Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soul Calibur IV

Options
  • 11-07-2008 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

Thought this belongs in this forum, since it's multi-format. Is anyone else super hyped for this? I was playing the XBLA version of SC with one of the lads today, so my excitement has gone up!

Do you think the SW characters ruin the integrity of the series? I don't, I just think they're a fun extra, like Link/Spawn/Heihachi in 2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

this is making me consider buying a PS3, I would already if I knew the ins and outs of hooking one up to my monitor , I think the xbox users got a bum deal with yoda ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Yep, Vader is making me strongly consider getting the PS3 version! But the achievements in the 360 version are gonna push me towards that version, I think. Besides, Yoda stands out more, Vader and Starkiller are pretty similar. At least, that's what I'm telling myself...!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I don't see how anyone could see Vader and Yoda as a selling point of the game, as a long time fan of the series it just puts me off completely. It's just so corny and the whole concept doesn't make sense, it's funny but how do swords not get destroyed by a lightsaber? I'll probably stay miles away from the Star Wars character, personally cant wait to play as Talim.

I'd definitely go with the 360 version on this one for online play and achievements

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

cant f**kin wait tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I would consider getting this on the PS3 but once again like so many other games the lack of M.Bison is seriously putting me off :(

Azza wrote: »
    I would consider getting this on the PS3 but once again like so many other games the lack of M.Bison is seriously putting me off :(

ah dont worry, Cervantes has a flaming torpedo type move u can whore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ahh dreamcast days......Sc was class

whats with Sw being in this game ???? run out ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

can't wait for this to get released. I remember playing SC3 for a whole day when I was over at a friends house in Canada. He had a whole HT setup in his basement, complete with mini fridge, laz-e-boys, keg and nachos, we had around 10 guys over and played SC3 for the whole day, playing winner stays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Just picked up SC1 on XBLA.

Brings back memories of staggering out of someones house in college at 6 in the morning after playing an epic session of winner stays on.

*sniff*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

robby^5 wrote: »
    I'd definitely go with the 360 version on this one for online play and achievements

Reckon I'll go for the PS3 version myself. I'm usually a massive fan of the 360 controller, but it just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for fighting games...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oooh I'd love to have this, played its predecessors on all formats, ps3 controller was best all right.

tman wrote: »
    Reckon I'll go for the PS3 version myself. I'm usually a massive fan of the 360 controller, but it just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for fighting games...

yeah its complete balls for them tbh.

the best pad i ever used for soul calibur was the big Xbox 1 pad. 6 buttons on the face.

the s-pad decided to make it a challenge for u to press the white and black buttons.

the snes pad is still the best for anything ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

tman wrote: »

yeah the D-pad on the 360 is sh!te. It's absolutely horrible to try and pull off any advanced directional combos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be getting it for the 360. 360 pad may be crap for fighting games but the PS3 pad is far worse the d-pad is unuseable for me. I find for soul calibur the analogue sticks work a lot better than a d-pad and suit the game perfectly since there aren't really any circular motion moves like in street fighter. The 360 pad is absolutely useless for street fighter type games. I use to play SC2 on the Gamecube and the Analogue stick worked fine. However for SF2 on the Wii it's utterly hopeless, same with any capcom fighter game on the PS2 or 360. So 360 for me since the analogue sticks on the PS3 pad are horrendous. Pity it's not coming to the Wii. I want Link and Gamecube controllers :(

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

If you guys go to www.shoryuken.com and have a look at the forums tech section they all recommend arcade sticks that are custom built or Hori sticks.

These guys are serious fighting game fanatics and would not even consider even any of these games on a regular joypad and I would agree with them.

Thinking of getting Hori controllers for the PC (MAME, Street Fighter IV) and PS3 (Soul Calibur IV and ST2 HD)

Looking around I think to buy them you would have to go to ebay or the like.

Glad to see there's interest in this game here, I haven't seen it mentioned much. The possibility of getting it for the PS3 and the 360 has been in my head, but that's utterly mad, isn't it?! I wish I didn't love SW so much, I really want achievements AND Vader. If only they'd confirm that the guests will be DLC. I suspect my budget will quickly put an end to this craziness though!

The only version of SC II that I didn't play was the Xbox one, was Spawn any good? I had the GC one, Link was excellent and he probably fit in the best. I didn't think much of Heihachi, since he didn't even use real weapons!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Mr. K wrote: »
    The only version of SC II that I didn't play was the Xbox one, was Spawn any good? I had the GC one, Link was excellent and he probably fit in the best. I didn't think much of Heihachi, since he didn't even use real weapons!

Spawn is a pretty good character with some good moves and good damage. I always thought he looked a little better than he played, lots of dramatic moves, flashing lights, fireballs etc ... but the damage he dished out didn't seem to quite match the noise & the fury.

As a Tekken fan, I thought Heihachi is actually a pretty good character if you were prepared to invest time. With no weapon, his range is short, but he inflicts a lot of damage and is quick too.

So ... I'm now in a quandry. I still play SC on the Dreamcast, PS/2 or XBox(stop laughing), and I don't have a PS3 or 360.

Looking at the teasers for SC IV, I know I have to get the game, but I don't know which console.

Getting both consoles is out of my budget - I'm leaning towards the 360.

It comes down to which SW character you prefer, I guess!

But looking beyond SC IV, the 360 has more going for it, I think. I only bought a PS3 a few weeks ago, MGS4 broke me. I still think the 360 is a better console overall, unless you must have a Blu-Ray player.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have the 360 and playing SCIV as Yoda was one of the reasons I got it :D

*REALLY* looking forward to this game, nearly creamed my pants when I saw the screenshots. Looking at getting some manner of arcade stick type controller for it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Screw the Star Wars characters - have you guys even oggled the guest artists' ladies?

Now THERE's some cool designs!
    • Angol Fear (designed by guest artist Mine Yoshizaki)
    • Ashlotte (designed by guest artist Oh! great)
    • Kamikirimusi (designed by guest artist Hirokazu Hisayuki)
    • Scheherazade (designed by guest artist Yutaka Izubuchi)
    • Shura (designed by guest artist Hiroya Oku)

For guys looking for sticks: Play-Asia have a good selection. Also try out NCSX. For reviews of sticks, try SD Tekken.

For those looking to build (raises hand): Slagcoin's Joysticks page is all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'll get this for Xbox 360, best of 2 bad d-pads imo. Never played any in the series so will be nice to see if it lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

L31mr0d wrote: »
    yeah the D-pad on the 360 is sh!te. It's absolutely horrible to try and pull off any advanced directional combos.
    I hate the 360 controller's D Pad with every fibre of my being.
    Have busted 3 seperate d pads playing SFII & III online.
    What with SFIV coming and SCiV in a few weeks it's about time I got a stick.
    Kharn wrote: »
    Looking at getting some manner of arcade stick type controller for it now.

Had a look at Play Asia for Hori Sticks and they have this beauty delivered for €70:pac:

Can anyone recommend either the stick or the site?
    And would customs hit this up with extra tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The site is well kosher, have bought serveral items from them before.

As for customs, could be the look of the draw tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I've got the Premium Edition preordered at Gamestop. I love the series and can't wait for this one :)

I think there is a shop in England who ship those Hori sticks to Ireland. I came across them before Christmas, when I was looking for an X-Arcade tankstick

Let me have a root ... or maybe someone here knows ?

Balfa wrote: »
    I've got the Premium Edition preordered at Gamestop. I love the series and can't wait for this one :)

Is that the edition with the T-Shirt? I thought that was US exclusive?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

whats the release date for this ?

MooseJam wrote: »
    whats the release date for this ?

American release date is July 29th ... according to Google.

Several sites have this, mostly PS3 related sites though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A-Trak wrote: »
    Had a look at Play Asia for Hori Sticks and they have this beauty delivered for €70:pac:

Can anyone recommend either the stick or the site?
    And would customs hit this up with extra tax?

Having owned a Fighting Stick 2 (which is basically a PS2 version of this), I'll recommend to either get a custom, or a Real Arcade Pro -- Hori's normal models are good but the buttons get spongy/broken quickly, and the stick's average.

For best results, a HRAP (even used) + new Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons (from ArcadeShop.de or AkihabaraShop.co.jp) is the de-facto standard.

Also, say "NO" to X-Arcade sticks.

Advertisement