Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer getting cut back and rushed out

Options
  • 11-07-2008 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭

Well so much for the game will be done when it's done :rolleyes: Cutting out 4 classes and 4 capital cites to meet a deadline is just bull****.

http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?GAME=239&FEATURE=2041&bhcp=1

I guess its easier to do an SoE and rush out the game to make a quick buick than follow in the footsteps of Blizzard and releasing the game when its ready :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

They handed the future #1 title to Age of Conan...good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Zarbon wrote: »
    They handed the future #1 title to Age of Conan...good for them.

Have to disagree with this,

The lack of an endgame in AOC made me stop playing before getting anywhere near 80, and cancelling my sub.

I would prefer if they had lowered their ambitions and instead provided a solid endgame.

This appears to be the thoughts behind what Mythic are doing and in the long run that could prove to be a much better decision.

A lot of my friends started playing AOC at the same time as me, and only 1 still does.

If WAR provides me with fun meaningful end game content and progression, which it still should in theory regardless of a few less classes/cities, then I see myself playing it for longer than I did AOC.

Oh and "Future No 1 game" ??? No chance in hell, aoc will never overtake WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well seeing as city fights ARE the END GAME in Warhammer then its kinda weird them focusing on the end game by taking 2/3rds of it out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Venom wrote: »
    Well seeing as city fights ARE the END GAME in Warhammer then its kinda weird them focusing on the end game by taking 2/3rds of it out :rolleyes:

Was there really going to be a big difference siegeing the dark elf city compared to the chaos one?

No. So again, its not a big deal. Don't be a sheep, think about how the changes actually affect the game.

How about you stop being a fanboi :rolleyes: Mytic are going the exact same route as SoE with releasing unfinished games and patching in stuff at a much later date.

And for your comment on how these changes will actually affect the game, how's this just for starters.......

The lack of those 4 classes equals on the most basic level no tanks for the DE and HE zones so for normal leveling gameplay such as PQ's,instance's,group quests and lower teir rvr just got a hell of a lot worse.

The lack of the melee and tank classes = a huge unbalance in a rvr game where ranged dps had a huge advantage all ready.

The lack of 4 city zones means the 2 remaining cites are going to be nothing more than zerg fests.

The only sheep around here is you welly, lose the rose colored glasses and think for yourself instead of taking the really bad PR spin as gospel. Mytic can talk the talk all right but when it comes to backing it up they fail bigtime as when you grandstand about your product being finished when its finished and stating there will be no stealth in your game as its just lame then adding stealth to random classes it shows how clueless the devs really are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Can hardly be more rushed than AoC, still looking forward to it. Not like this is gonna make me not play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Em, I'm sure it'll be added in a sequel. (Moneygrabbing bumwipes)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Well the cut back isnt a good thing but its not a bad thing like your trying to make it out to be.They have taken out 4 class's because they were gimped and the beta feedback wasnt good there going to redo them or add diffrent class post launch , You can easily travel from 1 beginer zone to another so finding a tank for pq's etc wont be to big of an issue.

The cities in war arent just a load of thrown together empty buildings there pritty much there own play area dungeons raid dungeon raid boss group dungeons etc so its better release a working city than a half assed one thats gonna piss people off with bugs all over the place. And its being released after launch the head guy jack what ever his name is has said they arent going to be in a xpack or the cut classses wont be in an xpack they will be put in post launch no extra charge because they were supose to be in for launch.

There lifting the beta nda EARLY so thats a good any beta leak info i read is good so im happy they decied to cut out broken classes and unfinsied cities till post launch.

Id rather a working game than one with 4 messed up cities.

ow and wow did not launch a finished game i played wow since beta and it was far from finished it was playable but not finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Id rather a working game than one with 4 messed up cities.

The point he was making was that they should finish the game and then release it, instead of releasing it to a deadline and finishing it afterwards. It's like Age Of Conan. There's loads of people complaining that they were basically paying for a beta of a game.

Yea i can see how people get that impression i think all mmo players are fed up with the state of things these days and aoc was a farse they blatently lied to people saying things were in the game when they werent.

