Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 1Gb ISP Promo

• 11-07-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just logged into my vodafone homepage to ensure a 500MB add on was in effect on my account - When looking at add ons i noticed what appears to be a new add on "Vodafone 1Gb ISP Promo"

VodafoneAddons.jpg

Im sure that wasnt there last week when i added the 500mb add on.

Has anyone come across this already?
    Anygood?
    I would much rather go through my ISP access point rather than vodafone live for the same price.

Anyone know any details about this so called "promo"?
    How many MB are in a Gb?

Also noticed another add on "Monthly 5GB Data Add On Bundle " for Eur 24.79.
    Never seen that there either although as it doesnt state anything about ISP on that one i prob wouldnt go for it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

strecker wrote: »

GB and Gb are completly different :)
    Answered my own question, 1 Gb = 128MB, not so bad i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

GB is GigaByte. Gb is GigaBit.

I think. Been a while since CompOrg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

1GB is 1024 MB, nothing else..

bit is used when measuring download and upload speeds for example 384 kbps.

byte is used when measuring how much download you allowed in a certain bundle, for example 1 GB.

• Advertisement

The question is , do these bundles work abroad for the same price, in the same manner as the 500 MB works in any country with the live apn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

I gave vodafone a call and they said that it was GB .. but the operator could have been confused :( .If it is 1 GB, its a big improvement over there crippled mobile internet package.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

foobar wrote: »
    I gave vodafone a call and they said that it was GB .. but the operator could have been confused :( .If it is 1 GB, its a big improved over there crippled mobile internet package.

Id say she was confused alright.
    If that was a 1GB ISP package id pounce on it - Still, i guess 128MB of ISP access for Euro10 isnt so bad for those using applications that have to go through the ISP Access point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I called voda about this and they knew nothing about it! Didn't show up on any of their pages. My vofafone (my account) is not working so I can't check it out for myself.

Anyone else confirm this add on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

it's definitely 1GB. it's for national usage. roaming rates apply as per each country and network used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

elderlemon wrote: »
    I called voda about this and they knew nothing about it! Didn't show up on any of their pages. My vofafone (my account) is not working so I can't check it out for myself.

Anyone else confirm this add on?

It an option alright , as i selected it yesterday. When i first called vodafone, the operator hadn't heard of it either and when she logged into her own vodafone profile she couldnt see that option :o. She thinks it might be rolled out to a limited amount of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

I rang about this today, the operator told me it was for the iphone, I suggested they don't sell the iphone but she insisted that was what its for.

Do any of the vodafone packages combine data used while surfing on the handset and data used when using your phone as a modem? I had the 500MB Mobile Internet addon and assumed it covered both... Nasty surprise. Operators haven't a clue...

I rang customer services and they didn't know anything about it. Was on to a very nice tech support girl on another issue and asked about it and hey presto its going to on my account tomorrow. Its a regular ISP access point so anything that goes through that access point will come out of the 1GB. So if you use the internet on the handset with the isp access point or connect a laptop and use the same access point then there should be no surprises.

jimogr wrote: »
    I rang about this today, the operator told me it was for the iphone, I suggested they don't sell the iphone but she insisted that was what its for.

Do any of the vodafone packages combine data used while surfing on the handset and data used when using your phone as a modem? I had the 500MB Mobile Internet addon and assumed it covered both... Nasty surprise. Operators haven't a clue...

I have a nokia 6234 and I cannot seem to change the access point for internet access on the handset - its locked to live.vodafone.ie

hey presto its going to on my account tomorrow.

so what is it going to cost?

€8.25 ex vat

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Or €9.99 inc Vat per Month.

I got it added today but will not be in place till nxt month (billing period)
    The nice girl I was chatting to had no idea of what it was Just it's 1GB for ISP.
    She said as soon as they were told what it was she would give me a call.

Hopefully it's not just a "PROMO"

Mik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Yeah just signed up for it too. Looks pretty good, can use all the apps you want on ISP, 2x the data and the same price. The lad I spoke to a the red beast HQ said it was there to stay. We shall see...

Works out at average of about 34 meg usage a day over a 30 day month.

Never got a definitive answer from anyone either here or at vodafone about the difference between live and isp. Some say that if you go to live website first then you can get full internet access for all your apps and some say it is just with isp.

Anyone care to clear this up once and for all? I know getting an answer is hard as you get told different things by different vodafone customer support people...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

Anyone care to clear this up once and for all? I know getting an answer is hard as you get told different things by different vodafone customer support people...

The difference between each is the connection settings you use when connecting to the Internet.

There are 3 main connections that Voda customers can use to connect to the Internet (Packet connection):

ISP
    isp.vodafone.ie or hs.vodafone.ie
    This is a general internet connection that functions in the same way as your standard ISP connection. It allows you to connect directly to the Internet, with most of the ports open (I think they block or restrict some ports for BT, but could be corrected on this).

