Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone (landline) bought in NI

Options
  • 11-07-2008 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Bought a phone (landline) in Northern Ireland - a BT Graphite 1500. It charged up alright and seems to be working, but I cannot get a ring tone - is there any technical reason why it wouldn't work?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 comixstop

The old phone works fine (so I know the eircom line is ok). I tried connecting the NI phone with the old cable but you can't get a dial tone, everything else works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

UK landlines use the outer two wires of the 4-wire line (black and red or orange-white and white-orange in newer wiring, T2 and R2) while Irish lines use red and green or white-blue and blue-white, R1 and T1.

You need to get an RJ11-->BT adapter to shift the connection from your socket's R1 and T1 to T2 and R2. They're around €8.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, you'll need that RJ11-BT adaptor, as it also has a capacitor inside to make phones ring when used in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 comixstop

Got the adaptor, phone is working!

thank-you

Advertisement