and decent voice actors being used its only natural budget and prices go up.:mad:

The games industry is now worth more than films so its to b expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

40-60%> is spent on advertising
    5-10%> Licencing (which can jump to like 30% depending on the genre)
    5%< Voice Acting

Then the dregs are split amongst the people who actually create the game. Fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

look at the credits for crysis., you think all them guys did the project for nowt....?

I have just been playing bioshock lately on my xps laptop unbelievable.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Dont forget buying off websites a la kane and Lynch. That doesn't come cheap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement