Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tick-broadcast. ignoring offline bropadcast cpu #1 problem!!!!!!!!!

• 11-07-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭

im fairly new to open source os's and whatnot. ive been messing with a few different linux distro's for a while now.

now, i pretty much figure that this error means my cpu isnt working properly on boot? as i also get a critical temperature error. sometimes. 70degrees, sometimes 30.

anyways, i have been having loads of boot problems with this machine, and no os will run if the problem hits, it just reboots.

except fedora 9, which i installed yesterday. it seems to fight through the proiblem and actually help towards a solution, maybe...

so, being that im using a single core machine, would this mean that my cpu doesnt work for a sec on boot or what? my sys time and all that is ok. its def this old boot issue like. but its strange that im getting a critical temp error aswell.

so... what exactly does this error mean?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

i also get a critical temperature error. sometimes. 70degrees, sometimes 30.

anyways, i have been having loads of boot problems with this machine, and no os will run if the problem hits, it just reboots.

Really sounds like a hardware issue.
    except fedora 9, which i installed yesterday. it seems to fight through the proiblem and actually help towards a solution, maybe...

Been lucky so far, probably. If it is still running like a champ two weeks from now, then we can conclude the hardware is probably ok... but to really put it through its paces you'd have to rum memtest.
    so, being that im using a single core machine, wouldt this mean that my cpu doesnt work for a sec on boot or what?

Pretty much all linux kernels now are multi-core capable. Cpu0 is your normal cpu, if any more cores are found they will be 1, 2, 3 etc. so all that message is telling you is that you have a single core cpu, you know that already... nothing to worry about.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

hmm. yeah i know its hardware, i ruled out a software problem a long time go! its been running like this for ages. the problem hasnt really gotten better or worse. its just changed a bit.

all i really wanted to know is what this message means? ive googled it and ive gotten no help.

i realise it means the processor stopped. but im wondering is it normal? like, i get that some versions dont register other cores sometimes, but being that this is single core and its coming up #1 would that mean it thinks theres another core or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You have a single-core machine so there is no CPU 1. Just CPU 0.

If you are running an SMP-capable kernel (as most are now) then it will search for CPUs higher than zero, and fail, obviously.

Can you post the output of dmesg and /var/log/messages, you will probably need to switch to root for the latter.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement