Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soul Calibur IV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

oooh - looking into those Hori sticks now - thanks for the info on that all. They do look rather cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Hori sticks are the best. I don't understand why people are using pads to play fighting games, I find it extremely hard to control my char with a pad. Looking forward to playing some of you guys when SC comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Kharn wrote: »
    oooh - looking into those Hori sticks now - thanks for the info on that all. They do look rather cool :)

Buy me one will ya. :D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah the HRAP 3 (Hori Real Arcade Pro 3) seems like its the best bet. Should work with the PS3 and PC just fine. I might modify them if its not to difficult with Sanwa or Seimitsu parts later if needed.

Having a dual X-Arcade controller for the PC I would say they are fine but for the fact that due to issues with input lag from the USB connector you are best using the PS2 connector. But unfortantly most new motherboards don't supply much power to the PS2 connector which results in the controls sometimes sticking for a few seconds in a certain direction. Build quailty is good although looking back it could use abit of extra space between the 2 control sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,912 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SW charactors are stupid in it. A light Saber should rip through every charactor in the game - it is why they are so cool and the use of the Force should mean that the SW charactors are unstopable. But it won't. They'll have gimped them. Lame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

chill out dude, it's just a bit of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Having owned a Fighting Stick 2 (which is basically a PS2 version of this), I'll recommend to either get a custom, or a Real Arcade Pro -- Hori's normal models are good but the buttons get spongy/broken quickly, and the stick's average.

For best results, a HRAP (even used) + new Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons (from ArcadeShop.de or AkihabaraShop.co.jp) is the de-facto standard.

Also, say "NO" to X-Arcade sticks.

Cheers K.O.Kiki, I had a look at the sites (2nd link seems borked though.)

TBH a bespoke setup seems a bit frightening, with all the components etc.
    How easy/hard is it to put together, changing cards on a PC is about as techy as I get with hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Hmm well I'll need to get the moneh together for a PS3 first but I already have a Hori Real Arcade Pro for PS2. Any way that'll work with the PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@Creature: There are lots of PS2-to-PS3 converters around, but it seems a lot of them have input lag. Check SDTekken's reviews.
    An idea might be to split the buttons' wires, with one set going to the HRAP's PS2 board, and another set of wires soldered to a PS3 PCB (ripped from a pad).

@A-Trak: bespoke setup either requires a screwdriver and, possibly, a soldering iron (if just changing buttons & sticks in a commercial case)... or a whole workshop (if making full wood-built customs) :D
    Also, that link should've been to AkihabaraShop.jp - was working from memory ;)

@Azza: HRAPs come with Sanwa JLF sticks (one of, if not THE, best sticks out there). The buttons are 30mm Hori snap-ins in most models; you can easily change them for 30mm Sanwa or Seimitsu snap-ins as they use quick disconnects :) . You could also get an 8-way restrictor gate to replace the standard square gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jbrow

Jazzy wrote: »
    cant f**kin wait tbh

Damn straight,
    I ruled with Taki on Soul Edge, and then the rest of the series.
    This one will be no different...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jbrow

Speaking of SC4, does anyone know where i can get a few tshirts for this game.
    Looked in the usual places but no sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Uthred

Anyone here if street date has been broken here yet? Several places in the US and UK have sold them early.

Tauren wrote: »
    SW charactors are stupid in it. A light Saber should rip through every charactor in the game - it is why they are so cool and the use of the Force should mean that the SW charactors are unstopable. But it won't. They'll have gimped them. Lame.

Every time I see this complaint it makes my brain weep. Its a crossover from two different universes, who says their physics have to mesh? And while your pondering that why dont you explain why lightsabers dont pass through one another and have finite length? Or why the normal swords in Soul Calibur dont kill people in a single hit? Or how about all the magic swords and living demons made of magma or animated suits of armour ? I mean theyre all perfectly reasonable its the fact that lightsabers dont "p0wnz" thats shattering the gritty factual world of soulcalbiur, sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Exactly. And it'd kinda suck if the SW characters won every fight in a single hit.

It seems the five new bonus characters are just palette swaps and use the movesets of existing characters. Big time suckage.

Creature wrote: »
    It seems the five new bonus characters are just palette swaps and use the movesets of existing characters. Big time suckage.

The fact that they use the movesets of existing characters has been floating around for a while now. But considering that theyre different models Im unsure what you mean by paletter swap considering that usually means an identical game model recoloured.

Uthred wrote: »
    The fact that they use the movesets of existing characters has been floating around for a while now. But considering that theyre different models Im unsure what you mean by paletter swap considering that usually means an identical game model recoloured.

Let's just hope you can choose any move set for any of the bonus characters in the character customization mode. Then I don't mind at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Anyone here if street date has been broken here yet? Several places in the US and UK have sold them early.

Smiths or Tesco normally break them first, but only by a day or 2 :rolleyes:

But considering that theyre different models Im unsure what you mean by paletter swap considering that usually means an identical game model recoloured.

Ok wrong choice of words. You know what I mean though.

Creature wrote: »
    Ok wrong choice of words. You know what I mean though.

Yeah but its a message board on the internet, Im duty bound to nit-pick ;) To a certain extent I think the guest characters from various manga artists are meant to be as much an example of the CAS (Create a Soul) mode as they are bonus content.

• Advertisement

It could be (and this is me guessing) them trying to show off the character creation tool for the specific purpose of licencing it out to other games/companies. Great way to recoup dev costs - look at the Unreal Engine, Havok Physics etc. It could also be that they just wanted to make the most of their first forray into Hi-Def gaming with the series.

Questions about the create-a-character

1. Does anyone know if you can play them in the versus game?

2. What's the max no. of create-a-character's you can have?

3. Can you give them lightsabers? :D

1) I think this is a yes - you mean Human v Human fight's yea? Certainly it was the case in 3 that you could use your custom characters in versus fights. I also believe they've expanded this to include the online fights.

2) Was a pretty big number in SC3, can't see them making it smaller on devices that now have hard disks.

3) I'd say they'll be either an unlockable choice or something you have to spend retarded amounts of "credits" (or whatever they'll call the ingame money) that you earn from the single player.

Great, really looking forward to the 31st now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Played this last night. Dunno what all the fuss is about. :confused:

I'll wait till SF4 thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭umpsfar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ill get it.

Soul Calibur was the game i got bundled with my Dreamcast, as a gamble, and i loved it.

Cant wait to play as Mitsurugi. Kilic was a beast aswell.

Anywhere broke street date on this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah looks like Soul Calibur is already out in the states. Any word on a release date over here?

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    yeah looks like Soul Calibur is already out in the states. Any word on a release date over here?

1st of August which is tomorrow. Can't wait to play this. :D

Advertisement