Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOW - Irish Broadband WTF???

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You have the biggest bandwidth cock in the whole of the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭steve927

Well then i just got a hard on so coz:

295030589.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Jesus, that upload speed sucks balls. :eek:

That I was thinkin.
    Massive internet hard on. Teeny internet balls.

Jesus, that upload speed sucks balls. :eek:

Point is though that its a 1mb wireless connection, go figure:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pings are rubbish as well. Downloading on that connection would be fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

steve927 wrote: »
    Point is though that its a 1mb wireless connection, go figure:confused::confused::confused:
    Oh... then what are you posting here for?! Go download the entire internet before it changes back!
    Similar thing happened to me one time with Smart IIRC, I had an 8Mb connection for a few days... maybe they were trying to entice me to upgrade my package. (much like the penis enlargement spam emails I get every day)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

This is what I can't understand!
    When I asked here recently would IBB be increasing speeds for wireless customers as Digiweb did, I was told that the Alvarion system IBB use was not capable of higher speeds!!!
    If you can get a download speed like that then they must be.:confused:

The licence file given to the modem by the ISP dictates the maximum speed given.
    Its possible that they have either not restricted it yet because there hasn't been a bandwidth jam or that they raised the potential limit in cases of poor ping at the restricted speed file as a temporary solution to a lot of lost packets given the nature of the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Pity I'm not getting that.

295046569.png

• Advertisement

Thats why i posted here, you guys are knowledgeable on such matters. I'd love to know how i can keep those speeds coz it'd be sweet for the xbox live:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thats why i posted here, you guys are knowledgeable on such matters. I'd love to know how i can keep those speeds coz it'd be sweet for the xbox live:pac:
    Not really. Having lower pings would be much better for gaming.

Never restart your router in the event that they do restrict speed.
    Of course they can restart a batch of them remotely so that will only last so long. Also the lease will probably have a 48 hour max.
    I heard of a hack where someone had managed to see the file taken from the ISP, modified it, and managed to trick the router that the file he re-wrote was the valid one. I could never do it though.

Uh yeah. The ISP can dictate the speed given to the modem man, in terms of max theoretical bandwidth. Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

of course the ISP can dictate the speed given to the modem, but problem is IBB doesnt have a modem, and there is no license file.

ISP can allocate what ever speed the equipment can handle, but 9/10 they dont....

IBB are Dicks, they are doing trials and are testing speeds at the mo.

once they are happy with the service they will offer it at a premium price.....

shanemort wrote: »
    of course the ISP can dictate the speed given to the modem, but problem is IBB doesnt have a modem, and there is no license file.

ISP can allocate what ever speed the equipment can handle, but 9/10 they dont....

IBB are Dicks, they are doing trials and are testing speeds at the mo.

once they are happy with the service they will offer it at a premium price.....

No modem?
    IBB?
    As in IBB Ripwave IBB?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

IBB Ripwave........

I will give you €1000 if you can explain to me how you think a ripwave modem could actually reach a speed over 512kb

Fair point. Fair point. Fixed line DSL obviously. Was thinking back to me days with me Chorus cable modem and their hilarious differance in speed depending on the day and the amount of complaining our area did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

IBB Ripwave........

I will give you €1000 if you can explain to me how you think a ripwave modem could actually reach a speed over 512kb

1mb ripwave

http://www.irishbroadband.com/products_display.php?id=8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

lmao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

them pings on the first page are terrible... cudnt do online gamin wit anythin over 100 anyway.

jus did this test there now

295070527.png

ping is normally better.. around 27 to 36

lmao

i = are fail.
    :(

turf wrote: »
    them pings on the first page are terrible... cudnt do online gamin wit anythin over 100 anyway.

jus did this test there now

295070527.png

ping is normally better.. around 27 to 36

Jealous:(

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

IBB Ripwave........

Where do I claim my €1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Youre not alone, I've noticed a speed increase in the past few hours too.

I'm only on the 512k package and I have never gotten speeds like this before with IBB. This is about 3 times faster than I ever remember seeing it :

295112391.png

I'm changing to NTL in a few weeks anyway, but hey...

Jealous:(

are you jealous cause i can download a movie in 6 mins.. or are you jealous that an album is less than one minute? :P

edit: jus checked, my ping is at 34 now.. upc really came through with their galway line now. crazy speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I don't know what happened to our IBB connection in the last week or so....

295981614.png

Advertisement