Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Industrial unrest at WIT?

• 11-07-2008 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Having popped in to the Cork Rd campus acouple of times in the last weeks, I've noticed a couple of SIPTU circulars stuck on the entrance doors.
    The 1st was about from what I remember ,some sort of industrial action by 'attendants' at the college. Are these the same as porters?
    As of last Thursday their was another notice regarding a meeting about the unions response to the outsourceing of cleaning in the new Tourisim and Leisure building.

Is this just normal SIPTU sabre rattling or something potentially more disruptive to students on their return in September?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im in the college everyday and it seems business as usual. Iv seen those posters up on noticeboards throughout the year, IIRC.

I think there are always little problems, isnt there a problem with CHART allocating grinds to students? Has to be given by Postgrads and not WIT Employes or somthing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Iv seen those posters up on noticeboards throughout the year, IIRC

Yeah your probably right, I was just concentrating on my studies through the year so much I've only noticed them now:D

I suppose being such a big employer your bound to get a few problems, but I was thinking the beginning of cleaning outsourceing will give some of the existing cleaners the shivers, with plenty of room for improvement in that whole department it might not be a bad thing either.
    No doubt the car parking issue with the TUI will put in an appearance again on day1 in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭FrankieMul

Close to 1000 employees always going to be unrest especially when one organisation has several different company's working from it such as campus services!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

FrankieMul wrote: »
    Close to 1000 employees always going to be unrest especially when one organisation has several different company's working from it such as campus services!

Are you suggesting Campus Services are the main cause of unrest? :p

No im suggesting that when you have several differenet companys trying to operate from one organisation pay levels and work loads may differ causing not so much jealously amongst staff but inequality leading to disputes especially due to the rapid expansion of WIT

• Advertisement

No im suggesting that when you have several differenet companys trying to operate from one organisation pay levels and work loads may differ causing not so much jealously amongst staff but inequality leading to disputes especially due to the rapid expansion of WIT

I know, I was joking :) I assume you work within WIT?

Student Ents officer from last year! Just tuned in! Oh ya just noticed the smiley! Nice sarcasm!

Student Ents officer from last year! Just tuned in! Oh ya just noticed the smiley! Nice sarcasm!

Ahhhhhhhh I should have noticed with the name. My bad. Welcome to Boards :p

Well i felt seems i read them daily and was getting pissed with the half truths so siad i should do something about it! And also i felt to put my name beside my word!

There is industrial action being taken at the moment.. just some SIPTU members refusing to do some work, not sure what. Its something to do with the cleaning of the new Tourism and Leisure building... a vote was taken and the large number said - go take action.

Notices up around the college today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

but won't all this action delay the opening of the new tourism building .... i believe it is fantastic inside !!

a shame to leave it sitting there.

This wont happen because as the space is required due to the 6-7 new course this year outside contractors will be hired to cross pickets or overtime on staff from different unions may be used who are willing to cross picket. Modern times modern approach!

Advertisement