LIVE

live.vodafone.com
    The live connection is aimed at customers browsing the mobile Internet. This connection is routed through a content optimisation engine which is supposed to render web sites for viewing on a mobile handsets. Virtually all ports apart from 80 have previously been blocked on this. (Although they have opened a number for IMAP and email recently)

MMS
    mms.vodafone.net
    The MMS connection is for the sending and receiving of MMS messages. When you send an MMS message the phone connects to Voda and uploads the MMS message content for transmission. Similarly when you receive a new MMS message your phone connects to Voda to download the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Thanks cyberspider...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

jimogr wrote: »

As long as you set the browser on the phone to use the isp.vodafone.ie access point it will all come off the same add on .. so you can use the €10 1gb add on or the €29 5gb add on to both surf on your phone and to use as a modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

LIVE

live.vodafone.com
    The live connection is aimed at customers browsing the mobile Internet. This connection is routed through a content optimisation engine which is supposed to render web sites for viewing on a mobile handsets. Virtually all ports apart from 80 have previously been blocked on this. (Although they have opened a number for IMAP and email recently)

Port 80 and 443 are blocked on live(well they are for me) you need to go through the proxy at 10.24.59.100, imap and pop3 ports are wide open for a few weeks now which is good. Everything is nat'd (all users come from one external ip address), i wish they would open up more ports. But it's a good deal since it includes roaming, ive used it in quite a few countries with no problem on gprs/edge, had one or two issues with 3g especially in the US, it just wont connect, but switching to GPRS/EDGE does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

I assumed it was 1Gb and not 1GB but signed up anyway. Will know when I start using it I suppose :)

Its GB (byte). In broadband gigabit is only ever used for speed definitions, not for volume of data.
    atlantean wrote: »
    I assumed it was 1Gb and not 1GB but signed up anyway. Will know when I start using it I suppose :)

In broadband gigabit is only ever used for speed definitions, not for volume of data.

My thinking as well - but you never know what some companies will come up with these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

Its GB (byte). In broadband gigabit is only ever used for speed definitions, not for volume of data.

If you look at the HTML page source, you'll see the 1Gb package (€9.99) buys a 15MB package and the 25MB package (€12.39) is just that. The €9.99 500MB mobile internet add on is something else.

Being as clear as 0xegen mud, I called them and the helpful person tried to put me through the data team as he agreed that it was confusing.
    They were too busy...

He did say that the 1Gb package didn't include hs.vodafone.ie usage but he did think it was 1GB. He couldn't explain why this was cheaper than the 500MB mobile internet bundle, though.

I have sent in an email query.

Vodafone seems to go out of their way to make it confusing. The O2 and Meteor 3G price details are clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

this is defo 1GB i.e double the 500MB mobile internet add on .. its a promotional data add on to allow Vodafone users of the iPhone use the iPhone at a comparable price to O2.

The 15MB package and the 25MB package are around years and although they still exist they a practically obsolete. There is also a 5GB addon for €29.99 per month which allows the use of both the isp access point and the hs access point.

If you look at the HTML page source, you'll see the 1Gb package (€9.99) buys a 15MB package and the 25MB package (€12.39) is just that. The €9.99 500MB mobile internet add on is something else.

Being as clear as 0xegen mud, I called them and the helpful person tried to put me through the data team as he agreed that it was confusing.
    They were too busy...

He did say that the 1Gb package didn't include hs.vodafone.ie usage but he did think it was 1GB. He couldn't explain why this was cheaper than the 500MB mobile internet bundle, though.

Vodafone seems to go out of their way to make it confusing. The O2 and Meteor 3G price details are clear.

I also emailed them and got this back (after 3 days waiting for a reply)
    Thank you for contacting us with your query. This add on will cover
    any internet connection using the isp apn. Thus if you use the phone
    as a modem it will be covered by this add on.
    Vodafone live! uses the live apn so is not covered by this add on.
    But you can access the internet on the phone by using the isp apn
    instead.

Live charges can be found through this link
    http://www.vodafone.ie/vlive/costs/

I just checked the Vodafone website to see what my remaining balance was - 62.87MB :eek:

Granted, I used it a bit last night and again this morning but there is no way I used over 900MB in 19 hours :mad:

I have my doubts that the 1Gb ISP Promo gives you 1GB of data!

• Advertisement

You think thats bad - you should see my bill. Instead of putting me on the 1GB (and yes I asked the data support people today to confirm it) they put me on a 1MB option - on my plan I can't check my data usage online (family plan) so I was very shocked to see I had used 30MB over my 1MB limit !!!

I just checked the Vodafone website to see what my remaining balance was - 62.87MB :eek:

Granted, I used it a bit last night and again this morning but there is no way I used over 900MB in 19 hours :mad:

I have my doubts that the 1Gb ISP Promo gives you 1GB of data!

Advertisement