Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athy Crime?

Options
  • 11-07-2008 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Anyone else getting up close and personal with Athy crime lately? The garda in a bulletproof vest that just went running past us walking in our usually-quiet estate this evening (half nine) was an uncomfortable sight. Evidently someone was setting off house alarms in the estate, and the gardaí came back twice to deal with it, the second time giving chase when whoever was making quite a racket trying to break in.

It was the first I've seen it in our estate, but with the recent reports in the papers I do start to wonder if crime will get worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Crime in Athy has gone down in the last decade... In regards to the bulletproof vests its not a case off "oh, its Athy guys, time to put on the vests", its compulsary for Garda to wear a vest when on the beat or call depending on the Garda's division. ie you wont see Traffic Corps wearing them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 load1234

eggs at my house.
    fake takeaway orders always arriving at my door.
    Kids trying to attack my property,
    bad phone calls.
    kicking my door at 1:00 AM and ring door bells.
    smashing houses walls and windows.
    gangs arrive at my door demanding moneying.
    spreading lies about me.
    maybe the garda will come if you call them and usually
    can take 1 hour, the gangs are gone when garda arrive.

What can be done ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I was working there last month. fitting a kitchen.

young lads ran in the open door. grabbed what they could and ran. hand tools.

that night . front door broke in and brand new cooker taken.

Tis gone wild up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭loveforcelbridg

Would athy be as bad as celbridge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It's a Stab Proof vest, not bullet proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 keep it tidy

load1234 wrote: »
    eggs at my house.
    bad phone calls.
    spreading lies about me.

What can be done ?

that sounds rough:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LauranceB

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Celbridge is as bad as Athy.

In defense of the people down there I think their main problem is from the traveling community; from what I've heard anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭loveforcelbridg

I take my question back, only heard now, 5 people in a car drove into my estate with glocks to kill someone .
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/gardai-foiled-hit-with-swoop-on-glock-gang-1977117.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

I take my question back, only heard now, 5 people in a car drove into my estate with glocks to kill someone .
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/gardai-foiled-hit-with-swoop-on-glock-gang-1977117.html

Allegedy they were in their way to do a hit in Clane when the Guards swooped in. My point is, crime is everywhere, regardless if its in Athy, Celbridge, Kildare, Dublin anywhere. Some areas are going to to be worse then others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

LauranceB wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Celbridge is as bad as Athy.

In defense of the people down there I think their main problem is from the traveling community; from what I've heard anyway.

Much as I would like to agree with you, I cant. The youths which I encountered where from the local council estate, where the house was. They even had their school uniforms on...
    I dont understand how parents let there children become so wayward.

The problem is stupid government, youths get caught go to court judge says because you are under 25 I will let you off, they can be let off as much as 10 times.

why are the garda not using wireless cameras, easier to caught when you have a picture and garda can not stay in one place at a time ?

Crime is easily solved if you have a smart government. Government tries to subpress the truth, not recording crime and other measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Bring back the days when the sgt would get you in a cell and knock six shades of s**t into you telling you never let him catch you in trouble again....allegidly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LauranceB

The court house attracts a lot of undesirables to congregate around the area too.

Feel sorry for anyone in the area having to deal with this crap. We're living in Maynooth in a settled estate but last year some bright spark decided to rent their house out to a large family on rent allowance. They caused bedlam; destroying property, threatening people you name it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

eggs at my house.
    bad phone calls.
    spreading lies about me.

What can be done ?

Lived in athy for years and I NEVER had a problem not once. If gangs are arriving at your door demanding money and people are spreading lies about you and your getting bad phonecalls that sounds like a personal problem you have with people in your estate or around the town....

Many houses are attacked regularly in Athy, my experiences are mild compared to some people, one thing is true anti-social behaviour is happening everywhere. It is impossible for every house to be attacked, it is in the local newspapers often, so you say the newspapers writers are telling lies, well I am keeping copies of these reports. I have give out my phone number to many people thinking it was a nice neighhour I was wrong. There was a guy screaming for a hour a week ago late at night
    not at my house did I ring the police no because they would not come. No house robberies or killings so that is positive where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tommy666

ive lived in athy all my life and yeah there is crime but there is crime everywhere the biggest problem in athy is there is not one single thing to do except get wasted ha, anyway maybe if there was more things to do people wouldnt get bored and cause trouble for fun. there still is alota decent people in the town, athy needs something new !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

Many houses are attacked regularly in Athy, my experiences are mild compared to some people, one thing is true anti-social behaviour is happening everywhere. It is impossible for every house to be attacked, it is in the local newspapers often, so you say the newspapers writers are telling lies, well I am keeping copies of these reports. I have give out my phone number to many people thinking it was a nice neighhour I was wrong. There was a guy screaming for a hour a week ago late at night
    not at my house did I ring the police no because they would not come. No house robberies or killings so that is positive where I live.

I have never heard of any houses being attacked what do you mean exactly by this? The worst I've heard is eggs at halloween which is a happens everywhere... I have no idea what you mean by newpapers telling lies and keeping reports?
    And if you are getting phonecalls all day and night change your number with eircom and dont give it out again-simple. If a man stood outside your house screaming at you for an hour late at night the guards would come up if you call. Im surprised another neighbour didnt call, it surely must have bothered or scared all your neighbours??

not me, some people get smashed windows and smashed walls. The guy screaming was down the road with a gang, the police do not come late at night my experience maybe they are somewhere else with a crime. I am puzzle why other neighbours did not ring the police.

A shop window got smashed in athy town I saw the wood cover on the window.

Beer is cheaper in the supermarket than the pub so people party as they walk and on the street. Beer bottles and cans are on the street.

They throw eggs all the time in athy.

Running down the street at 1:30 AM and 3:30 AM screaming and shouting throwing eggs and some flashes of lights, I guess they where trying to break the street lights.

12 to 18 year olds do not go to jail so crime is attractive for this group of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

They throw eggs all the time in athy.

Running down the street at 1:30 AM and 3:30 AM screaming and shouting throwing eggs and some flashes of lights, I guess they where trying to break the street lights.

12 to 18 year olds do not go to jail so crime is attractive for this group of people.

eh! no they dont.
    you need to get out and talk to people meet people and stop being afraid.
    get out from behind the curtains.
    i have not had a single problem not one since moving to athy 4 years ago.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

The Garda stop a sword fight in Athy, was in the local
    newspaper. So yes they do, you can read it yourself.

I saw screaming teenagers throwing eggs and trying to
    break street lights early morning only twice
    in 5 years. You might be a good sleeper.

Advertisement