The diffrence i see here is they have come out and told people this and this isnt making it into the game for launch so you can cancel your pre orders if your not happy with it so they wont feel like they have been scammed like they were with vanguard and aoc etc

Im actually glad they anounced it instead of keeping it a secret like failcom and sigil did

And i dont think they can hold it back again its already been held back 2 or 3 times ? so i guess there trying to make the best of a bad situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Its all EA I can bet! They are going to use that cut out content to make a million different expansions.. I can see it now. Warhammer Nightlife, Warhammer Pets, Warhammer Freetime etc

humanji wrote: »
    The point he was making was that they should finish the game and then release it, instead of releasing it to a deadline and finishing it afterwards. It's like Age Of Conan. There's loads of people complaining that they were basically paying for a beta of a game.

Im glad someone get's the point i was making :) And for the record according to other websites 2 of the pulled classes (choppa and Hammerer) have not been in the beta for over 8 months so of course there not going to be that good :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Seems Penny Arcade have the full explanation here

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/7/14/

After what I've seen of the AoC launch, I think I'd rather a slightly smaller set of complete content though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The rumoured reasons for the cuts seem to be:
    *Hammerer and Choppa were in beta for a while but the testers feedback was that they played crap.
    * Knight of the Blazing Sun was meant to be a "commander" style tank who buffed his team-mates with auras but led to people just hanging back and not charging up front like the class is meant to.
    * Black Guard didn't even make it to beta because Mythic weren't happy with it in internal testing for whatever reason.

As for holding content back for adding into a paid expansion, you mean like WoW does. Because Mark Jacobs (head of Mythic) has said that it will be patched in for free, not paid for.

And they he has also said they are paying close attention during this guild beta test faze how things work with the missing classes and if they have to there going to delay but i dout they will have another delay and guild beta is only for 2 weeks i think then its no more nda and open beta if i recall correctly and then im in with preorder ce woo aww :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

humanji wrote: »
    The point he was making was that they should finish the game and then release it, instead of releasing it to a deadline and finishing it afterwards.

If they did that the game would never come out. MMORPGs are never 'finished'.
    humanji wrote:
    It's like Age Of Conan. There's loads of people complaining that they were basically paying for a beta of a game.

While I won't deny that AoC is missing a lot of the content it promised, I will say that the majority of complaints from the 'loads of people' are petty and baseless. People levelling to max cap in 3 days then complaining they're bored, everyone's class is too nerfed and everyone else's class is OP etc etc. They were expecting a 100% working product on release, and that is something that will never ever happen with an mmorpg. Sure WoW was just as bad if not worse on release.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm actually happy they cut bits out of WAR if it will make for a better game initially. Whatever they cut out can be worked on later and thrown back in the game. As long as the thing works as its supposed to on launch - that's the main thing.

Its quite clear that Funcom bit off more than they can chew with AoC. Aside from balancing issues, there are a number of key, important quests which are still borked after several patches. That's a number of patches over many weeks which attempted to fix serious bugs and which failed. The latest patch yesterday purported to fix a serious quest bug and its still broken. That's maybe their 4th attempt at fixing that particular bug. It's pathetic.

Yea its looking good <- wink wink

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OctavarIan wrote: »
    While I won't deny that AoC is missing a lot of the content it promised, I will say that the majority of complaints from the 'loads of people' are petty and baseless. People levelling to max cap in 3 days then complaining they're bored, everyone's class is too nerfed and everyone else's class is OP etc etc. They were expecting a 100% working product on release, and that is something that will never ever happen with an mmorpg. Sure WoW was just as bad if not worse on release.

I didn't expect Funcom to have AOC finished, but some of the bugs are so blatantly obvious that there is no way they were not aware of them months before hand.

Also there is a huge lack of content 50+. Thats over half the game. Now I play a game to be entertained. AOC failed to do that 50+ so I cancelled and stopped playing.

Warhammer online seems to be doing things differently. That are being honest about what content will be at launch, something Funcom didn't do. And they are removing things from the game so that they can concentrate on releasing something that will keep you playing.

Advertisement