Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkey puzzle tree's

• 11-07-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭

Even though I posted this as a subject in Retro, its a real question too.
    Have monkey puzzle trees disappeared? I remember they were very popular when I was young in even small front gardens, but I cant remember the last time I actually seen one.
    I miss them I do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I know where two are growing here in cork. One is relatively young and is growing in someone's front garden, the other one is, I'm told, quite old and it's really tall. They're a rare sight though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There's a Monkey Puzzle avenue in Woodstock near Inistioge. An absolutely fabulous place to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

There are a few along The New Cabra Road in D 7. I seem to remember them being more common though too.

I remember I saw my first sparrowhawk in one many decades ago... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I know of a few certainly. One of my hobbies is woodturning, and monkey puzzle trees make great bowls .. the place where all the little side branches come out produces some amazing effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Archeron wrote: »
    Even though I posted this as a subject in Retro, its a real question too.
    Have monkey puzzle trees disappeared? I remember they were very popular when I was young in even small front gardens, but I cant remember the last time I actually seen one.
    I miss them I do.

Sign of the times I'm afraid, small spaces are unsuitable for large trees. But you do see the occasional example, there are a number around Rathgar/Terenure areas. Next time I'll take a pic and post it for you!:D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I know a few gardens that have mature monkey puzzles, but y'know what you never see them for sale now.

Very spikey boyos:eek:

Advertisement